Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the OEM gloss black wheels, how do you clean them?

I currently use Griots Wash and Wax but am afraid to use anything more aggressive (like wheel cleaners) because I don’t want to strip or dull the clear coat.

What has your experiences been to deal with brake dust and road grime ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Car wash soap an a wash mit or microfiber towel. Ceramic coat them with car pro dlux or similar or keep them waxed. Black shows swirls easily. If you start spraying chemicals on them, they won't look good for long.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car wash soap an a wash mit or microfiber towel. Ceramic coat them with car pro dlux or similar or keep them waxed. Black shows swirls easily. If you start spraying chemicals on them, they won't look good for long.
Thanks. I always thought the same. I’ll just keep using car wash soap and water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Honda has to know that car washes will spray the same chemicals on their painted wheels that they use on unpainted wheels, so I would expect that paint (powder coat?) on wheels is more durable than the paint on the body. The wheels deal with more temperature swings and abuse than the body of the car, so if they're just spraying them with standard paint and clearcoat it won't last long.

I agree with the above -- if DIY, then regular car wash on a mitt and a sealant occasionally. But if using a machine wash, it isn't unrealistic to expect some durability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts