Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Good Price and Free Delivery to New Jersey or Elsewhere

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  robrecht 
#1 ·
MSRP -$1600

Hi, Everybody!

I didn't want to fly to Ohio and drive back to New Jersey to get a good price on an '04 Pilot so I contacted a dealer in the next state over (Pennsylvania). We negotiated a little below the '03 Costco price (2003 MSRP - $1,000) with a discount on accessories (chrome bumper garnish and fog lights) and he delivered the car to us in New Jersey without any additional charge.

Don't worry about joining Costco if you don't want, just tell Tony that robrecht sent you and that you want at least as good a deal or better. I didn't even push him at all--I suspect he'll give you more of a discount if you are a better negotiator than me or when the '04 Highlanders hit the streets. I had a couple of slightly better offers in Ohio and Florida (Invoice + $1,000??, about $100-300 more depending on dealer fees), but I really liked Tony and his offer to deliver the very next car to us for free (150 miles, 2 guys, signed the papers at our kitchen table!). Didn't even have to go to the dealership!

Tony Lombardo
Faulkner Honda
2020 Paxton Street
PO Box 2861
Harrisburg, PA 17105
Tel: 800-440-5884, ext 3358
Local Tel: 717-232-8800
Fax: 717-238-6832
Email: Tjannaro@aol.com

PS: If he gives you any grief, tell him the nuns wouldn't like that and he'll back down.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rob:

Isn't the difference between MSRP and invoice is $3252 for the EXL RES (from carsdirect.com)? If so then $1600 below sticker is $1652 above invoice.

I live in jersey too and got fed up real quick with the attitude of the local "friendly" dealer. I bought my 03 EXL-RES Pilot in June for approx $750 above invoice from OH ($30,000) and that include the $50 dealer fee. I rent AVIS for about $120 one way to pick up that car. That's just because I'm cheap.

Enjoy the car.

#3 ·
5speeder said:
Rob:

Isn't the difference between MSRP and invoice is $3252 for the EXL RES (from carsdirect.com)? If so then $1600 below sticker is $1652 above invoice.

I live in jersey too and got fed up real quick with the attitude of the local "friendly" dealer. I bought my 03 EXL-RES Pilot in June for approx $750 above invoice from OH ($30,000) and that include the $50 dealer fee. I rent AVIS for about $120 one way to pick up that car. That's just because I'm cheap.

Enjoy the car.
Hi, 5speeder.

I'm sure you're probably right about invoice pricing. When I did my deal invoice pricing for the '04s, or MSRP for that matter, were not yet public.

Later on, I spoke with dealers who were being discussed here as offering $1,000 over invoice but I only compared out the door prices with the options we wanted (I get confused real fast about invoice pricing, especially when it comes to the cost of installing options at different dealers). While there were better deals on '03s, especially MDXs, we wanted an '04 for the adjustable 2nd row, and I just didn't have the time to fly to Ohio and drive back. With respect to out the door prices, we saved $2,500 compared with what we were offered in New Jersey for 1st '04 delivery.

#7 ·
Hello:

Does anyone know if CA buyers can buy out of state? It used to be that CA cars were different (IIRC, additional smog equipment), is that still the case?

kad

#8 ·
kadiir said:
Hello:

Does anyone know if CA buyers can buy out of state? It used to be that CA cars were different (IIRC, additional smog equipment), is that still the case?

kad
Per California DMV web site:

What should a California resident look for when buying a new vehicle from another state?

California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired.

Click here for more information on buying a vehicle from out of state from California Air Resource Board.

Here's the link

#9 ·
I bought my 2003 EXL in Vermont and of note the vehicle is equipped with the "California Emission Control System" as a no cost option. In a previous life when I worked for a Jeep dealer in NH, just over the border from MA, we ordered all of our vehicles with the appropriate emissions equipment for sale in MA, as NH has no emissions requirements. I am willing to bet that dealers in the border states of CA equip their vehicles to be compliant in the anticipation of sales to California (especialy as it is a no charge option...I think for Jeep it was about $45 for the package...and yes people did argue that at the time of sale). At any rate, on the window sticker the notation is located right above the destination charge and should be easy to see.

#10 ·
sfhondapilot said:
Per California DMV web site:
That's what I thought. Thanks for looking it up (I had surgery this morning (minor, but I had sedation) and wasn't thinking - I could've looked it up myself!) Bad kadiir!

kad

#11 ·
osteome said:
(snip) At any rate, on the window sticker the notation is located right above the destination charge and should be easy to see.
Thanks. I'd like to say I'm still feeling the sedation, but no - I'm just lame & didn't think of it.

kad

#12 ·
If anybody's interested in a MSRP-$1500 deal in the Boston area, let me know. What's the catch? You have to wait 8-10 weeks. I am not sure also if they will deliver out of State, but I can find out.

#13 ·
I am in boston area, and buying from Ohio dealer. I put down deposit and they said build date is around Oct - 8. I was looking for ULEV as I was concerened about MA emission control. Dealer could not able to get ULEV, I asked them that I can wait for few weekds if I have to, but they said they can't get it.

Is it okay to buy regular car (I mean LEV, not ULEV) out of state and register in MA. Does it fail emission test?

I would appreciate your views.

#14 ·
maul said:
I am in boston area, and buying from Ohio dealer. I put down deposit and they said build date is around Oct - 8. I was looking for ULEV as I was concerened about MA emission control. Dealer could not able to get ULEV, I asked them that I can wait for few weekds if I have to, but they said they can't get it.

Is it okay to buy regular car (I mean LEV, not ULEV) out of state and register in MA. Does it fail emission test?

I would appreciate your views.
According to the EPA Green Vehicle Guide website, both Pilot engines are sold throughout the country. I have also corresponded with the EPA about this and they say the same thing verbally, but you may want to get some assurance from your local DMV before writing a check.

See also the ongoing (but somewhat stalled) discussion at hondapilot.org. It may be the case that although Honda could sell either of their engines anywhere maybe the ULEVs are shipped to the stricter states as a general rule. Also, the newer stricter requirements are being phased in gradually so I would be reluctant to trust old informaiton on this issue.

Good luck!

#15 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to say the information here is great!
We will be looking to purchase a EXL within the next two months. I am in the Boston area and the best deal I've seen is from Honda of Boston currently doing $430 below msrp. Someone mentioned a much better deal in this area. Can anyone provide some information as to where?

Thanks,

#17 ·
robrecht said:
[BTony Lombardo
Faulkner Honda
2020 Paxton Street
PO Box 2861
Harrisburg, PA 17105
Tel: 800-440-5884, ext 3358
Local Tel: 717-232-8800
Fax: 717-238-6832
Email: Tjannaro@aol.com
[/B]
Is this across the street from the Mall, in the building that used to be a Chrysler dealer, and was a VW dealer before that?

#19 ·
Re: Re: Good Price and Free Delivery to New Jersey or Elsewhere

N_Jay said:
Is this across the street from the Mall, in the building that used to be a Chrysler dealer, and was a VW dealer before that?
Don't know. We signed the papers at our kitchen table in New Jersey and never had to go to the dealership! :jump3:

#20 ·
Well, I emailed Tony, and said that Rob reffered me to him, asked for a quote on 04 EX + L + Navi, so far his first email is $1100 off of MSRP. I emailed back stating that Rob got $1600 off and seeing if he would do the same thing for me.

Will keep you updated. Big thank you Rob, if he comes through, I will not have to drive to OHIO. (from MD its quite a bit of drive)

Vadim

#22 ·
TheRanger said:
Hi guys, excuse my ignorance but what does the 'Costco pricing' refer to? The only Costco I know is a place to buy wholesale food!
Costco has many services they offer besides the products in the warehouse (store). Go to their website & click on the Services tab to see.

As far as auto sales go, they have relationships with dealers near their locations that the dealer will give a certain price to Costco customers. Many credit unions do this, too.

For example, my wife got her '98 Civic EX through Costco (4/98) for $300 over invoice and some extra accessories thrown in. They vary, though, across the country. Some ppl reported $1,000 under MSRP on the Pilot, but other areas were only getting $300 under MSRP.

Given my local (well, closest) Costco dealer (Concord Honda) and the way they responded, I didn't follow through with it. My CU got me $1,000 under MSRP a month ago (Monday it was only $800 under MSRP).

I am working on $1,500 under MSRP & accessories installed very cheap right now between 2 dearlers in SoCal.

Since it's free (if you are a member), I'd run it through them & see what you get and then decide if you want to try yourself.

kad

#24 ·
vadim_s said:
Robrecht,
Tony is only willing to do 1300 off of MSRP, what accessories did you buy from him?

Did you pay msrp for accessories or invoice?
Did they drive your car to you or brought it on a truck and unloaded so it still had no miles?

Please let me know.

Vadim
Tell Tony that you've been thinking of visiting your aunt in Akron for a long time now ... :roadtrip:

We got chrome bumper garnish and fog lights, and he gave us a couple of hundred off on installation, which I think was already cheaper than what New Jersey dealers wanted for installation.

A couple of retired guys drove the car to us so there was 150 miles on it, which was fine for us, although some people prefer a flatbed.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.