Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are grand total of 3 Honda dealers in my town and none of them said that they'll inspect the timing belt and the related components unless warranted. So, I offered to pay for the inspection and if they happen to find something that neccessitated a warranty work, then, I don't pay anything and if not, I pay. My Pilot now has almost 18,000KM (11,200miles) on it.

Now, the reason I requested to have this done, even if out of my pocket, is because of the pinging/tapping noise I get from the engine when I press on the accelerator even moderately hard between 2K-4K RPM (yes, I've checked the throttle cable mount and made the adjustment. I still have this noise). I only expect to hear the roar or the humming of the engine when I give it some gas, not rapping, pinging or tapping noise.

Anyhow, in the event that they do find something wrong with the timing belt mechanism, then, should I also request to have a leak test performed on the valves or is this something I'm being way too paranoid about? If it's within reason that I request to have this leak test performed and indeed, some abnormal findings were discovered, then is my Pilot, for the lack of a better word, screwed, even if they resolve the problems related to the valve leak test?

Also, in the event that there were some findings that were unusual with the leak test, what should I request to have replaced/fixed/resolved? Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That's great rip, sometime ya have to step out of the box to get a solution! goodluck..

Let us know what the result is..

rob

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't take the Pilot in this week. Have another question though. Please Help!

The question I have for you folks is, if my pinging/tapping noise coming from the engine, more audible especially when I press on the gas hard, seems to get softer or subside when I use premium gas (octane 91) compared to when I use just the regular one (octane 87), what could be causing my pinging?

Is there a good possibility this situation can rule out that there can be a problem with my timing belt itself or its related components, such as the tensioner or the spring?

As well, what would you request to have the service dept. take a look and try to test out to find out what could be causing this? TIA.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Couldn't take the Pilot in this week. Have another question though. Please Help!

RipRocK said:
The question I have for you folks is, if my pinging/tapping noise coming from the engine, more audible especially when I press on the gas hard, seems to get softer or subside when I use premium gas (octane 91) compared to when I use just the regular one (octane 87), what could be causing my pinging?

Is there a good possibility this situation can rule out that there can be a problem with my timing belt itself or its related components, such as the tensioner or the spring?

As well, what would you request to have the service dept. take a look and try to test out to find out what could be causing this? TIA.
RipRock,
Sorry to hear you are having these problems! I have had timing belts slip before or simply on the wrong cog when initially installed and typically the results are a bit more dramatic then just pinging.

Have you mentioned your latest findings to the dealer? That may be a better starting point then to pay them to go into the timing belt/tensioner area first.

Good luck and keep us posted!

:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sounds like a "detonation" problem

If the noise "softens" when you run a higher octane fuel, then it sounds like a detonation/pre-ignition problem.
See:
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service Tips/detonation_and_preignition.htm
for an explanation.
My previous truck used to clatter like mad when running cheap gas.
I would recommend trying a good gas additive for a while and see if it helps (something that boosts octane as well as removes deposits).
Also, as recommended on the above site, check your spark plugs (for cleanliness and tightness).

If it was a problem with the timing belt, the sound would almost have to be constant and change RPM with the engine.

It might be something as simple as a sensor/computer problem that is not adjusting the timing correctly.

One thing I would recommend is not going in and telling the mechanic where/ what to look for. Let them do the trouble shooting because you could be putting ideas in their head that will steer them to spend a lot of time looking at something it's not. I've seen this happen several times in my buddy's shop.

If a gas additive fixes or lessens the problem, tell them what you did and what the results were. Let them figure out what's causing it and how to fix it.

I fixed my truck's problem by trading it in for a diesel (which I highly recommend if you need a truck ;-).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Timing Belt

It sounds like an octane problem in the fuel to me.

If your timing belt was loose it would have slipped by now. And if it was off a tooth or more you would definitely know. I had a DSM (eagle talon) and the shop put a timing belt on 1 tooth off. This resulted in about a 40% reduction in power. I knew the second I left the shop, it ran like a dog. I also had a Toyota celica which skipped a tooth on the timing chain, it chattered and clicked very loud and all the time. We're talking idle to redline and it was so noisy you couldn't talk in the cab, had to yell.

So if your car isn't ticking/pinging so loud you can't hear it constanstantly and it doesn't run like someone with a Yugo traded engines with you, I'd guess it's not a timing belt issue.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your timely replies.

I guess what I'll do is, use another tank of premium gas and see if the pinging noise keeps at this softer level. Then, I'll try a couple of tanks of regular gas, followed by a couple of tanks of premium again, BUT this time, using a different brand to see if there are any differences. I've always used gas from Esso, certainly one of the biggest gasoline companies in Canada, but who knows, may be it's their gas after all. Hmmm...that gives me an idea....

Anyway, I'll report back with my findings. I'll most certainly be bringing my Pilot to the dealer though if it turns out that different brand of gas doesn't resolve this problem. I'm also thinking of asking the dealer to see if I can go for a spin in one of their demos to see if the demo Pilot makes similar noise. If it does, then I think it's safe to assume that this pinging noise I'm hearing is supposed to be there and is a characteristic of the Pilot engine. Once again, thanks for your time and courtesy!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bearings in timing belt unit?

Update:
Firstly, anyone know if there are bearings in the timing belt make/components/unit in our Pilots? I'll explain why I'm asking this in a minute.

I'm still searching for a possible explanation/solution to the pinging sound I've had with my Pilot as noted above. I never was able to get the Timing Belt/Hydraulic Seal/Belt Tensioner Diagnostics performed at all when I said I would because none of the dealers would do it, even though I offered to pay for it if nothing was found to be wrong.

However, one good news is that, ever since my Pilot had the timing belt auto-tensioner replaced as per the TSB, the level of the pinging noise definitely has subsided. It's fainter now, but it's still there under the same conditions I mentioned above.

But since I still have the noise, even if at a reduced level, I'm thinking that there's still something wrong with it or something's not quite performing as it should be. The reason I'm still focused on the timing belt unit is because, obviously, there was a markedly improvement with the pinging noise after the TSB was performed.

And the reason I was asking whether there are any bearings in the timing belt unit/component is because someone suggested that the bearings can be the ones making the pinging noise, particularly under moderately or greater load.

Does it seem plausible? Any merit to this? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Listen here, you buckaroos!

Please have a listen at this recording of the pinging sound I get with my Pilot. You can download it from here.

As you can hear, the harder the load, the louder the pinging. After posing questions about my problem at other various forums, some possible reasons given were, "the timing belt make has bearings and sometimes they can make some noise", "The tensioner pulley that holds the timing belt tight IS a bearing, and they sometimes get noisy" and "the EGR valves probably isn't functioning properly or the ports can be clogged up".

I'm wondering about the third response, since quite a few people in here have had EGR valve/port related problems. Anyone know how hard is it to check this myself? Is it just a matter of taking off the plastic intake manifold cover and then taking off the intake manifold cover itself? If it is, then how can I locate the EGR valves and the ports?

I understand that you cannot know whether the EGR vavles are owrking properly or not just be looking at them, but I figured I can at least check to see if my ports are clean and clear. Thanks for your time and patience.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Holy marble rattles, Batman! Good recording!

That really sounds like a RATTLE to me, rather than engine ping.

I don't think it's the EGR valve. While they do go bad on Hondas and don't throw codes, the symptom is usually rough running (like your old heap with a broken carb or a bad plug) rather than noise.

Other than saying it's possibly a heat shield or something else loose around the timing belt or anything throttle-related, I'm at a loss. :confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RipRocK: I just downloaded your mp3 file and listened to it and it does NOT sound like any engine "pinging" that I've heard on previous vehicles. I couldn't even begin to tell you what it might be... Sorry, buddy, but I can't help you isolate the cause of the noise. :(

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheWorm:Yeah, me too, TW. But I kind of take comfort from your opinion that it doesn't sound like an engine ping. PILOTinginCO had a similar problem, but he resolved it after his service dept. adjusted or re-torqued an engine mount. He was kind enough to send me detailed info, so I'll be taking a print out of it with me next time I'm at the dealer.

In the meantime, I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks for your time.

Kemosabe: Heh, I almost didn't see your response there. You must've put it in when I was writing a reply to TW.

Kinda funny to think that at times there are others out there who are writing a reply to the same thread as I am. And yeah, you seem to concur with TW, which is almost a relief in the sense that it's not an engine ping. Pinging can inflict so much damage to your engine!

Oh, and good to have you back :D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RipRocK: There is no way I'm gonna be able to catch up on all 7,426 posts that I missed while on hiatus, so I'm only gonna be able to respond to the ones I see after someone else brings it back to the foreground (like TheWorm did with this one)...

As Mel Brooks said in History of the World -- Part I: "It's good to be the king!" :15:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
kemosabe said:
RipRocK: I just downloaded your mp3 file and listened to it and it does NOT sound like any engine "pinging" that I've heard on previous vehicles. I couldn't even begin to tell you what it might be... Sorry, buddy, but I can't help you isolate the cause of the noise. :(
Ditto here. I listened to it a couple times and I cannot detect any meaningful sound.

:8:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I've listened to the sound three times now, and can't discern anything, other than it's not pinging. RipRock, have you ruled out the infamous throttle cable bracket rattle? :confused:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
colorider said:
Ditto here. I listened to it a couple times and I cannot detect any meaningful sound.
:8:
No kidding? Well, I guess I should take some comfort in that. But there is that high pitched, albeit faint, noise that comes on shortly after each clip of sound starts.

But more and more, it's encouraging to hear from you guys that the noise doesn't sound so bad. May be I'm even more of a sensitive neurotic than I thought :D

jay said:
I've listened to the sound three times now, and can't discern anything, other than it's not pinging. RipRock, have you ruled out the infamous throttle cable bracket rattle? :confused:
Yeah and unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What a racket!!!!!WTF is that?

All I know is that my Pilot does not make that sound.
I dont know what that is but it doesnt sound normal.

I only listened to it once & I can understand the frustration you must be going thru, I just hope the dealership can somehow find a fix for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my Pilot for about 700 miles and I get the same noise under load too. Just at 3000 rpm. It's lound in the morning and dies down a bit as the engine gets warmer.

It's at the dealer. I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SimonS2k, let's hope your dealer finds the source of the noise. There was another post in here a while ago who was experiencing the same noise and his dealer tracked it down to a faulty Y-pipe.

Turned out that something was loose and rattling in that area, so the dealer replaced it under warranty and the noise was gone. Unfortunately, my Y-pipe was deemed to be just fine.

May be that's something you can mention to your dealer, just in case. My Pilot now is close to being a great car if it weren't for this pinging/ratchety noise. Sure would be nice to step on the gas once in a while wihtout wincing because of the noise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts