Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Going to use Maxlife ATF in my 6-speed and not because it's less expensive

8K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
From what what I've read, I'm less than impressed with the results of Honda's DW-1 in the 6-speeds. My 2012 Crosstour 5-speed operates very well on MaxLife and Honda doesn't have a gun to my head on my 2017 Pilot that I bought at auction (No waranty). Will drain and fill 3 times.

#2 ·
From what what I've read, I'm less than impressed with the results of Honda's DW-1 in the 6-speeds. My 2012 Crosstour 5-speed operates very well on MaxLife and Honda doesn't have a gun to my head on my 2017 Pilot that I bought at auction (No waranty). Will drain and fill 3 times.
Let me know how she likes that juice! I was looking at it myself but still have 1.5yr worth of warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
The 6-speed transmission is performing very well with MaxLife. I have done 2 drain and fills. Drove 9 miles after each. I must say it's an improvement. Shifting smooth and no slipping. The fluid is so clean, I just don't know if it's necessary to do another one.

#6 ·
The 6-speed transmission is performing very well with MaxLife. I have done 2 drain and fills. Drove 9 miles between each. I must say it's an improvement. Shifting smooth and no slipping. The fluid is so clean, I just don't know if it's necessary to do another one.
Certainly do another one! An then in 10K or so repeat the whole exercise and follow 1 x D&F afterwards! Keep us posted on the progress and I appreciate your brave heart lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Just drove 25 miles round trip. Plus the 18 miles earlier. Smooth sailing. I'll buy another gallon next time I'm at Wal-Mart. Not in a hurry. All smiles at this point.

#11 · (Edited)
I truly believe that DW-1 is failing Honda owners. Synthetic or not. 20k miles and having to change dark smelly fluid is the proof. I kept a sample.
My drain plug magnet did not have an unusually large amount of metal silt stuck to it.

Reactions: plplplpl
#12 ·
I'm definitely interested to see the long term reliability of Maxlife ATF in your pilot. I've inly used DW1 in my 2013 CRV and with 85k miles I haven't had a problem. I'm confident it will stay that way.

#13 ·
Been using nothing but since I got my Pilot and she shifts beautifully.

#19 · (Edited)
Really no need. So many have done this with Pilots that have had slipping issues. With the small amount if metal silt stuck to the magnet (No metal shavings) and with only 21k miles it's obvious the darkness is from clutch material and or degraded 3 year old DW-1 fluid. At this point, having no waranty, I am extremely thrilled with the results of switching to MaxLife. Still need to do one more D&F.

#15 ·
I'm torn right now. Since I bought my Pilot, I've done 2 drain and fills about 5,000 miles apart. I am planning to do my final (until next year) D&F in the next few weeks. I am trying to determine whether to switch to MaxLife. My transmission definitely gets a little jumpy every once and a while but I am slightly worried I'll mess something up.
Should I bite the bullet and use it during my next D&F or will it be a negative to be running 2 types of fluid at the same time?

#16 ·
I'm torn right now. Since I bought my Pilot, I've done 2 drain and fills about 5,000 miles apart. I am planning to do my final (until next year) D&F in the next few weeks. I am trying to determine whether to switch to MaxLife. My transmission definitely gets a little jumpy every once and a while but I am slightly worried I'll mess something up.
Should I bite the bullet and use it during my next D&F or will it be a negative to be running 2 types of fluid at the same time?
I've got it mixed in several vehicles. In my problem 2017 Pilot that was slipping I did a D&F with DW-1 and still had slipping. After one D&F with MaxLife there was a major improvement. I had enough to do it again. The transmission is quiet and no slipping. I will do it again to achieve 80% MaxLife. I have no fears mixing. I have fears of leaving DW-1 in my vehicles.

#22 · (Edited)
I will certainly look into that. I installed a factory transmission cooler when I did the body work. I'm still dumbfounded by Honda for not having a cooler installed on all Pilots as standard equipment since they removed the ATF line from the radiator. Especially in hot climates.

Reactions: Arzenmaster
#23 · (Edited)
I've got another thread going right now about my transmission issues. 2018 EXL 6 spd transmission 4th to 5th gear shift flair followed by limp mode.

Based on @ Nail Grease's maxlife thread, and as an academic exercise for future reference, I thought I'd try maxlife today just because I had nothing to loose but some time and a couple of bucks. I did a 2 Maxlife D&F's today. (I already bought a remanned tranny waiting to be dropped in this week.)

I've already had 2 drain and fills with DW-1. 1 prior to the secondary valve body being replaced, and 1 with the new valve body. I did the 3rd D&F with Maxlife, and for good measure, I did a 4th with Maxlife. I drove about 20 miles between fills.

The end result is anecdotal for the most part. Shifting between gears feels much smoother (anecdotal) till 4th to 5th. The shift flare is still very pronounced. Video of shift flares posted on the above mentioned thread.

@ Nail Grease is dead on IMHO. I just purchased an OEM tranny cooler kit online and it will go in with the new tranny.

#24 ·
I've got another thread going right now about my transmission issues. 2018 EXL 6 spd transmission 4th to 5th gear shift flare followed by limp mode.

Based on @ Nail Grease's maxlife thread, and as an academic exercise for future reference, I thought I'd try maxlife today just because I had nothing to loose but some time and a couple of bucks. I did a 2 Maxlife D&F's today. (I already bought a remanned tranny waiting to be dropped in this week.)

I've already had 2 drain and fills with DW-1. 1 prior to the secondary valve body being replaced, and 1 with the new valve body. I did the 3rd D&F with Maxlife, and for good measure, I did a 4th with Maxlife. I drove about 20 miles between fills.

The end result is anectodal for the most part. Shifting between gears feels much smoother (anectodatal) till 4th to 5th. The shift flare is still very pronounced. Video of shift flares posted on the above mentioned thread.

@ Nail Grease is dead on IMHO. I just purchased an OEM tranny cooler kit online and it will go in with the new tranny.
I'm really sorry that the ATF change didn't save your transmission. I guess the flair indicates that the friction needed is just not there anymore.
I just went on a test drive for 22 miles with my Torque Pro App that reads my ATF temperature since @Sti_mulus was concerned about transmission temperature and informed me of the TSB on this subject. The outside temperature was 72°. The warmest my ATF got was 158° when I was around 80 mph. I feel the trans cooler may be doing to good of a job since I never achieved 175°.

#28 ·
No (kick self). I installed it when I was rebuilding the front end. But I have to believe that in the summer when it hits 100°+ I'll be glad I have a transmission cooler. When days are cool, having your ATF going through your warm 190° radiator would have actually helped you maintain a good operating temperature.

#27 ·
I use the Torque Pro app on an Android phone that connects via Bluetooth to a cheap little blue OBD2 scanner.

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Apps on Google Play

Apparently there's also one for iPhones, though I haven't tried it.

‎Torque App - OBD2 Car Check Pro

Generic codes only though, no Honda-specific codes. Still, so cheap and useful that everyone should have one of these now, just like everyone has a spare tire.

#29 ·
I use the Torque Pro app on an Android phone that connects via Bluetooth to a cheap little blue OBD2 scanner.

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Apps on Google Play

Apparently there's also one for iPhones, though I haven't tried it.

‎Torque App - OBD2 Car Check Pro

Generic codes only though, no Honda-specific codes. Still, so cheap and useful that everyone should have one of these now, just like everyone has a spare tire.
I paid $4.95 for the Torque Pro App

#34 ·
Ok,
Just did a 3rd Drain Fill with MaxLife ATF. This is supposed to give me an 80% dilution of the old DW-1 left in my transmission. Took it on a 20 mile drive and so far so good. No slipping. Did a snap shot of my Torque Pro App to post here. Outside temp was 71°. (Factory transmission cooler installed)

Reactions: plplplpl
#39 ·
ATTENTION!
JUST TO BE CLEAR TO EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR DW-1 ATF TO MAXLIFE ATF IN YOUR 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION.
This is my own experiment on a waranty-less transmission that was already beginning to have shifting issues.

#40 ·
ATTENTION!
JUST TO BE CLEAR TO EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR DW-1 ATF TO MAXLIFE ATF IN YOUR 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION.

But also, why not? Not only is it less expensive, but many feel it shifts better, especially on an older transmission, myself included.

#44 ·
IMHO I wouldn't worry about getting the trans temp any warmer unless you live in ND or Northern Canada in the winter, then I'd think about it. Especially with synthetic fluid.

I know the 175F number is optimum for the fluid. 180F is required to remove moisture content. 80F or above keeps torque converters happy. I think I saw 160 something on your OBD, should be plenty warm, especially for synthetic. I also have no idea where the temperature sensor in the transmission is. The predominance of the heat is in the TC, and I'm guessing that fluid exiting the TC would be considerably higher.

I'll be lucky if I'm at break even or possibly a bit upside down after paying for another transmission, compared to the retail value of an R title low mileage pilot. Unlike you, I did none of the work.

If it were mine and not my wife's baby, I'd drive the current trans till it was fried, or the fluid changes free it up, assuming the valving, or journals are gunked up. For the time that I drove it while malfunctioning, I was able to coax it into locking up 5th gear. Or maybe its mechanical? Not knowing, if its worn, bad clutch springs, assuming these clutches have springs. I just couldn't let her drive it and get stuck somewhere. or limp home at 30mph. Bit the bullet and bought a reman.

My wife loves this Pilot, and as long as I can get the transmission under control, and not suffer any MIF's (maintenance induced malfunctions.) with the transmission swap, I'm hoping to get 10 ish years and130k+ out of it, and run it till it dies.

We had a 2007 Accord V6 AT that had judder issues that started at 8k miles. I took it back to the dealership to troubleshoot, 2 Z1 fluid changes didn't help. Went to a local trans shop, They actually did a flush somehow without damaging the trans pump and I think they used Castrol. The problem disappeared immediately, we ran it till around 200,000 with only 1 other fluid change. Not a single problem. At the time I thought it was an anomaly and not the norm. In fact my neighbor bought it and is still driving it. Probably has 230k on it now.

#46 ·
Ok,
I took a long trip in the 6-speed Pilot today. We logged 293 miles. That puts the Pilot over the 500 mile mark for the week while using MaxLife (80%, 3 D&Fs). Very pleased with the transmissions performance. I do feel that the VCM is affecting the overall performance of the vehicle (I put my thoughts on this in a current VCM thread). I'll draw out a sample of ATF tomorrow and put in a jar to see color. It was a 50° day and the transmission temperature Never exceeded 156°.

#48 ·
@Nail Grease

If you do put an inline thermostat in for your cooler. Please post the chosen part and installation info. I'd be very interested.
I was just thinking of masking it of during the cooler months then opening it up when it warms up. I can monitor with my Torque Pro App. But a Thermostatic bypass valve would be uber.

#49 ·
Are you considering a VCMuzzler? I would if I had a VCM-equipped Pilot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.