Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an easy, do-it-yourself fix for a glove compartment rattle? The rattle seems to be coming from the upper right-hand side of the compartment door, but I could be fooled. All I know is that when I open the compartment up, there's no rattle, and when I close it, it's there again.

As I've said before, I absolutely HATE dash and door rattles. My drivers side door is starting to rattle again (it's in a different place this time, so maybe I just need more silicon spray...the spray cured the upper glass scrunch last time...)

And, btw, for those whose silicon spray left a greasy mess....My dealer did mine, and I couldn't even see that it had been done. They washed the car for me afterwards, and there was no sign of grease, gunk or white stuff. And it worked great for about four weeks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have that rattle too and haven't been able to figure it out. I too and am obsesive compulsive when it comes to rattles ... I like peace and quiet while I drive ... I have tried kicking the dash, but it didn't work ... I don't reccomend doing that ...

PrG

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I now have the rattle coming from the glove compartment as well. I thought perhaps it had to do with the contents of it, so, I emptied it, but the rattle still was there. I drove with the compartment open to see if perhaps the door was vibrating, but that wasn't it either.

I don't think we're being anything neurotic or obsessive when wanting a quiet and rattleand squeak free ride. Road noise/ wind noise is something may be I'll learn to live with since it's attributable to the design of the car, but rattles, squeaks, scrunches and other type of noise that pertains to fit and finish of the car isn't something I'm willing to accept. :3: I'll see what could be the source of this new noise for me and report back if I have a fix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
rattles

There's another thread (somewhere on this site) about rattles. This other thread though is about a rattle that seems to be located somewhere between the radio and glove box. It seems to happen on bumpy roads, and of course there has been no Honda mechanic in the free world that has ever been able to reproduce the rattle, much less take a shot at fixing it. In fact, there are some dealers that don't feel that it is worth their time to take the dashboard apart to try to find it.

There is, however, one board member that has resolved the problem by pounding furiously on the dash board.

:awais:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Clicking or rattle noise is coming from behind the glove box. I found the noise is coming from where the glove box is connected to the dash board (left side) that the two pieces of metal are flexing and making a clicking or rattle noise. Look under both corners of the glove box and you can see the two screws to remove and the area the duck tape needs to be applied. Be sure to cover all metal areas where the glove box connects to the dash.

Apply duck tape around the metal pieces and reattach the glove box. No more noise!!!! It's worked for me for 14,000 plus miles!!!

It seems that tape is the answer to a lot of our problems.

"Painters tape on the door to stop the scrunch sound."
"Duct tape behind glove box to stop the clicking."
"Tape to stop wires from hitting each other under the dash board."
"Electric tape to stop the air deflector from whistling."

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you have the 'glove-box' rattle, maybe just wait for the 'door scrunch rattle' and 'rattle from rear' to start.

This will form a triangle of sound waves in the car and cancel each other out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
[COLOR=deep pink]Is that similar to the Bermuda triangle???[/COLOR]

:12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:~ :12:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glove box door noise fixed

I went to Home Depot and purchased some small door stops. These stops are used on kitchen cabinets to prevent marring of the wood door as it closes against the cabinet box. They are self adhesive and I placed them on the top right and left corners of the glove box where the glove box door rests during closure. Just make sure that you buy the small ones, if they are too large the door will not shut. They are simply acting like shims but they do have some flexibility that helps to quiet the noise. They worked on my Pilot and I avoided a trip to the dealer and spent less than $2. If I could only find a cure for the vibration noise coming from the passenger rear of the vehicle!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Down with Squeaks and Rattles

Sorry to hear about your "rattle", I am Happy to see that others are as completely freaked out about intrusive noises as I am...I unloaded a Jeep GC for the very same thing...as it turned out the rattle on my other car originated from the housing when tourque/load was placed on the vehical as when going up hill etc...
I was interested in how you fixed your squeak from the windshield...you mentioned silicone spray, can you give details in how it was applied...thanks
"seeking ear plugs in Maryland":eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hatch Cover between front seats

So the worst thing I have so far is the cover to the hatch between the front seats is loose like a cheap toy from Toy R Us. I assume it will be fixed but I like to complain:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks for the thread, TopMomm,

I briefly had the rattle a week or so ago. I wasn't able to determine where it was coming from, but I think it was probably the dash box, now that you mention it. If it comes back, I'll know what to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's another thread (somewhere on this site) about rattles. This other thread though is about a rattle that seems to be located somewhere between the radio and glove box. It seems to happen on bumpy roads, and of course there has been no Honda mechanic in the free world that has ever been able to reproduce the rattle, much less take a shot at fixing it. In fact, there are some dealers that don't feel that it is worth their time to take the dashboard apart to try to find it.

There is, however, one board member that has resolved the problem by pounding furiously on the dash board.

This sounds like the rattle I am chasing. Does anyone happen to know more about this or what it is? It happens when I startup from the shaking and it happens when it hit a bunch of bumps. It seems to be coming from the passenger footwell area. Please help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts