Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my fifth or sixth tank. My Pilot probably has an even mix of highway to around town driving. I have logged as low as 13.5 mpg to 19.7 mpg (that would be a 235 mile trip to dad's with around town driving till empty). Last night's fill up averaged, for the second time, 15.5 mpg. Also worth mentioning, I keep the Pilot dialed to 70-72 degrees. What is everyone seeing out there. I have seen some mention here and there. I figured I would like to know where other Pilot owners are on miles per gallon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
13.5 mpg

13.5 mpg??

Way off the EPA rating for the car. You should at least get 17 for in town driving and 22 for highway driving.

I'm getting about 18mpg on my first tank. A combination of in town and highway drive.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just got back from a 280mi trip, averaged 20mpg. I would estimate just a little above 20mpg if you took took out the city driving and extreme winds, drove through 2 haboobs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Threadhead said:
Just got back from a 280mi trip, averaged 20mpg. I would estimate just a little above 20mpg if you took took out the city driving and extreme winds, drove through 2 haboobs.
ha·boob Pronunciation Key (h-bb)
n.
A penetrating sandstorm or dust storm with violent winds, occurring chiefly in Arabia, North Africa, and India.

And Arizona!

I'm glad I woke up this morning and learned something new! :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had just under 19 MPG on my FIRST tank, but I have almost entirely freeway miles to and from work. I have also never seen it drop below 17 MPG, as of yet!! :29:

·
Registered
340 Posts
SoapPlant said:
And Arizona!
Pretty common here in southern AZ. Almost like driving through fog with extreme wind. Feels like it's going to blow you off the road, tumbleweeds blowing accross the hiway, the whole deal.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sounds like there are some lead-foot Pilot owners enjoying those 240 horses a little too much... :2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
:27: Ya...Stop playing with those laughing gas and you may archiving EPA 17mpg. :21:

Seriously, if you take the pilot off road, you will get a lower mpg. If you activiting or :9: up the VTEC very frequently, you also get a lower mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've posted before. I'm now on my 5th tank, not quite at 1000 miles, and i'm getting a jaw breaking 13 mpg ( improved from 12 mpg on last tank) on my Pilot. All city traffic, even keeping the a/c off....it's just rotten. I'm lucky to get a 220 mile range in my vehicle ( without running out of gas).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just returned from a 600 mile trip on I-95 and was getting around 22mpg averaging 73mph. Ohhh yea...didn't see one single Pilot during my trip, but did get a lot of looks from folks.

Have been getting almost 18mpg with in town driving and almost 20mpg mixed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Jim90068, you should bring the car back to the dealer and have the dealer to check it out. 12/13 mpg is way off the standard.

I will rather drive a lincoln navigator or cadillac escalate if I wish to get 12/13 mpg SUV.

:(

·
Registered
152 Posts
23.4 mpg on my way to and from MN's beautiful North Shore...

·
Registered
18 Posts
To the owners that are getting below EPA ratings,

Are you trying different brands of fuel. I notice that with my Integra it can vary 4 or 5 mpg with some brands.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Also what is your tire pressure? That might explain some differences too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
EGP said:
To the owners that are getting below EPA ratings,

Are you trying different brands of fuel. I notice that with my Integra it can vary 4 or 5 mpg with some brands.
Can you tell us the brands that give you better mileage and the ones that give you the worse.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is something wrong if you are not getting at least 17 - 18 mpg in city driving. I have averaged 20.5 in all around driving and 23- 24 in strictly highway driving. Both with a/c on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If your getting 13 mpg I would check to make sure you really had a Pilot. My Mountaineer got 14.5 combined.

But seriously, I've got over 3000 miles and have been averaging 18.3 combined (I'm heavy on the gas too). City is about 16.5 Highway is over 20 using regular no-lead, I keep AC at 68.

I would get it checked soon, I had a truck that had an emergency brake cable that was misadjusted from new it ruined my rear brakes. I was getting terrible mileage and could smell something burning. They did replace them under warranty though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
rlhudson99 said:
There is something wrong if you are not getting at least 17 - 18 mpg in city driving. I have averaged 20.5 in all around driving and 23- 24 in strictly highway driving. Both with a/c on.
What highways speeds do you typically drive are you using the cruise control and what brand of gas and octane are you using?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
jfrano - Gas Mileage

I usually buy Mobil 87 octane. Most of my driving is on the freeway with speeds anywhere between 50 - 80. The pilot has 3,800 miles and I have always gotten 20 mpg or better.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts