Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Piloteers,
New member here looking to purchase my first Honda. Liked the space and value of the pilot for hauling my RC airplanes but have grown tired of driving Siennas for so many years. I went to look at a 2016 EX-L that was leased with a clean car fax and service history. Mostly, I liked what I saw until I looked underneath the rear and saw some good rust starting the rear sub frame, control arms and bumper supports. This is a 39k mile NY car but reminds me too much of the mess that my 2007 Toyota turned into. Searching around this forum and some others this doesn't seem uncommon in the rust belt. Has anyone had real issues with this? This will be a long term utility car for me and don't want spend a lot fixing problems later.
After lots of searches I have seen 2016 to be more problematic than other years and I have seen tnnons of infotainment system complaints. Should this model be avoided for the newer models?

Thanks inn advance,

Anthony

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seems about par for the course RustWise. I have a 2016 that used to live in Bergen County. Don't think you are going to get much better than that unless you buy new and get chassis baths weekly. It what happens in the North. Unavoidable.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
The vehicle in your photos obviously has been driven on salted roads. I don't have this problem where I live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edited my first post to try to make it a little easier to read. Thanks Obsidian I was afraid that is typical and none of us will know for a few more yearsif this is a real problem.

Has anyone looked at that car problems link? Much higher number of issues for the 2016 after the update and improving each year until the face lift in 2019. Does this data follow peoples experience? Should I avoid the 2016 model year?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My 2016 in NY is a mess underneath from rust. I used a wire brush on the hitch receiver and sprayed rustoleum rust reformer a few weeks ago. This does remind me I should get a car wash to wash the salt off the undercarriage since the car has been sitting pretty much since COVID began.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Don't you guys in the Northern states have Krown or Rust Check like we have here in Canada? It's the only rust protection that works in our salty winter environment. Had our 16 EXL Krowned when we purchased it used last Dec cause it was looking very similar to the pictures. Nice thing about this type of rust proofing, is that it penetrates existing rust and drives out the moisture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We drive on salt brined roads. I've been using Corrosion X HD on the chasis once a year. Sometimes every other year on all my cars and it does what it says. The biggest danger is walking on the garage floor after spraying the stuff.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
The biggest danger is walking on the garage floor after spraying the stuff.
Same with the Krown, it is definitely not "dripless" as they say, but it works. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and this type of rust proofing really works cause it gets into all the seams where rust starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts