Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the gas tank sloshing, especially when tank is full. When you stop and brake quickly (like on a driveway or at a stop sign) you can here a thud and the gas moving around. I have already called Honda and they said they were aware of it. EVERYONE CALL THEM! This is aweful design problem. I am very unhappy with this issue. :(

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Return the car immediately!

It seems you have the same deffect as many Odyssey, MDX, and Pilot owners have.
Perfect-itis.

Sorry, it's early, but this has been noticed by many for a few years now.

I doubt there is a fix comming, and overwhelming the help line with requests they can not fix will not help us when we need Honda to address a real problem.
Didn'ty your Mom ever read you the story about the boy who cried wolf?

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is a well discussed issue If you search through the existing thread's you will find discussions on "thunking" sounds, which relates to the gas tank issue you have described.

I just checked and no one has reported this in the Knowledge Base yet, but many of us have complained about it. I went ahead and logged it, but it added some symptoms, resolutions, and a link that I did not add. I'm not sure why it associated those with this new Problem and I can't delete them. But they do not apply to the logged problem.

Admin, could you clean that up? It is logged as Problem #15, and the current bogus items are Symptoms 1 & 2, Resolutions 1 & 2, and Link 1. It looks like this is data from the acuramdx.org site.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sloshing

I've noticed it as well but only twice in 2,000 miles. I know it's a common "complaint" on the MDX as well. Maybe the new plastic gas tanks have less insulation value.

Like I said, only twice in 2k so it's really not an issue. Besides, I always have the radio/CD on so I really don't hear much!

·
Registered
232 Posts
We hear the sloshing every once in a while but it's not a big deal. The only time I hear it is when everything is off and it was still just barely audible. I believe I've heard this on other cars as well. You can't soundproof everything. :8:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Return the car immediately!

N_Jay said:
It seems you have the same deffect as many Odyssey, MDX, and Pilot owners have.
Perfect-itis.

Sorry, it's early, but this has been noticed by many for a few years now.

Hey - I noticed that when you step hard on the accelerator, the engine starts to make a really loud noise.
Has anyone else found this problem?
:p :20: :32:

·
Registered
232 Posts
As a matter of fact the engine sounds rather tame compared to that growling exhaust note! :21:

I think I'm going to put some sidepipes on and really spruce it up ! I'll be the envy of the neighborhood :22: :22:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THUDS!!

This thud / clunk / swooooosh drives me crazy - especially when tank is full. Gets better as tank level goes down. Anyone think undercoating the PLASTIC tank would help? I have contacted Honda but they did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I am going to write. When braking suddenly-stops signs or pulling into garage the problem is very noticable. Anyone's thoughts??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I heard teh same Noise.

Honda replied in writing that it is a normal Noise.

there is not such a thing as a normal defect.

These engineers should kicked out of Honda, and Honda should be addressing this issue.

Canadian lets go to CAMVAP.ca and make enough noise taht Honda can hear us.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Gas tank noises

Hi Guys, Just wondering how bad is this gas tank noise? Do you hear it all the time, or only when you come to a stop? When I was on my test drive, I did not hear anything, but there was only about a quarter tank left..

Rob

·
Registered
168 Posts
I rarely notice the noise myself. Any thuds I here in the Pilot are usually the subwoofer! Now, if you drive the Odyssey, you will notice the thud more pronounced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the Time

Trust me, it is there all the time until the tank hits 1/2 full. Them is is less noticeable.
Good Luck. I'll never buy a car again with this issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Pilotman,

Thats pretty drastic. I know different things affect people in different ways, but gas sloshing is actually pretty common. Sure I hear it in the Pilot, but I've actually heard it to varying degrees in every vehicle I've ever owned. Sorry to hear about the troubles. It sounds like this one is really getting to you.

Chris

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: All the Time

pilotman said:
Trust me, it is there all the time until the tank hits 1/2 full. Them is is less noticeable.
Good Luck. I'll never buy a car again with this issue.
I understand your frustration but try to hang in there, every car has there little annoyance's, but I find in time it becomes less and less noticeable.

Once my Pilot comes in, I have been annoyed with the saggy seat issue, but after PMing alot of people on this forum most people say it is not a big deal, and believe that the Pilots leather seats are one of the most comfortable seats they ever had.

(of course I will try to get Honda to fix it)

Man it sure would be nice to have a Pilot!!

take care
rob

:2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts