Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '04 about a month ago. Since then I've been plagued with a number of rattles and creaks. I've managed to isolate most of the others and either by tightening or adjusting I have been able to stop most. Now I'm down to really just one aggrivating rattle and it seems to come somewhere behind the glovebox. On cooler mornings it seems to go away, but when the outside temperature warms up the rattle seems to come back. I've taken the glovebox out and checked for anything loose and tried tightening every nut and screw I could get to. Still the rattle persists. Has anyone else had this problem and better yet, has anyone located the source of the noise? I do not want to have the dealer messing with this because every time I have taken a car in for this type of thing it comes back worse.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
A question, if you put pressure on th glove compartment door, does the rattle go away? By pressure, I mean pressing your hand against the compartment door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I did have a glovebox rattle but I bent the metal piece that the latch clips to and it stopped that rattle. I had my daughter ride with me and open the glove box. The rattle continued and she could not find where it was coming from, only that it seems to be from somewhere behind the glovebox. My next choice is to remove the glovebox and have someone ride with me to see if they can tell where it is coming from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've isolated mine to a rattle between the outside piece of the glove box (light grey you see from the outside) and the inner black piece of the compartment. If I open the glove box and squeeze the 2 pieces together on the upper corner by the door the rattle goes away. I'm getting that looked at today actually. I have another intermitten rattle by the drivers left foot...couldn't isolate that one though. Got my fingers crossed they find it. I'm also having them look at the drivers seat. It rubs against the center consol and "squeeks" when I drive. Must be my weight : )...it doesn't happen to my wife.

Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I also have a 2004 and it has a rattle by the glove box. When I open it the rattle is not as bad. Today I closed a piece of paper in the latch and it helped. My next move is to take some electrical tape and make a couple of raps around the latch. If that don't work I think I'll just turn up the radio louder.:8:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the glovebox rattle and it almost drove me over the edge. As someone else posted, mine was traced to the two pieces of the glovebox, specifically the edge where they snap together. I solved it by working small pieces of high density foam (from pipe insulation tape) into the gap wtih a flathead screwdriver.

Silence at last!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same symptoms but it turned out to be the tweeter up near the windshield on top of the dash. Rattled like hell in the morning but went away once the temps warmed up. To verify this, when you hear the rattle, press down on the tweeter surface and it will stop.

I popped the tweeter out (you can do this from the top) and expanded the prongs that hold it in its cage. No more rattle!

·
Registered
305 Posts
My '03's glovebox rattled too and the dealer took care of it. I don't know what they did but it's gone. I was starting to think I had mice in the car (not that my car is a dump).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts