Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other gasoline additives. I have been using 89-91 octane gas blended with gas-ahol for the last 10 years. I have done this because in most cases it is cheaper where I live than regular unleaded gas and because it is a higher octane. I have not noticed any problems with deterioration of rubber, seals, tubes, lines, etc. The other day a friend of mine told me his company refused to let him put gasahol into his company provided vehicle even if it was cheaper because they felt the blended gas caused problems. With my new Pilot coming in the next 30 days I wanted to get input from any of you as to any "facts" you can provide if this is true or not. Thanks for the input.:confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
funny thing

I was just reading the Pilot manual on Wed. and noticed there is actually a section on Gasahol and other products of the sort. I think it was a methanol additive they said was absolutely not allowed but you should check the book to be sure. They also had a certain level of gasahol which was allowed.

(No not the whole manual, I was looking for the exact number of gallons at which the low fuel light would come on.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cannot buy fuels without alcohol in some areas...

I don't even think they call it gasohol anymore. All the fuel in Chicago area is blended with 'oxygenates' per the EPA. I think MTBE has gotten too much bad press and they have to use alcohol.

Pretty sure the auto manufacturers all OK use of 10% alcohol because of this.

There are even a few sources of M-85 in Chicago. That is the 15% gas 85% methanol blend that some vehicles ( like the flexible fuel Taurus) uses. The have heavy duty fuel system components to protect against corrisive effects, and I belive a wider range of timing advance/retard settings to give acceptable perforamce with the reduced bTU content fuel...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts