Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm going down a specific hill, my 2020 Touring seems to want to really stay in 3rd gear. I can press the gas and it will go faster, but it will rev like I have it in a lower gear. It won't go more than 27ish MPH on it's own... no coasting. Thoughts? This might be a safety feature but it doesn't seem to make sense that the RPM's go up so when I'm pressing the gas down the hill. It's in regular "Drive" mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Transmissions do that. Inputs such as engine load, MAF, vehicle YAW, vehicle speed, wheel speed, steering angle, throttle position, etc dictate the gear the transmission stays in due to transmission programming. This is normal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a really interesting experience over the holidays with a rented Hyundai Santa Fe... I live in flat-land so have no real way to test this with my 2019 Pilot, but over new-years, we were in the mountains and I rented the Santa Fe. When I set the cruise to 100km/h, when going down a hill, the engine would actually downshift progressively through lower gears to keep my speed within about 4 kph of the set speed. It was really cool to be able to go down 10% grades without touching the brakes or manually shifting the auto at all! When I took off the cruise control, then it would stay in the same gear as the OP noted and just keep building speed, without cruise I would have to ride and burn the brakes or manually shift gears. But with cruise on, it managed the speed using the engine as a retarder. Cool driving computers with wheels these days.

Cheers
TRJB

·
Registered
99 Posts
A good comparison would be to get a midsize crossover like a Pilot that is spec-ed about the same, and do the test drive. Even the AWD system's dynamics and programming will result in the downshift and upshift characteristics; essentially how the vehicle's stability program is 'programmed'.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
I had a really interesting experience over the holidays with a rented Hyundai Santa Fe... I live in flat-land so have no real way to test this with my 2019 Pilot, but over new-years, we were in the mountains and I rented the Santa Fe. When I set the cruise to 100km/h, when going down a hill, the engine would actually downshift progressively through lower gears to keep my speed within about 4 kph of the set speed. It was really cool to be able to go down 10% grades without touching the brakes or manually shifting the auto at all! When I took off the cruise control, then it would stay in the same gear as the OP noted and just keep building speed, without cruise I would have to ride and burn the brakes or manually shift gears. But with cruise on, it managed the speed using the engine as a retarder. Cool driving computers with wheels these days.

Cheers
TRJB
Actually that’s pretty normal now.
Even my first gen Pilot did that. I didn’t know it did that until I was coming down the hills on the interstate towards Charlotte NC. Looked in the owners manual and dang if it didn’t talk about it right there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts