Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I sold my 2003 Pilot at 186K miles in Dec 2012.
We still had the Baby Pilot (2001 CRV) up till yesterday.

My son seems to have missed a curve in the road and modified the car to be mid-engine.

The CRV (like we have heard many times here) did its job and gave up its life to save the occupant.

So for the next little while we are Honda-less.

Some time in the next 6 to 8 weeks (for a few cracked ribs to heal) we will be looking for a good reliable (cheap) car.

I am not sure what we will be replacing the CRV with, but both of its drivers for the past several years (my daughter and my son) love the second gen CRV over most other cars, even newer CRVs. (MY son actually like Gen 1 CRVs, but they are getting fairly old to find a good reliable one.)

Sh-t happens!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad to hear everybody were okay. Like they say, it's just a car. Good luck finding a replacement. So many choices nowadays!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Glad to hear that your son was not injured too badly. Broken ribs are a pain, I know from experience. Hope he recovers quickly.
Happy Honda Hunting ;)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
FIRST: I am very glad your son will be OK, that's the man thing!

Now that you are Honda-less, are you going to stop posting here, so another member can take over the member with the most posts? :D only kidding you.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm glad your son is ok.....the "V" did it's job well in hat regard. On the West Coast, there are still tons of Gen1 "V"'s running around, a testament to their reliability and durability. I remember mine with fond memories.
To be sure, I just looked on AutoTrader and found 48 2009-2001 V's for sale with these 2 with 89,000 miles the most desirable as an example.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=93711&endYear=2001&modelCode1=CRV&showcaseOwnerId=612005&startYear=1999&makeCode1=HONDA&searchRadius=300&mmt=[HONDA[CRV[]][]]&listingId=394256451&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=93711&endYear=2001&modelCode1=CRV&showcaseOwnerId=612005&startYear=1999&makeCode1=HONDA&searchRadius=300&mmt=[HONDA[CRV[]][]]&listingId=394123747&Log=0

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
God Bless:29:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
We still had the Baby Pilot (2001 CRV) up till yesterday.
My son seems to have ... modified the car to be mid-engine.
For old time's sake: :needpics:

My 6-month-old 1980 Honda was totaled after being turned into an 'Accord-ion' following an encounter with a red light runner.
While the seat belt did a good job, it would have been nice to have had an airbag.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Broken ribs mean not a good picture. Like I said hopefully everything is okay!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got to the car late yesterday.

I have a few pictures on my phone, He was able to get the dents all the way to the roof front a front end with a tree.
The g-forces shattered some trim pieces in the wayback where the body was untouched.

The kid is twice lucky. First he walked out of the car, . . . . .

. . . . . And second, I was out of town!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Third: you are both lucky that you can still hug each other
Well, I can't hung him yet due to the ribs.

But I am having fun making him laugh and then watching him wince.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Just got to the car late yesterday. I have a few pictures on my phone, He was able to get the dents all the way to the roof front a front end with a tree.
That's what ended up totaling my nearly-new Accord - besides the crushed front end, there were some wrinkles in the roof.

The kid is twice lucky. First he walked out of the car, . . . . .
Remaining alert after an accident has its advantages.
In my case, I was able to tell the EMTs to transport me to the local university-affiliated teaching hospital, which was somewhat more distant than the closest facility they would normally have used.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Looks like the results of an IIHS moderate overlap frontal crash test - with the fortunate exception that the "barrier" appears to have been hit mainly with the passenger side.

Not sure how it works in IL, but if it's going to be a while before you get a replacement vehicle, you may want to see if there's any financial advantage to turning in the plates to the DMV. Otherwise you may have to keep paying taxes on a vehicle you can no longer drive. Check with the DMV and the tax collector in your municipality.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the results of an IIHS moderate overlap frontal crash test - with the fortunate exception that the "barrier" appears to have been hit mainly with the passenger side.

Not sure how it works in IL, but if it's going to be a while before you get a replacement vehicle, you may want to see if there's any financial advantage to turning in the plates to the DMV. Otherwise you may have to keep paying taxes on a vehicle you can no longer drive. Check with the DMV and the tax collector in your municipality.
I am actually stuck on the other side of the curve.

The insurance company, (as a "courtesy") pays the equivalent of taxes and registration of the lost car towards a replacement, but . . . . only if purchased within 30 days of settlement.
So, even though I don't need a car till my son goes back to work, maybe 4 to 6 weeks (he is doing really well, considering) and by that point we may have "Grandma's car to use" so don't need to replace it probably till next winter, we lose about $500 if we don't buy something at or above the settled payment.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am actually stuck on the other side of the curve.

The insurance company, (as a "courtesy") pays the equivalent of taxes and registration of the lost car towards a replacement, but . . . . only if purchased within 30 days of settlement.
So, even though I don't need a car till my son goes back to work, maybe 4 to 6 weeks (he is doing really well, considering) and by that point we may have "Grandma's car to use" so don't need to replace it probably till next winter, we lose about $500 if we don't buy something at or above the settled payment.
Interesting on the settlement method as in Calif, as part of the totaled vehicle settlement, the insurance company automatically pays the sales tax on the settlement and the unused portion of the registration fees (for a CR-V of this model year, it's about $100 annually). Again, in Calif, the license plates always stay with the vehicle, unless they are "vanity" plates and the registration fees for the vehicle include the property tax among many other mandated fees. Thus, if somebody keeps the vanity plates for use on another car only the annual fees (about $40 on top of a normal license plate) for having those plates continue, though I am unsure what time frame exists, if any, for the plates to be transferred to a different car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts