Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I drove from Houston to Dallas, 300 miles. Initially (like halfway through) I was getting a gas mileage of 26.7. Then I got greedy and thought it would be awesome if I could extend it to 27. So I tried cruise control for the 1st time on my Pilot. It didn't really work, I probably was missing something. Then I pressed some controls, MAIN and surrounding buttons (pic attached) and it allowed me to increase or decrease the speed. It was probably setting the max speed before which it would apply brakes?. The car seemed to hesitate after that. Gas mileage dropped significantly during this time So I cancelled it, stopped, and restarted. The car seemed to have come back to it's original state. However, my gas mileage dropped to 25 AND it seemed to go to higher RPMs before switching gears? Oh and it was pouring almost the entire way.

Any ideas? Something to worry about?

Attachments

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,585 Posts
Never use cruise control in the rain. Tires will spin on water, loosing traction causing rpms to surge.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cruise control exists to maintain a constant speed. This is not a fuel efficient way to drive. You are smarter than the computer and can see the road ahead. Cruise control is for long flat stretches.

·
Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
176 Posts
So, I drove from Houston to Dallas, 300 miles. Initially (like halfway through) I was getting a gas mileage of 26.7. Then I got greedy and thought it would be awesome if I could extend it to 27. So I tried cruise control for the 1st time on my Pilot. It didn't really work, I probably was missing something. Then I pressed some controls, MAIN and surrounding buttons (pic attached) and it allowed me to increase or decrease the speed. It was probably setting the max speed before which it would apply brakes?. The car seemed to hesitate after that. Gas mileage dropped significantly during this time So I cancelled it, stopped, and restarted. The car seemed to have come back to it's original state. However, my gas mileage dropped to 25 AND it seemed to go to higher RPMs before switching gears? Oh and it was pouring almost the entire way.

Any ideas? Something to worry about?
Sounds like normal operation to me. In case you're not familar with the "level 1" autopilot cruise control on your pilot, here's how it works:

To turn on the CC, press MAIN and then the “SET” button to set the speed at the MPH you are currently traveling. To increase or decrease the set speed by 1 MPH, press the “-“ button or the “+”. Each press of the either button will increase or decrease set speed by 1 mph. If you hold those buttons for approximately 1 second, the speed will increase or decrease by 5 mph. If you have to hit the brakes, the CC will shut off. To resume the speed, hit the “RES” button.

Your pilot has radar cruise control and lane keeping so it will slow and follow the car in front of you if it’s going slower. To change the following distance, press the car button with the lines under it. More lines on the dash display means a father following distance. The radar cruise control will slow/brake your car to follow and match the speed of the car in front of you if it’s going slower. If you switch lanes to the passing lane, your car will accelerate back to the set speed without you having to touch the accelerator. The transmission will usually kick down a gear or two anytime you need to accelerate and increase speed, or if you’re on a steep hill and it is trying to maintain the set speed. If the car ahead of you is varying it’s speed, your car will too. When they accelerate, your car may kick down a gear and accelerate too, and when they slow you will slow to follow at the set distance. Is that what you were experiencing?

BTW, to turn on auto lane centering/lane keeping, press the steering wheel button next to the main button. It’s works at speeds over 35 mph. You will feel slight tugging on the steering wheel to keep it centered. Will feel like it’s pulling left/right in the direction of the lane centerline. The main has to be on, but you don't have to have the CC set for the auto steering feature to work. You also have to keep your hands on the wheel (it has to sense steering wheel resistance), but you can take them off for 15 seconds or so before you will get a warning to put your hands back on the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts