Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had "check engine" light on my 2008 Pilot (105,000 miles) on for a few days. Nothing worked trying to get rid of it. Car ran fine. Month old battery died (car inactivity during stay home period) and upon recharge, light was off. Took car to my mechanic for oil/filter and transmission fluid change. He checked with his computer and nothing bad came up. But when I picked up the car, the (!) inside the triangle was lit. The VSA warning was not. He double checked with the computer and found nothing. Tried the VSA switch, turned engine off and on, drove home and on the way VSA came on. I stopped, turned engine off and on, actuated the VSA switch, but nothing happened. I still have the triangle witth the (!) inside and the VSA on. Suggestions?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
That annoying light came on for me after futzing with the battery a few years ago. If the forum search worked I could easily find my posts about it, but back then I bit the bullet and headed over to the dealer, forked over 90 bucks, and they cleared it with their proprietary HDS computer. IIRC, some Honda-specific-codes-enabled OBD2 scanners can do it, too, and maybe some OBD-2 port pin bridging can as well, but I don't recall the specifics offhand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn’t it you who posted a video about shorting pin 9 to ground and then go through a routine? I’m going to try it. First, I’m going to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
If your mechanic doesn’t have a Honda specific code reader, you might want to check if there is a shop which can read this code for you. Otherwise there is a method to flash the main code on the dash icons. Do a search for “Flashing D” and the instructions are in one of those posts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That annoying light came on for me after futzing with the battery a few years ago. If the forum search worked I could easily find my posts about it, but back then I bit the bullet and headed over to the dealer, forked over 90 bucks, and they cleared it with their proprietary HDS computer. IIRC, some Honda-specific-codes-enabled OBD2 scanners can do it, too, and maybe some OBD-2 port pin bridging can as well, but I don't recall the specifics offhand.
Did the dealer just turn the light off, or did they find a problem and fixed it?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
What does "Flashing D" mean? That is not the signal that I'm getting on tge dashboard.
Look at Post #12 of the link below. It’s the instructions how to get the main trouble code to flash on your dash. If there is a stored code for the any system the corresponding light will blink on the dash.

I suggested you look for “Flashing D“ since that topic is where I recalled finding the instructions for how to get codes to blink on the dash.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Did the dealer just turn the light off, or did they find a problem and fixed it?
They just turned it off with their proprietary HDS machine. It was a quick and easy 90 bucks for them, and at the time we were both happy, perhaps they a bit more than I.

VSA and ! Light Stay on 2008 Pilot

Reset VSA Light and Indicator

If you feel confident enough to try the DIY solution, thanks to a now-functional forum search feature, I found it for you. Wish I'd known about it earlier.

Traction control light causing VSA system light 2007 Pilot

It has never come back.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
By the way, here's a little tip. If you want to link directly to a post in a thread, just click on the post # near the top of the post you want, then copy the new URL that appears in your browser's address bar and paste that into your post.
#12 Jul 18, 2016
If you're the DIY type and want to save the expense of the dealership diagnostic fee, you can read the code yourself.

See the following post:
flashing shift indicator
Try it with the post quoted just above and/or the original post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at Post #12 of the link below. It’s the instructions how to get the main trouble code to flash on your dash. If there is a stored code for the any system the corresponding light will blink on the dash.

I suggested you look for “Flashing D“ since that topic is where I recalled finding the instructions for how to get codes to blink on the dash.

I appreciate your suggestion but i still dont see a connection to VSA /!\ light on. I did see something about transmission fluid and the shop had just changed it before The light went on

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The instructions in that post are for seeing ALL trouble codes blink on the dash icons. The only reason I referenced the Flashing D post is because that is where the instructions are located for how to see ALL trouble codes flash on the dash icons.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
This link should go to post #187.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
This link should go to post #187.
Success! (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts