Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I discovered a new indicative feature of my Pilot. I pumped gas this morning, and when I was driving in stop-and-go traffic, I could hear gasoline moving in the tank from underneath the second row!! I mean, it was not kind of watery sound; it was loud!! I even stopped to check if anything was loose, but I found none.

I have always driven with my stereo on; today I turned in off and I could hear it really clearly! I saw a complaint from a Pilot owner stating that Honda created its tank topology in a way that there was physically a gap between the nozzle pipe and tank itself to prevent top-offs.

Would someone try listening to the gas from the tank when accelerating from a full stop and tell me if you hear the same thing? If yes, we will discuss more about it..

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Well, since no one else has replied...

I don't really notice, but I drive with the radio on most of the time.

There are lots of posts discussing this noise. Here's one, here's another,...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gas tank Noise

I just don't hear it. Sorry, maybe there is something very faint, but certaily nothing loud.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The only time I notice if my tank is around half full and when at a complete stop and park, then you can here it slap around. When it is full I do not here it at all. I have my Pilot in for service and have mentioned this to them.

rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure if this is the same sound you guys are referring to but I am having a hard time chalking this one up to sloshing gas. I started a thread called "thump on break release" cause that's when I feel-just as I let my foot off the break. Chk this out see what you think?

Well I heard this sound the same day I picked up the car but I thought that it was something from the road that had hit the bottom of the car. It took me a few weeks of driving before I learned how to reproduce voluntarily rather than accidently. It is a thump that comes right after u take your foot of of the brake, lets say you are slowing for a light or something. You step on the break to slow down then release-thump that is felt and heard. I have felt this at speeds up to 30-40mph, but most time it happens as I'm coming to a stop. Took it to the dealer for a road test with tech. He heard and felt it, he then made endless inspections/re torquing of the suspension, breaks. drive shaft but to no avail. We then got the keys to the owner of the dealerships' Pilot to see if the problem would show up in his, and sure enough by then I was so good at finding this thump that the owners Pilot with 15000miles made this thump almost without trying. But they still aren't willing to say that it's a problem. They r willing for me to show this to the factory rep that is expected early next month. Anyone else ever heard/felt this sound, and it is not gas sloshing in tank unless there is something heavy sloshing around in there with the gas. Try it for yourself-drive at 5-20mph step on the break-not neccesarily too hard-then release-you'll feel it even more noticeable on a slight decent.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Yep, I've heard it. It can sound like a shifting suspension component or brake caliper. But, on sober reflection, to me it's clearly the fuel.

A dealer in the area recently sent out a newsletter that attributed the phenomenon to the relatively long and skinny tank shape, said tank being oriented fore & aft longways. The sound is also heard in the Oddysey, according to this account.

Maybe they'll get some baffles in there at some point.

Regards,

Walt

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've occasionally heard the thump but have always thought as Ordinary Guy that it as the gas tank.

I'll pay more attention to the "brake" relationship issue when I hear it next time. :confused:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
The braking comes into play due to the inertia of the fuel. Let up on the brake and the fuel is now going faster than the car.

Thump!

Imagine one of those soothing desktop wave machines. What will cause the thump is the change in the first deriviative of the vehicle velocity. The fuel can even, in principle, surge mightily if you accelerate/decelerate in just the right sequence & with just the right magnitude. Kinda like carrying a brim-full cup of coffee without spilling it as you weave through the cubicles.

Regards,

Walt

Sage said:
I've occasionally heard the thump but have always thought as Ordinary Guy that it as the gas tank.

I'll pay more attention to the "brake" relationship issue when I hear it next time. :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ordinary_Guy said:
The braking comes into play due to the inertia of the fuel. Let up on the brake and the fuel is now going faster than the car.

Thump!

Imagine one of those soothing desktop wave machines. What will cause the thump is the change in the first deriviative of the vehicle velocity. The fuel can even, in principle, surge mightily if you accelerate/decelerate in just the right sequence & with just the right magnitude. Kinda like carrying a brim-full cup of coffee without spilling it as you weave through the cubicles.

Regards,

Walt

That makes sense. :4:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Whew! I wasn't quite sure I understood it!

Thanks.

Regards,

Walt

Sage said:

That makes sense. :4:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also hear the noise coming from the gas tank! It is very annoying and should be somehow fixed by Honda.

Hopefully enough of us will complain to get somthing done about this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i heard it today!:3: tank is half full (or half empty) lol. I was backing up a kind of steep driveway. it kind of goes thump, thump right?:confused:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Yup!

Regards,

Walt

sagepearl said:
i heard it today!:3: tank is half full (or half empty) lol. I was backing up a kind of steep driveway. it kind of goes thump, thump right?:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts