Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what what I've read, I'm less than impressed with the results of Honda's DW-1 in the 6-speeds. My 2012 Crosstour 5-speed operates very well on MaxLife and Honda doesn't have a gun to my head on my 2017 Pilot that I bought at auction (No waranty). Will drain and fill 3 times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what what I've read, I'm less than impressed with the results of Honda's DW-1 in the 6-speeds. My 2012 Crosstour 5-speed operates very well on MaxLife and Honda doesn't have a gun to my head on my 2017 Pilot that I bought at auction (No waranty). Will drain and fill 3 times.
Let me know how she likes that juice! I was looking at it myself but still have 1.5yr worth of warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 6-speed transmission is performing very well with MaxLife. I have done 2 drain and fills. Drove 9 miles after each. I must say it's an improvement. Shifting smooth and no slipping. The fluid is so clean, I just don't know if it's necessary to do another one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 6-speed transmission is performing very well with MaxLife. I have done 2 drain and fills. Drove 9 miles between each. I must say it's an improvement. Shifting smooth and no slipping. The fluid is so clean, I just don't know if it's necessary to do another one.
Certainly do another one! An then in 10K or so repeat the whole exercise and follow 1 x D&F afterwards! Keep us posted on the progress and I appreciate your brave heart lol

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You drove 9 miles between fills but how much in total?
Just drove 25 miles round trip. Plus the 18 miles earlier. Smooth sailing. I'll buy another gallon next time I'm at Wal-Mart. Not in a hurry. All smiles at this point.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My milage was about 21,553 when I started, give or take a mile. Currently at 21,596. I will be driving at least 300 miles by next Friday.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Certainly do another one! An then in 10K or so repeat the whole exercise and follow 1 x D&F afterwards! Keep us posted on the progress and I appreciate your brave heart lol

I know Honda does not endorse MaxLife, but Valvoline recommends its use in this vehicle. I feel some security in this and having used it in my Crosstour. Brave? No. Desperate to protect my investment after the evidence? Yes. My transmission was slipping after a DW-1 drain and fill.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know Honda does not endorse MaxLife, but Valvoline recommends its use in this vehicle. I feel some security in this and having used it in my Crosstour. Brave? No. Desperate to protect my investment after the evidence? Yes. My transmission was slipping after a DW-1 drain and fill.
I'm in the same warranty boat as you. My pilots transmission just went 10-7 at 22,000 miles ish. no warranty, I pretty much lost lock up in 5th gear. I just bought a remanufactured transmission. It wasn't cheap.

I was under the impression that all DW-1 fluid was synthetic base, but apparently that isn't the case, or at least some is and some isn't. Based on reading the different bottles, some are marked full synthetic and some are not. It almost appears that Honda has different versions of DW-1, one synthetic and one not. Worst part is that the dealers parts department wasn't aware that the bottles contents read differently. Based on that inconsistency, who knows if the additive packages are even the same from one bottle to the next.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I truly believe that DW-1 is failing Honda owners. Synthetic or not. 20k miles and having to change dark smelly fluid is the proof. I kept a sample.
My drain plug magnet did not have an unusually large amount of metal silt stuck to it.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
173 Posts
I'm definitely interested to see the long term reliability of Maxlife ATF in your pilot. I've inly used DW1 in my 2013 CRV and with 85k miles I haven't had a problem. I'm confident it will stay that way.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Been using nothing but since I got my Pilot and she shifts beautifully.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
942 Posts
I'm torn right now. Since I bought my Pilot, I've done 2 drain and fills about 5,000 miles apart. I am planning to do my final (until next year) D&F in the next few weeks. I am trying to determine whether to switch to MaxLife. My transmission definitely gets a little jumpy every once and a while but I am slightly worried I'll mess something up.
Should I bite the bullet and use it during my next D&F or will it be a negative to be running 2 types of fluid at the same time?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm torn right now. Since I bought my Pilot, I've done 2 drain and fills about 5,000 miles apart. I am planning to do my final (until next year) D&F in the next few weeks. I am trying to determine whether to switch to MaxLife. My transmission definitely gets a little jumpy every once and a while but I am slightly worried I'll mess something up.
Should I bite the bullet and use it during my next D&F or will it be a negative to be running 2 types of fluid at the same time?
I've got it mixed in several vehicles. In my problem 2017 Pilot that was slipping I did a D&F with DW-1 and still had slipping. After one D&F with MaxLife there was a major improvement. I had enough to do it again. The transmission is quiet and no slipping. I will do it again to achieve 80% MaxLife. I have no fears mixing. I have fears of leaving DW-1 in my vehicles.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You should send a sample to Blackstone labs. It's amazing what they can tell you from analyzing oil or fluids.
Really no need. So many have done this with Pilots that have had slipping issues. With the small amount if metal silt stuck to the magnet (No metal shavings) and with only 21k miles it's obvious the darkness is from clutch material and or degraded 3 year old DW-1 fluid. At this point, having no waranty, I am extremely thrilled with the results of switching to MaxLife. Still need to do one more D&F.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Nail Grease Do you have the transmission update from Honda that prevents transmission fluid degradation? It’s in a tsb and supposedly lowers operation temp. That could have been the cause of your dw1 problems. Might want to look into having it updated regardless of the type of fluid in there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts