Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always lovk my Honda at night. Last night though, we had a very aggressive thunderstorm with several hours of constant lightning. This morning ALL 4 WINDOWS were open the exact same amount (exactly 8 1/2 inches, I measured) sunroof also opened 4 inches. Ever happen to anyone? Could the electrical storm caused it? I have never seen anything like this before.

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,757 Posts
There is a sequence of pressed buttons on the key fob that can cause this.

Reactions: cliff142

·
Super Moderator
4,907 Posts
There is a sequence of pressed buttons on the key fob that can cause this.
Agreed! But I also believe in “ghosts” too. On a Highlander I manually locked the doors with the motor running, wallet and phone in there. Running out of options short of busting a window I borrowed the tenant’s phone to make a call. The tenant and I witnessed the door suddenly unlock…..

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,571 Posts
You’re not the first to find the magic combination by accident, you won’t be the last. It’s reported by someone probably every month or two.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's a feature of many Honda vehicles. I know that my daughter's 2010 TL also has this feature. I think that it is to let your parked vehicle interior cool on a hot day. You can open all the windows as you are approaching the car. Note, the doors remain locked until you unlock them with the fob. I tried reaching in thru the open window and opened the door handle, and the theft alarm triggered.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Agreed! But I also believe in “ghosts” too. On a Highlander I manually locked the doors with the motor running, wallet and phone in there. Running out of options short of busting a window I borrowed the tenant’s phone to make a call. The tenant and I witnessed the door suddenly unlock…..
Ya sorry, I don’t believe in ghosts.
🤷🏻 Lol

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
I think it’s two buttons on the fob held simultaneously

·
Registered
19 Posts
Always lovk my Honda at night. Last night though, we had a very aggressive thunderstorm with several hours of constant lightning. This morning ALL 4 WINDOWS were open the exact same amount (exactly 8 1/2 inches, I measured) sunroof also opened 4 inches. Ever happen to anyone? Could the electrical storm caused it? I have never seen anything like this before.
My 2011 LX did that twice, windows fully open, but never again after I replaced the key fob. Funny how all the windows on your car were only open partially. I know if you press and hold the unlock button on 2011 LX and 2014 EXL, all the windows will open.
Electrical glitch or some RF anomaly. Spooky.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The open window thing happened to me last winter as I was removing snow from the driveway. The key in my pocket must have been squeezed just the right way as I was moving around. I had no idea about the window opening feature on the remote at that time. To keep my mild paranoia at bay regarding overnight storms I now take my keys out of my pocket as soon as I get in the house.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The open window thing happened to me last winter as I was removing snow from the driveway. The key in my pocket must have been squeezed just the right way as I was moving around. I had no idea about the window opening feature on the remote at that time. To keep my mild paranoia at bay regarding overnight storms I now take my keys out of my pocket as soon as I get in the house.
I see, so there you go... Because if you release the button when the windows are 8 inches down, that's where it stops.
They need to put a flip up cover on these friggin key fobs 😡 and stop making seats that are lower in the rear end (buttcheeks).

·
Registered
55 Posts
From my 2017 Elite OM:
■ Opening Windows and the Moonroof* or Panoramic Roof* with the Remote Unlock Button
* Not available on all models
To open: Press the unlock button twice within 10 seconds and hold it down the second time. If the windows stop midway, repeat the procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From my 2017 Elite OM:
■ Opening Windows and the Moonroof* or Panoramic Roof* with the Remote Unlock Button
* Not available on all models
To open: Press the unlock button twice within 10 seconds and hold it down the second time. If the windows stop midway, repeat the procedure.
This is correct for my 2017 EX-L and our 2014 MDX. mvh

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I will never forgive Honda for doing something so stupid. We've been lucky on our 18 Accord to only have it been swamped from rain once, but jeez who thought it was a great idea to have something that can be triggered accidentally. I'd be willing to bet $ that it happens 100+ times accidentally for every one time done intentionally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep, I will never forgive Honda for doing something so stupid. We've been lucky on our 18 Accord to only have it been swamped from rain once, but jeez who thought it was a great idea to have something that can be triggered accidentally. I'd be willing to bet $ that it happens 100+ times accidentally for every one time done intentionally.
It's a pretty standard way of lowering the windows for many manufacturers, not just Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had just over 300 miles on our band new Honda Pilot, when our car got totally flooded. After carrying in groceries we didn't use the car for two more days. Both days we had severe thunderstorms. On the third day I went outside to find all the windows and sunroof had been open and the interior of the car was flooded. I had no idea how the windows could have opened all by themselves until my daughter did some research and found that apparently the key fob will cause that if the right (wrong) combination was pressed. Since the keys were in my pocket, the combination must have gotten pressed when the box I was carrying pushed against the key fob. This is the most stupid thing Honda created. I understand there is no way to re program the key fob to eliminate that function.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts