Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Frugal" VCM disable for $5

Just picked up a 2015 pilot ex-l with 100k miles and wasn’t happy with the VCM feature. All the solutions you can buy just add a resistor to the signal wire coming from the temp sensor. Plenty of videos out there showing exactly how to install one of those plug and play options.

Here is the option for cheap savages like myself. You need a resistor (I used and 82 ohm which worked perfect) and two Wago lever nut connectors glued together (use epoxy or CA with activator). Remove the pigtail from the temp sensor, use a razor to carefully cut open the plastic loom and snip the pink wire. Strip both ends and put each one into one of he outer holes in your glued together levernuts. Install the resistor in the two inner holes of the lever nuts. Clean the pigtail back up and plug it in. Done. No more VCM. You can easily swap to larger resistor if needed or replace the resisotor with a jumper wire and it’s back to normal.

Here’s some pics I took of the process:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly you spliced into you main pigtail? kiss your warranty good bye ..oh and those videos your talking about? those were created by members that are on these forums ...you might want to choose a better way of words instead of "Ghetto" I built mine myself
yes it's cheaper but I wouldn't consider it "ghetto" .. also another idea you my want to ponder there is a variable resistor that you can plug into the male connector so you don't need to play with resistors all the time ...

Welcome to the forums :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car doesn't have a warranty to kiss goodbye! I was referring to the way I did it as ghetto, not the units for sale. Any one that has more money than time should just buy the ready made units. I, however, am cheap! :grin:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My car doesn't have a warranty to kiss goodbye! I was referring to the way I did it as ghetto, not the units for sale. Any one that has more money than time should just buy the ready made units. I, however, am cheap! :grin:
Point well done :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
The levernuts are fine to swap in a resistor till you find one that works for you but the connection needs to be more resistant from the environments. Best to solder the part in. I found that the 100 ohm resistance works year round for me.

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
Let's say the "ghetto" wire splicing fails.... will you or a family member be left with a vehicle that stops dead in the road?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's say the "ghetto" wire splicing fails.... will you or a family member be left with a vehicle that stops dead in the road?
No. There would a be a CEL just as would happen if the temp sensor failed. The vehicle wouldn’t stop dead.

For clarity, I just posted these pics in case anyone wanted to disable VCM without spending the cash on a ready made unit. I’m not contending that this approach is better, just cheaper. If you don’t service your own vehicle, mods like this probably aren’t a good idea. As far as the lever nuts, they don’t let go without the lever being released. If that is an issue for someone, you could simply solder in the resistor once you confirmed the right resistor for your vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts