Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All ,

I made the maintenance sheet for fluids and replacement stuff into an Excel Spreadsheet, It was quick and easy and this is for my own reference but i would to share it with members who also ask when do i change this ?

I'm also adding on the second sheet the types of fluids that are needed and where to get them :)

Any suggestions or things that need to be added please chime in :)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to anticipate on what's coming up usually when the MM shows up that's when you have to fix it. The oil is always done through the MM on my pilots I can never get it to 7500 miles :grin:
I only listed it on the sheet since when i have family members that get new pilots its the ole same question about the fluids. :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New updated sheet Still adding part numbers for the bulbs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MM first alerts you to upcoming service at 15% oil life so that it can be done by the time it gets down to 0%.
Is that not enough advance notice?
I never allow my oil past 15% not with NYC driving that would last me about a week at best, besides if you wait for the MM to pop how is that preventive maintenance . You are waiting for the MM to tell you what to be done instead of just going ahead and doing it..so the coin swings both ways on that. These days money is tight for some so things like tranny flushes and stuff are needed ..you can be better more prepared for the issue when it comes up . I myself feel that the MM controls you ..tells you what's needed. i prefer just do it. For Some people like to be controlled that's why some have an Iphone ..not an android >:)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I never allow my oil past 15% not with NYC driving that would last me about a week at best, besides if you wait for the MM to pop how is that preventive maintenance .
Do you have some evidence, such a used oil analysis report, to prove that the calculation of oil life by the MM is not accurate?

You are waiting for the MM to tell you what to be done ...
What's wrong with that method?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm with adamizer on this one.

As I understand it, you are supposed to change the oil at least once a year. I've put about 1000 miles on my '09 since I purchased it just before Christmas. The MM tells me I have 90% life left. Assuming I continue putting this kind of mileage on it, will the MM tell me to change the oil next December with just over 2000 mi since the last change? Doubt it. Traditional wisdom has you changing the TB every 7 years even if you haven't put that many miles on it due to rubber aging. But the MM doesn't reflect that. The point is that the MM doesn't know everything about your driving habits. It also doesn't know if you are parking it in the Arizona sun, Louisiana humidity, or the Great White North, or that you've just started a 3000 mi road trip towing a trailer when it decides to say 'Hello'.

I like to be ahead of things...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with adamizer on this one.

or that you've just started a 3000 mi road trip towing a trailer when it decides to say 'Hello'.

I like to be ahead of things...
Don't forget your oil analysis before you go :nerd:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where do you travel such that there are no Honda dealers for the next 3000 miles where you could have any required maintenance done?

Are you serious?

Like I would want to interrupt a road trip or a shorter family vacation even for a few hours to deal with maintenance? And where am I going to park the trailer in the meantime? The whole point here is to prevent that kind of thing...

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Like I would want to interrupt a road trip or a shorter family vacation even for a few hours to deal with maintenance? And where am I going to park the trailer in the meantime?
Does your 3,000-mile road trip consist of only non-stop driving?
Wouldn't the Honda dealer have some space to park your trailer while the Pilot was being serviced?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does your 3,000-mile road trip consist of only non-stop driving?
Wouldn't the Honda dealer have some space to park your trailer while the Pilot was being serviced?
You're missing the point. I don't wanna deal with this on vacation (sorry I threw you a red herring). I want to know that even after I get back, there is no deferred maintenance. I don't mind if the previous oil change doesn't go to 7500 miles. The spreadsheet will definitely help in that regard.

Adamizer: If you're making copies available, count me as interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
New updated sheet Still adding part numbers for the bulbs
I think the information is worthy of posting. It is easier to understand what is going on with the MM when I can see it in print. Also, it helps me keep the dealership service department honest, by knowing what is and what is not required by the MM code.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It is easier to understand what is going on with the MM when I can see it in print. Also, it helps me keep the dealership service department honest, by knowing what is and what is not required by the MM code.
Doesn't the owner's manual explain (in print) what is required by each of the MM codes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a newbie with a 2012 EX-L, so the whole MM thing to me is crazy... I would like to get a copy if you're making it available...
I too like to do things on my schedule & not necessarily when it just happens!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doesn't the owner's manual explain (in print) what is required by each of the MM codes?
If i sit my Pilot for 8 years ..how would the MM help in that situation ? The MM is for guidance when something is due based on driving habits. Nobody that seriously travels with the Pilot will solely rely on the MM.. How many people here would love to spend their vacation time sitting in a dealership? I don't

Once finished i will post it for whoever once a copy ..its not meant for sale in anyway i'm saving it as
opensource just give credit back to this awesome site where you got it from.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
My reply was to a post from Sparkland about somehow "keeping the dealership service department honest."

If i sit my Pilot for 8 years ..how would the MM help in that situation ?
Please elaborate.

Nobody that seriously travels with the Pilot will solely rely on the MM.
Define "serious" travel?
Given a typical oil change interval of 7,500 miles, the MM will start to alert you over 1,100 miles before any service is due.
Highway driving will extend that interval.
How many Pilot owner's travel over 1,100 miles from home in their vehicle?

How many people here would love to spend their vacation time sitting in a dealership? I don't
You give the impression that your vacations are all non-stop driving.
Aside from the major service about every 105K miles, any needed fluid and filter changes could be accomplished within an hour or two at a dealer's express service lane. It could probably be done during a lunch stop.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts