·
Registered
7,953 Posts
dang...if only I was buying a used car today:D :D :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked my cars just to make sure everything was OK.

·
Registered
496 Posts
guitarman said:
I checked my cars just to make sure everything was OK.
Ditto. Thanks for the info!

kad

·
Registered
423 Posts
In my experience, Carfax is a hoax! I checked my 2 cars a few weeks ago and they both showd 0 accidents even tho my Honda Civic had been almost totaled 2 time and another major wreck too. I am not sure it worth the money. I sure would not trust it for a car I was buying.

·
Registered
496 Posts
4603pba said:
In my experience, Carfax is a hoax! I checked my 2 cars a few weeks ago and they both showd 0 accidents even tho my Honda Civic had been almost totaled 2 time and another major wreck too. I am not sure it worth the money. I sure would not trust it for a car I was buying.
You may be right, but keep in mind they get their info from the states' DMV. If the info isn't in there (say, due to clerical error) or if state law prohibits releasing that information, they may not have it.

Just my $0.02 :)

kad

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct Kad. Some states don't report accident information. Also, unless a police report was filed, an accident might not get picked up by Carfax.

While Carfax is not foolproof by any means, it does provide useful information, particularly with regards to how many owners a car has had. I wouldn't want a car that went through several owners in a short period of time. Carfax will also tell you if the car was a lease. I've also seen Carfax reports where the mileage on the car went down over time (odometer fraud). For example, Carfax reports the car's mileage when it undergoes its periodic New York State safety inspection.

I wouldn't buy a used car without seeing the Carfax report. Most used car dealers will show it to you, or you can get a 1 month subscription and run as many reports as you want.

Again, a clean bill of health doesn't necessarily mean there are no problems, but problems noted on the Carfax report certainly are worth knowing before you purchase the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts