Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Gasoline smell in garage

Tags
gas odor
8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
I recently bought certified 2020 Pilot touring AWD and every time I go in garage I smell gas fumes. I don't start or idle the car with the garage door shut.

Has anyone experienced this as well ? any suggestions why this might be the happening ?

#6 ·
Ye it does. That’s a good point I will check that. Personally I don’t like the cap less fuel fillers either.
My 16 always stunk to hell after a fill up, just the way the capless filler worked I guess. If you are the type who likes to squeeze an extra half gallon after the pump shuts off, it's going to be a lot worse, avoid adding after the pump turns off.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I haven’t yet filled gas in the car it still is running on the gas that the dealer put in it. It’s only been a week or so since I bought this.

#18 ·
The filler is designed to remain sealed but there are still vents for gasoline vapors that every car has. If they didn't, when it got cold the tanks would collapse on themselves. Same goes for expansion, it needs to go somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yep you're correct, I should have been more specific. It doesn't sound like that is the source of OP's fuel odor issue though.

#8 ·
Where's you snow blower, weed eater, lawn mower, and gas can kept?

#9 ·
My 2020 has the same gas/fume type smell coming from the engine area. It only happens when the engine is hot (after 15-20 minutes of driving). If you pull it into the garage the odors are intense. The biggest problem is that the HVAC system brings the smell into the cabin when the car is idle and no air is circulating in the engine area.

I already took it to the dealer and gave them a long writeup on how to reproduce the problem and they quickly dismissed it and told me to pound sand. I've regretted this purchase for the past year, unfortunately. The Ridgeline owners forum has a very similar issue with those vehicles and I sent the link to my dealer but they didn't even respond to it.

#10 ·
My 2020 has the same gas/fume type smell coming from the engine area. It only happens when the engine is hot (after 15-20 minutes of driving). If you pull it into the garage the odors are intense. The biggest problem is that the HVAC system brings the smell into the cabin when the car is idle and no air is circulating in the engine area.

I already took it to the dealer and gave them a long writeup on how to reproduce the problem and they quickly dismissed it and told me to pound sand. I've regretted this purchase for the past year, unfortunately. The Ridgeline owners forum has a very similar issue with those vehicles and I sent the link to my dealer but they didn't even respond to it.
Seems to possibly be a 3rd Gen thing. While I don't own a 3rd Gen, I'd like to help solve the problem for you and others. This is not right, and not good, no not good at all (my Dr. Zuess version).
I hope between the forums, a solution can be sought.

Some possibilities could be, an improperly working Evac system? Does the newer pilots have a constant fuel rail pressure? - As in to and from the gas tank- may newer vehicles do- that could be faulty of have a faulty vent? What else? C'mon guys/gals

Reactions: skadoosh
#12 ·
I called the dealership and spoke with their Service consultant who said that “ this is happening as designed and there is nothing wrong with the car. It is due to Direct injection system which Evacs any vapors even in a parked car when the pressure is above 1200 psi.”

that makes me uncomfortable but would love to hear from members here if that’s accurate ?

P.s. I am not a car mechanic by any means and don’t understand engines much.

#17 ·
There's an existing thread on this subject.

My 2017 Ridgeline did not smell like gas, but my 2019 did and so did my 2018 Accord 2.0T and 2019 RDX. My 2021 Ridgeline does not smell like gas...yet, anyway.