Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I’m new to the Pilot team. I just purchased a CPO 2019 Honda Pilot Touring with 34,050 mile and paid $35,700 all in including taxes, fees, title and registration. Just wondering if I made the right deal? and also any suggestions as a new owner?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Disable VCM. Pretty good deal if looking at comparable here in Canuckistan. don't know the US market well enough. Still has warranty so that's good if gremlins show up.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Honestly, I think the seller got the best of that deal.

But you still probably did well and shouldn't let a couple thou keep you from enjoying what is one of the better vehicles out there. What matters is that you're happy with it, as well you should be. Congrats and enjoy! (y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its high mileage for 2019. Did you check the carfax?
You could get a brand new 2021 out of the door for less than 40k. I would personally pay 4k more and buy the peace of mind or step down to exl for the same price.
Not that I want to discourage you here. I hope you enjoy your new ride. Touring is nice 🙂

·
Registered
570 Posts
any suggestions as a new owner?
1. Stop thinking about whether you paid too much. You can't do anything about that now.
2. It's CPO. Check every single switch, light, toggle, lever, retractor, window alignment, etc. Find everything that isn't functionally perfect. Make a list and make them fix it.
3. Maintain it meticulously, and do the work yourself. You'll get more miles per dollar by getting more miles down the road, not less dollars up front. Keep it in good shape, drive it until the wheels fall off, and it will be a bargain.
4. Learn to detail it and keep wax on it. Buy the tools to make that fast and easy. If the car looks new outside, you're more likely to keep it like new everywhere else. Don't ask me why - life just works that way.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Let’s say the car was purchased new in 2018, that mileage is about average. I don’t know your state, but taxes and fees could have easily been $2,000 at least. Not a bad deal for a high trim, high valued SUV especially in this current market.

Also I’d refrain from asking about a deal after you’ve already bought it because nobody knows where you are and thus prices paid can vary widely. It will give you a bad case of buyers remorse. Also a lot of people on here are very attached to their ancient Pilots and can’t fathom buying a new one🤣

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
You could always roll the dice and buy a wrecked 3rd gen at auction, then fix it up. You don't cry about the door dings near as much. 😁

Reactions: aggrex

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
USed prices are crazy high right now simply due to the lack of new vehicles.

I bought something for my kids last October. Seemed crazy price. Second thoughts had me thinking I should have leased. But I think I'm over that.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
USed prices are crazy high right now simply due to the lack of new vehicles.

I bought something for my kids last October. Seemed crazy price. Second thoughts had me thinking I should have leased. But I think I'm over that.
The issue isn't that you (might have) overpaid, it's that you bought a vehicle for your kids in the first place.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
The issue isn't that you (might have) overpaid, it's that you bought a vehicle for your kids in the first place.
I believe in teaching young people to have work ethics, but wow, really, your going to tell someone not to buy a vehicle for their child if they've proved to be mature enough?

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I believe in teaching young people to have work ethics, but wow, really, your going to tell someone not to buy a vehicle for their child if they've proved to be mature enough?
My parents wouldn't buy me a car, so why would I think that other kids should get a free ride, so to speak?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
My parents wouldn't buy me a car, so why would I think that other kids should get a free ride, so to speak?
I wouldn't say it was free if the parents sacrificed and payed for it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Daughter paid for her own 2007 last summer, though I helped a lot in the process of buying it. Now, however, she's finding she doesn't have quite enough time or money to do everything she should for it, since she's a full-time university student. I took care of my car without my parents' help back when I was a university student, though. Part of that was finding a good, dependable, inexpensive but trustworthy mechanic. It was still expensive for my student budget, even though I was also working while studying full time.

What's the ideal balance between giving your kids fish and teaching them to fish? And how many worms do you help them buy or dig up, and for how long?

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Daughter paid for her own 2007 last summer, though I helped a lot in the process of buying it. Now, however, she's finding she doesn't have quite enough time or money to do everything she should for it, since she's a full-time university student. I took care of my car without my parents' help back when I was a university student, though. Part of that was finding a good, dependable, inexpensive but trustworthy mechanic. It was still expensive for my student budget, even though I was also working while studying full time.

What's the ideal balance between giving your kids fish and teaching them to fish? And how many worms do you help them buy or dig up, and for how long?
This is how I traveled to and from college:

Once there, this was my mode of transportation around campus:

I didn't have a car until after I graduated, started working full-time and could afford to buy it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts

View attachment 147252

View attachment 147253

I didn't have a car until after I graduated, started working full-time and could afford to buy it.
It's not wrong to give your kids things. They can still work hard and value the dollar while also being supported by their parents. Giving your kids a car often helps the parents out more than it does the kid. There is definitely a balance, but it is not hurting a kid in any way to give them a car.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

View attachment 147252

View attachment 147253

I had a paper route in grade school, a band in high school, and tutored, RA'd and also had a band in college. I've had my own car that I paid for since I could drive.

My daughter is a senior in high school now, my wife has been working from home for about a year, so we gave our daughter my wife's Rogue. Her first job will be this summer as a paid counselor at a summer camp. Even with that, she will not be able to even pay the insurance on the car let alone payments or maintenance. We paid off the car so at least she doesn't have to worry about that.

I don't know about work ethic since she's never worked, but she has watched her parents as we are both very hard workers. I just got out the hospital after bypass surgery and the first day home was working at my computer with my legs elevated to meet deadlines that caught up with me while in the hospital.

She has an excellent study ethic and is a straight A student. She applied to 9 colleges and has been accepted to all nine, some with scholarships, two with full scholarships, and no rejections. We joined the prepaid scholarship program when she was born, meaning her tuition is paid in full for any in state college, and we don't forfeit that money if she uses scholarships, so the kid is making us money, so to speak. At least saving us a ton. I think she's spoiling us!

Her mother and I think of the car more as a safety precaution. Public transportation and walking alone is just not a safe way for young girls and women to get around. Also, when her friends want to go somewhere, we insist that she does not ride with anyone else, and no one rides with her. This is not only because of Covid, but for liability reasons as all the friends she has are new drivers and we feel the fewer distractions in the car the better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts