Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the gas pedal stick in the idle position? Happens on startup in the morning.

The pedal could not be depressed unless a lot of pressure was put on it. It seems to be intermittent. Then it seems to work OK.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
lamuncha said:
Has anyone had the gas pedal stick in the idle position? Happens on startup in the morning.

no...never...:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hit the obvious first.........(forgive me! ) Is the floormat out of the way?

How many miles on the Pilot? Is the pedal itself sticking? It may be a carbon build-up in the throttle body, causing the butterfly to stick a little on first application? Winter-blend fuels can cause an increase in carbon build-up, but I wouldn't expect to see an issue so early.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This used to happen to me with my 01 Accord, although I wouldn't say it took "a lot" of pressure to unstick the gas pedal. It would stick every time the car sat for more than a few hours. The dealer fixed it about 6 months ago at the 30,000 mile service, and it hasn't stuck since. I'm sorry I can't tell you specifically what they did to fix it.

-Eric

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had some problems with the pedal sticking this winter. It only happened when it was really cold and and snowy so I assumed it was frozen. It doesn't stick anymore (knock on wood).
I had a Mountaineer V8 before the Pilot and the carbon buildup was so bad I had to clean it out every 10 to 15K miles. It would stick every time you stepped on the pedal.

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
One time, at band camp...

My motor mount broke on my 69 Ford Fairlane. When I'd accelerate, the engine would lurch out and the throttle would sometimes get stuck in the wide open position. Kinda gave you dirty shorts after a while.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stuck pedal

I hope it isn't carbon. I've got about 12,000 miles. I'm not sure the fuel injection system uses those butterfly valves, but I wouldn't think this engine would carbon up on me, but possible. Gas milage seems ok
It's happening in warm, well 50 -60 degree weather. It just won't push down without a lot of pressure, then breaks free.

AND NO I CANNOT RULE OUT THOSE NASTY RODENTS. GD THINGS NEARLY RUINED THE CAR.

I can't totally blame Honda for the rodents 'cause I had to dig one out of the fan in the Explorer (rotary type fan). After I centrifuged it on high speed :).

I'm guessing it's in the cable/cable jacket and naturally I won't be able to reproduce it at the dealer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lamuncha, I've got almost 18K on my Pilot and other than the sticking I mentioned before, it seems fine for now.
I thought the sticking throttle on my Mountaineer was a sticking cable or linkage as well (I'm not saying yours isn't).
If it is carbon buildup it's pretty easy to fix (it's in the throttle body not the engine). Disconnect the air intake hose to the throttle body (from the air cleaner) and look or feel where the butterfly valve is for a rim at the edge where the valve almost meets the valve body (open and close the valve manually). If there is a ridge, use carb / fuel injector cleaner on a rag to clean it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stuck Gas Pedal

If you ever had your battery disconnected, the problem might be related to this disconnection. There is an idle position learning procedure that must be performed when the battery is reconnected. It is a simple process of holding the revs at 3000RPM (or 3500RPM?) for a fixed time, and factoring in the time that the fan comes on in that period, etc. Check with the dealer to have the procedure done.

I read about it in the instructions for installing the day/night mirror.

Please advise if your battery has ever been disconnected.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Couple of Times

A couple of times this past winter. Good "thump" resolved the issue each time. There have been a couple of other posts on this also in past year.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gas pedal

No the battery hasn't been disconnected. I'm thinking it's some sort of mechanical thing that gets stuck. I understand the idle learning thing, it's on most cars and related to the emission stuff.

This thing just won't go unless you really give the pedal a hard shove then it breaks free. It was wet out if that makes a difference.

I sprayed some lithium grease on the spring things around the top of the engine. As usual, I thought about it after I did it I and realized it was a mistake. All that will do is attract dust and sand and really screw things up. Now I have to take all that stuff off and clean around the throttle linkage.

Are there conventional butterfly things in there?
It is an around town car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lamuncha,

Make your Dealer do all that work. That is what the warranty is for. If they were'nt any help the first time, do you have another dealer in the area? Or is there another Service Advisor you could go to?

I consider myself mildly mechanically inclined and like to do alot on my own, but a situation like this just begs for the Dealer to have to jump through hoops to solve the issue.

I sure hope someone out there can help you!

mrc_1416

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lamuncha,

I agree with MrC1416, , Let the dealer worry about it, it's there job and they should do it right.... hopefully. Good Luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have that struck gas pedal when the engine cools down and when it's cold, and it's geeting worse. The truck is parked outdoors in San Francisco. I noticed this problem when I had 7000 miles, and it's worse now at 10,500 miles. I'm taking it to the dealer this week to have it check/clean?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts