Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal I received a barrel of Mobile 1 5w20 for next to nothing ..(free with a case of 24 pack ) a local garage went out of business could the 5w20 be used in the Gen 2 pilot ? .The 2015 recommends in the book 0w20 . I am very aware what the book says but I have so much oil "on hand"

I don't have any Caramel popcorn in stock for long stories ..just a simple yes or no will do... :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Go for it. The 2009-2011's have the same engine and use 5w20, then Honda switched to 0w20 in our gen. Comparing M1 specs from their site, everything's close enough that your engine won't know the difference:

0w20 HTHS: 2.7
Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt: 8.7
Viscosity, @ 40ºC: 44.8

5w20 HTHS: 2.67
Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt: 8.6
Viscosity, @ 40ºC: 49

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
If I were in you situation I probably would... (insert owner's manual disclaimer here)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Man, you lucked out. You’re set for life on oil for your Pilot and then some!!!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all I missed out on the filters some local brats took a hammer to them...

Happy motoring all

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd go with the high mileage oil instead, but this is just me. Maybe half and half would do.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I don't know what my wife would say if I came home with a barrel of lube. ?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what my wife would say if I came home with a barrel of lube. ?
funny.... Mine had the deer in headlights look when I said you got anything planned for tonight ? ?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd go with the high mileage oil instead, but this is just me. Maybe half and half would do.
Me too but there was really not much left when I got there ... they cleaned out everything that was real value to them apparently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts