Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so a group of buddies and I have always wanted to do this cross country trip going from where we live (Chicago) to San Francisco, Seattle, White Horse Yukon territory Canada, Anchorage AK, Prudhoe bay AK, Mary's Harbour NL Canada to NYC then all the way back home. Long I know its 15k miles and I'm taking 2.5 months to do it. We always wanted to take my buddies 97 4Runner but it got totaled this summer so now we're looking to take my 2007 Pilot 4x4. She has 165,000 miles on the clock and has been beautifully maintained and is in excellent condition. So what i'm asking is if anyone has done something similar to this in their Pilot or MDX and what I need to prepare my rig. Here is my current plan on Google https://www.yellkey.com/arm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good tires,maybe some gas cans, extra fluids (ATF, power steering, coolant, oil). I'm sure there is other stuff.
Good luck and I'd love to hear how it goes! That would be an awesome trip to do!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Do an oil change. You will be due again at the end of the trip. Make sure your alternator is less than 60k miles old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Matwood,

Roughly when I was at about 165-170 on my 2003 Pilot I went on a 10k mile road trip from the west coat to east coast and back to where I live on the west coast. All I did before was make sure the breaks were solid, all fluids changed that may need to happen (especially an oil change before I went, and also did one during the trip) I had the battery/alternator/starter checked before I went, I got new tires. Extra parts and whatnot I brought with me for good measure were all fluids, some extra radiator hoses, and an extra serpentine belt. I also brought an extra 5 gallons of gas with me strapped to my roof basket just for good measure. I also had an ARB awning that I bolted to the roof basket since we were camping in campgrounds along the way. In terms of stuff I had for the interior I bought a cigarette socket splitter, an inverter for charging computers, a scanguage for monitoring my car's computer and vitals, extra fuses, a car trash bag, and of course a full tool kit and emergency kit encase I needed it.

It sounds like an awesome trip you have planned, I have been pondering a Pan American Highway trip/Alaskan Highway trip for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Matwood,

Roughly when I was at about 165-170 on my 2003 Pilot I went on a 10k mile road trip from the west coat to east coast and back to where I live on the west coast. All I did before was make sure the breaks were solid, all fluids changed that may need to happen (especially an oil change before I went, and also did one during the trip) I had the battery/alternator/starter checked before I went, I got new tires. Extra parts and whatnot I brought with me for good measure were all fluids, some extra radiator hoses, and an extra serpentine belt. I also brought an extra 5 gallons of gas with me strapped to my roof basket just for good measure. I also had an ARB awning that I bolted to the roof basket since we were camping in campgrounds along the way. In terms of stuff I had for the interior I bought a cigarette socket splitter, an inverter for charging computers, a scanguage for monitoring my car's computer and vitals, extra fuses, a car trash bag, and of course a full tool kit and emergency kit encase I needed it.

It sounds like an awesome trip you have planned, I have been pondering a Pan American Highway trip/Alaskan Highway trip for a while.
Thanks a ton! Didn't think to bring extra hoses so im now on my way to advance auto to get an upper and lower radiator hose. Also I ordered a roof top tent from Smittybilt so I can attach an a awning to that.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You have a full size spare, don't you? If you do not, I would recommend searching bone yards.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hello Matwood,

I had the battery/alternator/starter checked before I went, I got new tires.
The starter is what I would have forgotten to mention before yesterday. Mine just up and died on me outside of towing range from my usual mechanic, so it cost me CAD$500, parts, labor and taxes, plus an unplanned conjugal overnight stay at a regional hotel. You may not be so lucky somewhere between Whitehorse and Prudhoe Bay. :love:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a ton! Didn't think to bring extra hoses so im now on my way to advance auto to get an upper and lower radiator hose. Also I ordered a roof top tent from Smittybilt so I can attach an a awning to that.
Also, as can mentioned I would recommend a full size spare if you do not already have one, along with tire plug kits/fix a flat kits as well as a battery jumpbox and an air compressor. Since you are bring a roof top tent I may recommend bringing extra roof rack slides, the aluminum pieces that slide into the roof rails as well as bolts since you will probably tighten down those bolts tight and want to double check that they are tight, there is a possibility that you will strip out the aluminum slides with the steel bolts (obviously I have done this before). You can find these from junkyards and are usually 10 bucks for the all the slides and bolts. I would also probably bring extra ratchet straps just encase, you never know.

I would also recommend changing your engine and cabin air filters before you go. Engine air filter just for good measure since you will be going a lot of miles on rough and possibly dirty roads and cabin air filter for better quality in cabin air. (both are easy to replace on your own)

Oh and with the Roof top tent I would expect for you to get 15% lower mpg, when I use my roof basket full of stuff on road trips it's usually 10-15% lower.

If I think of anything else I will make sure to add it to the growing list of things I would bring.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The starter is what I would have forgotten to mention before yesterday. Mine just up and died on me outside of towing range from my usual mechanic, so it cost me CAD$500, parts, labor and taxes, plus an unplanned conjugal overnight stay at a regional hotel. You may not be so lucky somewhere between Whitehorse and Prudhoe Bay. :love:
If you can't pack a spare starter and necessary tools, at least bring a good hammer or lug wrench to give the failed starter good resuscitation whacks with. 🔨

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/starter-toasted.28579/#post-372481

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/bad-starter-in-05.63001/#post-664113

Oh, and ditto on the full size spare and other flat tire paraphernalia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thanks guys I just did a new alternator done 15k miles ago and yes I have a full size spare and a new starter isn’t a bad idea either. I’ll have to do that this weekend.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
yes there is a reason why there is OPEN carry up there ... I always bring my desert eagle with me and my 30-06 as backup

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you havent had to replace your radiator yet consider having it pressure checked for leaks. The 2007 vintage tends to get hairline leaks in the plastic headers about 160k (mine did too).

Same on the alternator if it is original, mine died at 200k easy miles.

Bring coolant and brake fluid for sure, all fluids might be hard to find up in the woods.

Serpentine/accessory belt and long handle wrench to reach tensioner

How about CV boots and joints condition?

Shocks, ball joints, tie rod end condition?

Multimeter?

Service manual pdf on your phone or ipad - buy from Bishko about $50

Code scanner for sure so you dont have to freak out when the Check Engine light comes on

Fuse kit and some harness wire to fix stuff

Wish I was going!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just bring lots of money.

Or even better, lots of good luck!
All the best to you and your friends!
Have a great trip!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts