Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know this topic is discussed alot, but I am thinking of changing my goodyears to Michelin CT.. How many of you have done this already, and how do you like them? One thing I am disappointed about my Pilot, I think are the tires. I find the ride very good, but the vibration (which is not very much but noticeable) coming from the steering wheel really gives my hands a massage! Sounds stupid but it is happening, and I feel every little bump on the road. Is this the goodyears? or am I just being picky.. My wife has Michelin CT on her Jimmy and I find the ride alot smoother and no vibration on the steering wheel ( I can't believe I just said that about a GM product, but I do think it is because the tires)

I would not even compare the Pilot to the Jimmy, I Love my pilot, just a little disappointed on the feel from her with these tires.

Anyone know what the heck I am talking about!

take care and Merry Christmas

rob

·
Registered
804 Posts
After checking the tire pressure, check the balance. Even bad-quality tires shouldn't vibrate. But if the air pressure is too high, or if a wheel is unbalanced, it could cause the problem.

If nothing unusual comes up there, I'd have Honda check the suspension.

Interesting info from Tire Rack:
Goodyear Integrity 235/70SR16 - $62
Michelin CrossTerrain 235/70SR16 - $110

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the Goodyear tires. I have had my Pilot since June and I do not have any vibration, bumps or whatever. I think there is a problem either with your tires or suspension. I think you should get it checked out. According to most posters on this site, the Michelins are so much better but mine are great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, the steering wheel should not vibrate unless the original poster's jimmy has almost no steering feel - probably tire with flat spot or bad pressure, or alignment?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Goodyears

I'm not really impressed with the goodyear's in bad weather.

I love them on the freeway when it's dry.

However, if it's raining or snowing the ABS kicks in WAY too early.

Now, we have not had any real snow this year yet, but I'm not really looking forward to it either based on the performance in wet conditions.

I'm not ready to swap out yet, but getting close.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I replaced the OEM Goodyears at 500m with Michellin X-Terrains (CTs).

The Goodyears are quieter on smoother surfaces, but fragile. Much less tread than CTs.

The Michellin CTs are all around better handling, more comfortable, but slightly noisier on smooth pavement. CTs are confidence inspiring in this bad weather.

Emerald Green EX

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my GY Integrity at 150 miles with CT from the Tire Rack and never felt any vibrations with either sets. The factory does an excellent job with balancing the tire and wheel combinations. I used a recommended Tire Rack installer, which has a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Measurement Wheel Balancer, which can give a balancing as good as the factory, if not better. It not only balances the tires, but also measures the rolling road forces on the tire, which can be a source of vibrations. One of the tires indicated a problem and had to be pulled, remounted and matched to the wheel. The machine is a very high tech device and requires a skilled technican to operate and get the maximum results.

·
Registered
415 Posts
gopilot said:
Hi guys, I know this topic is discussed alot, but I am thinking of changing my goodyears to Michelin CT.. How many of you have done this already, and how do you like them?
I have noticed a slight vibration on the steering wheel past 65MPH. I've always attributed it to an alignment/balancing problem but never thought about the tires themselves as a source of the problem. Getting close to the 7500 mile service, hopefully a re-alignment/re-balance will fix the vibration. If it doesn't, then maybe it is the tires...I'll let you know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good Year Tires have to go....

When talking about safety and performance, the Goodyear tires on the Pilot rate the worst! It's bad enough we don't know how to drive when it finally does rain out here in Southern California! Last thing we need is a tire that can't handle the road conditions.

I am looking into Michelin or Pirelli Scorpion S/T which have excellent ratings on Tirerack.com. Also, if you buy a set of rims with your tires on line they will arrive mounted, balanced and ready to slap on your Pilot! Hummmm..tempting! :31:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Good year tires

Jiaronnis said:

I have noticed a slight vibration on the steering wheel past 65MPH. I've always attributed it to an alignment/balancing problem but never thought about the tires themselves as a source of the problem. Getting close to the 7500 mile service, hopefully a re-alignment/re-balance will fix the vibration. If it doesn't, then maybe it is the tires...I'll let you know.
Thanks for the reply, I am going to get my dealer to do a balance also, if this is not the case, then the goodyears will be going for sale.. I love the handling, and drive of the Pilot, just do not think that the road feel in the steering wheel is normal, never felt this on any other vehicle before.. will post a solution soon..

rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires

:28: The Goodyear tires are the worst! I have about 8,000 miles on them and just suffered a puncture from a 1/2" piece of gravel in my driveway. The tire dealer says it cannot be patched!

The Michelins on my Acura, on the other hand, have nearly 60,000 miles on them, been over the same long, gravel driveway at least a couple o' thousand times and they're fine. Never even lost air pressure, much less suffer a puncture.

I've had several blowouts and many flats with Goodyears on other vehicles, so I suspect this is not the last of my problems with the ones on the Pilot. I'm switching to the Michelins ASAP. Honda did a great job with the Pilot but really short changed it by putting on the Gooyears instead of Michelins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts