Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I traded in my 04 Pilot yesterday with 341,480 miles on it. The final straw was the rust on the frame almost getting to unsafe point. I could not find a shop to help with that and that is outside of my wheelhouse. Thanks for all of the years of fixes! This forum saved me thousands for sure! Happy adventures to all!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Assuming you bought in '03, that's 18 years of service and 341k miles. Amazing!

Did you have any major issues in those years?

Also, you said you traded... how much did you get for it and what did you replace it with? It appears to be a Mazda dealer so I'll hold back on my thoughts about Mazda.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Nice. They gave you trade in money for that?

Good job!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Nice. They gave you trade in money for that?

Good job!
Guess they didn't peek at the subframe mount.

Or they did, and figured the buyer they fob it off on won't know to look there.

Always sad when one of ours rides off into the sunset.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
They gave you trade in money for that?
The vehicle will be sent to auction to get whatever they can for it. Dealerships will take anything.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
The vehicle will be sent to auction to get whatever they can for it.
Unless one of the repair techs wants to take a chance on it.

Dealerships will take anything.
Not the case when I tried to trade in my Audi 5000 a few decades ago.
After the hatchet job of a report by 60 Minutes about "unintended acceleration", few dealers would take it as a trade-in.
(Here's hoping that Ed Bradley is not resting in peace.)
Not even the Audi dealer wanted it back.
The Acura dealer was one of the very rare few who offered a trade-in allowance for that vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
or they'll sell it for scrap. it's worth 1K in steel. the good dealer will scrap it, the shady will auction it.
Is that 1K in Canadian Loonies or 1K in US Dollars???

A junk car's cash value in scrap is based on its weight and recyclable metal. According to data from JunkCarMedics.com you can expect to junk a car for between $100 - $200 for smaller cars, $150 - $300 for full-size cars, and $300 - $500 for heavier vehicles such as trucks and SUV's currently in March 2021.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
or they'll sell it for scrap. it's worth 1K in steel. the good dealer will scrap it, the shady will auction it.
Not the case when I tried to trade in my Audi 5000 a few decades ago.
After the hatchet job of a report by 60 Minutes about "unintended acceleration", few dealers would take it as a trade-in.
(Here's hoping that Ed Bradley is not resting in peace.)
Not even the Audi dealer wanted it back.
The Acura dealer was one of the very rare few who offered a trade-in allowance for that vehicle.
To sell a new vehicle, a dealership will take any vehicle in on trade, but the price has to be right for them. The owner (you in this case) would have to concede to a much lower trade in price than what ever book value is.
In my case where I own a 2017 Pilot with a rebuilt title, a dealership would only offer me $1,500. I could sell my rebuilt Pilot out on the highway with a for sale sign on it for 20k if I wanted to get rid of it. It is common practice for dealership to sell trade ins at auction. Vehicles that they dont want on their used car lot.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
To sell a new vehicle, a dealership will take any vehicle in on trade, but the price has to be right for them. The owner (you in this case) would have to concede to a much lower trade in price than what ever book value is.
Did you ever try to trade in an Audi 5000 after that 60 minutes episode was broadcast?
Most dealers simply didn't want the car and wouldn't make any trade-in offer at all - even if they had to turn around and sell it for scrap.
The Acura dealer had opened up recently and was probably looking for business, plus they said they "knew a guy" who would take the Audi.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is that 1K in Canadian Loonies or 1K in US Dollars???

A junk car's cash value in scrap is based on its weight and recyclable metal. According to data from JunkCarMedics.com you can expect to junk a car for between $100 - $200 for smaller cars, $150 - $300 for full-size cars, and $300 - $500 for heavier vehicles such as trucks and SUV's currently in March 2021.
1000 CAD pretty close to the 500 USD LOL. I using a little older reference point as steel scrap is down right now but I got $650 for an X-Trail and that was a lot less steel.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
1000 CAD pretty close to the 500 USD LOL. I using a little older reference point as steel scrap is down right now but I got $650 for an X-Trail and that was a lot less steel.
Ah but less steel usually means more aluminum these days. Aluminum goes for far more than the 1 cent a pound steel does.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Did you ever try to trade in an Audi 5000 after that 60 minutes episode was broadcast?
Most dealers simply didn't want the car and wouldn't make any trade-in offer at all - even if they had to turn around and sell it for scrap.
The Acura dealer had opened up recently and was probably looking for business, plus they said they "knew a guy" who would take the Audi.
Leave it to you to find some extreme case. Lol

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
More like the extreme case found me.
I had the car for about seven years and 150K miles and never once had an experience of unintended acceleration.
That's good. So you didn't need to trade anyway. They did you a favor.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
That's good. So you didn't need to trade anyway. They did you a favor.
Didn't need to trade it, but was ready to.
I wanted a new car with anti-lock brakes, a 6-cylinder engine with more power and a 4-speed automatic transmission.
Audi was still using its 5-cylinder engine, and even the version with a turbocharger had less power than the Acura V6.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
true but in POS X-Trail it was plastic, front fenders and a lot of other none structural parts were ABS.
But how many aluminum beer cans could they have produce from the engine? Never forget the beer can ratio when assessing the value of a scrap vehicle.

$120.00 US for 207 cans works out to $0.58 a can, without the beer. Thats a pretty good profit on empty beer cans. 😀

1 - 20 of 32 Posts