Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my wife has a 2017 EX-L. About a year ago my son and I were driving around our town selling raffle tickets. A lot of starting and stopping with the car running for several hours as I stayed in the car while he went to doors. Towards the end of the night I started to smell gas inside the car. We took it to the dealership thinking it might have a leak but they didn't find anything. Today I had to wait in the car for about 45 minutes for my son to get out of basketball practice. I had the car running and after about 30 minutes started smelling gas inside again. My son even got in and asked what that smell was. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you had the fans running taking in outside air that is no surprise you smelled exhaust fumes inside the cabin. Even in recirculating mode the Pilot isn’t completely airtight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've done a lot of idling in the Pilot and have never smelled gas or exhaust fumes - even with the windows cracked.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The odor of raw gasoline vs exhaust fumes is completely different. If there is an underhood leak, pop the hood open, preferably in a garage where there is no wind, and see if it's stronger. If it's not in the engine bay, then most likely the evap emissions plumbing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the coach does not like parents watching practice? Thank your smart ass reply.

·
Super Moderator
15,213 Posts
If you had the fans running taking in outside air that is no surprise you smelled exhaust fumes inside the cabin. Even in recirculating mode the Pilot isn’t completely airtight.
Exactly. Plus the vent to exhaust (!) air from the cabin is right behind the bumper cover.. given enough time and other cars idling, smells are bound to seep in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are other threads here and ridgeline forums about gas smell. I think CRV also and they had some TSB's regarding the PCV hose and gas smell coming through it. They described if you pop hood, stronger on right side of motor and puts it right by the intake vent at cowl.

I had some exhaust smell which is definitely different but I need to get under the truck to check. I think the FluidFilm coating might be causing the flaps to either stick a bit or swell slightly. New vent is $10. I might order one to see how it goes in and possibly change it after inspection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts