Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the light. Kept driving. Everything running fine.

Borrowed my neighbors scan tool.

It had one code- #0154? It says it's and O2 sensor?
Cleared it with the tool.
Drove to and from work yesterday- about 70 miles- no more lights.
I leave swim practice for work this morning- light is back on.
I'll have it read at AutoZone on the way home today.

Probably the same light/code.

I did a search just for that # in the titles- didn't see anything.

What would you do?
My choices are keep driving it.
Read the code- if the same- replace the 02 sensor. However I've read numerous posts about something similar and replacing the 02 sensor didn't fix it.
It's often some other cause- being read as the O2 sensor?

Case in point- about 6 months ago I had many codes, misfires in all cylinders, etc.
It ran fine. I cleared the codes- those never came back. Cost $0!

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Unless you suspect air/fuel mixture problems, the code is for the top, front O2 Sensor. Inspect wire, clean connection. Replace it if the code persists.

You did close up your air intake not long ago. The throttle body may could use a good cleaning, front side and back.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top, front bank O2 sensor? Thanks

I haven't even looked at it yet. I'll get the codes read again by AZ on the way home today.
See which codes their scanner comes up with? Hopefully only one and the same one.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
The top, front bank O2 sensor? Thanks

I haven't even looked at it yet. I'll get the codes read again by AZ on the way home today.
See which codes their scanner comes up with? Hopefully only one and the same one.
Correct, the easiest O2 sensor to replace. 👍

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Correct, the easiest O2 sensor to replace. 👍
That was my thought as well when replacing both O2 sensors on my son’s Highlander. I’m grateful that the one under the engine in a cramped space came out easily while the upper one created a set back. I carefully re-tapped the hole and got some threads back. Be sure to use sparingly either the supplied anti-seize or copper version. The backup plan was to weld a bung onto the manifold.
Gas Auto part Wood Plumbing Automotive wheel system
Jaw Art Snout Artifact Sculpture

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
For best results use OEM or NGK
👍
Ah man, the easiest to replace, but the most expensive!

Avoid Bosch like the plauge.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my thought as well when replacing both O2 sensors on my son’s Highlander. I’m grateful that the one under the engine in a cramped space came out easily while the upper one created a set back. I carefully re-tapped the hole and got some threads back. Be sure to use sparingly either the supplied anti-seize or copper version. The backup plan was to weld a bung onto the manifold. View attachment 148146 View attachment 148147
That's NOT what mine looks like! I thought it was the top O2 sensor, right up front - behind the cooling fans. I looked at it yesterday. Sprayed it w/ carb cleaner, etc.

👍
Ah man, the easiest to replace, but the most expensive!
View attachment 148150
Avoid Bosch like the plauge.
NG- That ways NTK?

A local AutoZone has one in stock- front upper 02 sensor- NGK-$115.
However, if this is shipped free and quick, maybe I'll get that one?

AND- Ya'll didnt even mention that (after reading an older post) you have to take the whole plug bracket off the front head- to get the plug off the bracket- to get the plug apart!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

OK, an NTK? States actual OEM part would be $6 shipping, and would take a week.

I don't mind spending $15-20 more and getting NGK from Auto zone- a local return too if needed.

** Any tricks for getting that plug/wire off? I've read you have to take it off the bracket first?

Luckily it still runs smooth and well. I hate driving with a check engine light though LOL

NG, or others, I looked for a good picture of this Bank 2 Sensor 1 , but couldn't get a good one to post.
It's NOT what the one that was posted though.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my thought as well when replacing both O2 sensors on my son’s Highlander. I’m grateful that the one under the engine in a cramped space came out easily while the upper one created a set back. I carefully re-tapped the hole and got some threads back. Be sure to use sparingly either the supplied anti-seize or copper version. The backup plan was to weld a bung onto the manifold. View attachment 148146 View attachment 148147
Oh, now I realize this was on a Toy Yoda you were working on? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NTK is Original Equipment.
I didn't see NGK on RockAuto.
OK, then maybe when I checked AZ locally via phone call, when I said NGK, they saw the NTK- which was at least $40 more than the Bosch they also have LOL.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
View attachment 148181

OK, an NTK? States actual OEM part would be $6 shipping, and would take a week.
I don't mind spending $15-20 more and getting NGK from Auto zone- a local return too if needed.
NGK
NTK
Denso
I would choose any of these according to price and availability.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
** Any tricks for getting that plug/wire off? I've read you have to take it off the bracket first?
There is a release on the wire harness that holds it to the metal bracket. This can break off easily if not careful (old and brittle). I don't recall having to remove it to unclip the O2 sensor from it.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
OK, then maybe when I checked AZ locally via phone call, when I said NGK, they saw the NTK- which was at least $40 more than the Bosch they also have LOL.
Bosch O2 sensors

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,463 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Just put black tape over the light. It is all emission related. Does not effect drivability . Just ignore it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have an O2 sensor socket?
No, and with a wrench there is little to no room to turn it too! I'll cut the wires if I have too LOL

Just put black tape over the light. It is all emission related. Does not effect drivability . Just ignore it.
Yeah/Naw- Not going that route. IIRC- it can affect the injectors and the a/f ratio?

Or if you want to go total barbaric just cut the wires and use a deep socket but there will be no turning back 😂
'Total Barbarian', that's me LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts