Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December my windshield was hit by a rock from a truck. It was a 1/4 inch star burst. Saflite came out and repaired it, zero cost to me thru Erie insurance. I could still slightly see it and it was no big deal. About two weeks ago it started to grow. Went into Safelite this morning and they said it looks like the fixed failed. It might stay the same it might get larger. I opted for a replacement next Saturday morning. The said with the install and recalibration it will take 2.5 to 3 hours. With Erie I get factory OEM glass.

Is their anything I should be looking for when the install in complete? Its been about 20 years since I had to get a new front windshield

Thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's just the camera which is an issue. Someone had told me only the dealers have tools to calibrate the camera, but it could've been just to try to convince me to go to the dealer. Let's see what other people say. No harm in having more opinions.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had to replace mine at about 2 months old (seriously - what are the chances?). Safelite will do the calibration for the new windshield, but Honda tech suggested that I have Safelite do the glass and then bring to Honda for the calibration. That's what I did - it might've been unnecessary, but I figured it would make me sad if the electronics were wonky. Insurance paid for it either way, I just had to drive it to the dealer, pay up front, get reimbursed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had to replace mine at about 2 months old (seriously - what are the chances?). Safelite will do the calibration for the new windshield, but Honda tech suggested that I have Safelite do the glass and then bring to Honda for the calibration. That's what I did - it might've been unnecessary, but I figured it would make me sad if the electronics were wonky. Insurance paid for it either way, I just had to drive it to the dealer, pay up front, get reimbursed.
How much did the Honda dealer charge to calibrate? Safelite quoted me $600.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. The Safelite location I'm going to has all of the factory authorized tools to do the calibration or at least that is what the told me. The manager said they normally get 3-5 cars in a week from a couple local Honda dealers for windshield repair who don't have the tools. My deductible thru Erie is $250, that includes everything

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The Safelite location I'm going to has all of the factory authorized tools to do the calibration or at least that is what the told me. The manager said they normally get 3-5 cars in a week from a couple local Honda dealers for windshield repair who don't have the tools. My deductible thru Erie is $250, that includes everything
Call your dealer just in case and ask if it'll mess with the warranty at all. If you have to get any repairs with the warranty, they might make you pay up because "they didn't install it properly".

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've gotten my replaced 2x.. I pay $525.. no calibration. The glass tech does not move the cameras. When I drive I have noticed no problems with any of the camera systems.

If I did, I would go pay to get it calibrated.

I'm beginning to think that the calibration is unnecessary unless to devices shift or move.

·
Registered
750 Posts
All Honda dealers are sent the tools automatically, no option to not have them. They are sending you to someone else to avoid liability. There have been multiple lawsuits over non or mis calibrated drivers assist systems.
Many glass companies and customers believe because there are no dtc after glass replacement that all is ok. This is not the case, 1mm off at the camera is multiple feet at working distance. 2 glass shops here are now closed due to lawsuits from them not calibrating cameras after glass replacement. Insurance companies also require it, if it required after certain repairs that require it. Search adas lawsuits, it needs to be done, and done correctly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Install went without a hitch. 45 minutes to remove old glass and about hour to do the recalibration which I was able to watch. After the calibration the tech took it for a road test. Hard to believe the entire thing would cost over $1500. $839 for the glass and $630 for labor plus tax

·
Registered
813 Posts
Install went without a hitch. 45 minutes to remove old glass and about hour to do the recalibration which I was able to watch. After the calibration the tech took it for a road test. Hard to believe the entire thing would cost over $1500. $839 for the glass and $630 for labor plus tax
One auto reviewer company (forgot who it was) said that it costs $1,600 to replace a windshield on a Kia Telluride. Either they underpaid or you overpaid for the windshield. There’s no way a windshield for a car that’s been selling for 5 years costs almost the same as a car that’s booked till 2021.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One auto reviewer company (forgot who it was) said that it costs $1,600 to replace a windshield on a Kia Telluride. Either they underpaid or you overpaid for the windshield. There’s no way a windshield for a car that’s been selling for 5 years costs almost the same as a car that’s booked till 2021.
Did you actually read me post? For starters I didn't overpay for anything. My deductible is $250 if the windshield is $300 or $3000. I listed what was on the receipt, $830 for parts (glass) and $630 for labor

·
Registered
813 Posts
Did you actually read me post? For starters I didn't overpay for anything. My deductible is $250 if the windshield is $300 or $3000. I listed what was on the receipt, $830 for parts (glass) and $630 for labor
Ohh. I should’ve read the whole thing😅.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Kia Telluride also has a factory backed extended warranty right now on their windshields. It appears a lot of them are getting a stone chip which within a very short period of time turns into a large crack. Just read about it yesterday. They will cover the glass, install, and loaner car and will support it until they determine what is wrong with their glass supply. They also noted that vehicles damaged in an accident will not be covered. They may also refund those who have paid out of pocket already for a repair.

Kia Telluride Broken Windshield

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
One of the problems with more modern glass windshields. Apparently to create noise reduction windshields requires a different, softer, glass than what was used in the safety glass of old.

·
Registered
813 Posts
One of the problems with more modern glass windshields. Apparently to create noise reduction windshields requires a different, softer, glass than what was used in the safety glass of old.
What about the acoustic windshield that’s on the Touring and up? Does that reduce strength and increase cost or are there no disadvantages to it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts