Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all Pilot enthusiast,
With my '16 Pilot AWD, I replaced the original tires at 40000 miles with the Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready since I heard good ratings on them. Since driving with these tires, I experienced low gas mileage like 20% lower than the 26 miles/gallon with the original tires. Just wondering if anyone out there experience the same thing.
Also what's the best PSI for a full loaded car and 5 bikes for road trip. Today I went to Goodyear for its 1st tire rotation and they put 35psi and won't increase it to 38Psi.
Thank you all

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
51psi max rating, I'd have no problem inflating them to 38psi cold.
Nice tire by the way.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Are you really getting about 5 mpg less with those new Goodyear tires?
To what pressure were they inflated before the dealer set them to 35 psi?

Over-inflating the tires doesn't really help.
Debunking a Mileage Myth: Can You Really "Pump Up" Your Fuel Economy?

New, full tread depth tires will typically have higher rolling resistance.
Also, the new tires will be slightly larger in diameter than the old worn out ones.
Plus, that Goodyear tire is several pounds heavier than the OEM Bridgestone tire.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Are you really getting about 5 mpg less with those new Goodyear tires?
To what pressure were they inflated before the dealer set them to 35 psi?

Over-inflating the tires doesn't really help.
Debunking a Mileage Myth: Can You Really "Pump Up" Your Fuel Economy?

New, full tread depth tires will typically have higher rolling resistance.
Also, the new tires will be slightly larger in diameter than the old worn out ones.
Plus, that Goodyear tire is several pounds heavier than the OEM Bridgestone tire.
I'm by no means an expert. But what I know is what I feel when driving on heavier 51psi max tires on 75mph highways. In my opinion, especially for a Honda Pilot that weighs 4200Lbs+, my tire performs better with more air especialy when I'm loaded. I'm at 38psi cold on my 51psi max tire. You may like it a little softer at 36psi cold.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have this tire on my 16 Pilot as well, and experienced the same thing. The mileage drop was noticeable, but not enough for me to to complaint about.

In my case, what I absolutely hate about these tires is their propensity to pick up nails, screws, etc. in the road. I suffered 6 flats in 18 months of ownership due to nail punctures. And in 2 of those cases the tires were replaced free under the road hazard warranty because the puncture was non-repairable. I suspect the aggressive tread design intended for water and snow conditions leaves it vulnerable to picking up debris on the pavement. The tires ride nice and are quiet. I drive thru poor weather with confidence. But live in fear of a flat every single time I'm in the car. :mad:

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I have this tire on my 16 Pilot as well, and experienced the same thing. The mileage drop was noticeable, but not enough for me to to complaint about.

In my case, what I absolutely hate about these tires is their propensity to pick up nails, screws, etc. in the road. I suffered 6 flats in 18 months of ownership due to nail punctures. And in 2 of those cases the tires were replaced free under the road hazard warranty because the puncture was non-repairable. I suspect the aggressive tread design intended for water and snow conditions leaves it vulnerable to picking up debris on the pavement. The tires ride nice and are quiet. I drive thru poor weather with confidence. But live in fear of a flat every single time I'm in the car. :mad:
It might help to increase your psi. What psi are you running at?
We had 1 flat repaired on the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires in 60k miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I try to maintain at least the recommended cold 32 psi. That fluctuates with driving and the temperature obviously. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. These are only 3 small stones, but the tread on all 4 tires is full of that sort of junk. I've owned cars for 40+ years and have never, ever experienced this bad before.

IMG_2012.JPG

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I try to maintain at least the recommended cold 32 psi. That fluctuates with driving and the temperature obviously. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. These are only 3 small stones, but the tread on all 4 tires is full of that sort of junk. I've owned cars for 40+ years and have never, ever experienced this bad before.

View attachment 138119
This may be true, but I'd try 36psi cold. It will help with flats. Your tire is a sponge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts