Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:31:I have a 06 Pilot exl and have noticed a rattling noise coming from behind my glove box. When I bought it used five months ago there was a similar rattle but mechanic who sold it to me made it go away when they put a new motor in it. They initially told me that there was probably some debris in there and they would vacuum it out, the noise has returned but it is not horrible just......there! It does not seem to matter what vents, temperature, speed I am going it is constant. Once my radio is on I do not even notice it but I would like to make it go away if it is easily done or not too expensive. Any suggestions, I am open to all opinions.:confused:

Scott

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You could remove the glove box and try to isolate where the noise is coming from. Maybe the cabin air filter isn't snug in the housing.

Good Luck,
Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to have a look at that when I have a free weekend. As soon as I posted my issue the sound became intermittent, sometimes it rattles an sometimes not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
filter changed and noise persists

I had the air filter changed last month and they vacuumed the compartment in the process. The filter had apparently never been changed on my 06 Pilot with 206,000 miles. The noise persists so I am going to have to take it apart eventually and try to track it down myself. I usually listen to music loud enough to drown it out but it is just nagging me knowing that I have not figured it out. Any insight would be nice.

Scott

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
One of these could be the culprit:
1) Something loose in air filter comparment
2) Air filter not installed snugly in housing
3) Cover on air filter housing not snapped into place
4) Metal plate (in front of air filter housing) behind glove box not tightened
5) Screws securing glove box on bottom side not fully fastened causing metal hinges to move around

Good Luck,
Steve

·
Registered
668 Posts
Empty your glove box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. My rattle would stop when I applied pressure to the glove box. After weeks of driving around and trying to figure out what it could be, taking all the contents out, taking the box apart, etc. I finally put a small piece of felt furniture scratch pad in each of the top corners and havent had a rattle since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found a link and possible repair

Rattling Center Dash (Heater A/C Air Mix Motor) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

Many people driving Pilots or MDX's seem to have this issue and this is a link I found after watching and LISTENING to a youtube video. It may be the culprit and fixable with an afternoon of work. I will try the other suggestions first but until then I will just keep the stereo loud enough to drown it out or open the car windows.

Scott:wink:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There was a rattle for a few months after buying the Pilot last May, but it seemed to go away as the fall came and the temps dropped.
In my case it seemed to come from the left side around the steering column. If I whacked the column's plastic with my fist or slapped with a palm, the rattle would disappear for a second or two.
Bot nothing from the glove box, knock on wood.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We bought our '08 SE certified-used and the glove box began to rattle after a few months past extended warranty....it was literally the latch assembly of the glove box door became loose.....opened the door and tightened down the latch mounting screws, no more noise.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears to be the hot and cold air mix motor assembly. When I have it on vent, full cold, or full heat the sound is not apparent but when I have the temperature in the middle the rattling noise begins. I am not going to try to tackle the issue since I put new speakers in and my music drowns it out. It will be a project for the future.
Rattling Center Dash (Heater A/C Air Mix Motor) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have still not replaced that hot/cold air mixer yet but also found that part of the noise was coming from the locking hardware for the glove box. The screws that held the hardware onto the glove box, the part that swings down, had become loose. I tightened them down and half of the rattling is gone now........if it had been a snake, it would have bitten me from being so close~!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Open the glove box slowly take a flash light to make sure you don't have a pair of eyes from a chipmunk or squirrel looking at you:smile:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something like that actually did happen to me in my friends early 80's prelude when we were in college. We woke up after a all night party and were driving back to our college in the mountains when I had this strange feeling that I was being watched. Sure enough.....a small field mouse was peering at me through the passenger side air vent with its whiskers blowing in the heated air out of the vent. That little sucker survived the whole winter in his car up at Banner Elk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts