Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit that I am babying the Pilot a bit as I complete the 500 mi. break-in period, but I am averaging 21.5 mpg through 2 tanks of fill-ups so far.

Your experience?
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
I haven't gone anywhere long distance yet. I have only 200 miles so far and my Pilot hasn't seen a gas station so far - at least not with me. The first tank was from the dealer and he delivered it to me at my house - 115 miles.

Will find out mileage after I fill'er up at the next gas-station trip.

21.5 sounds pretty good though. all high-way driving or a mix of city and hwy ?

pjl56 said:
I admit that I am babying the Pilot a bit as I complete the 500 mi. break-in period, but I am averaging 21.5 mpg through 2 tanks of fill-ups so far.

Your experience?
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
stop and go mileage: 17.3mpg

I noticed that the low fuel warning light worked well this morning. Here in SoCal, even highway traffic is still stop and go during rush hour. The first tank of fuel yielded 330 miles about 17.3mpg. I tried my best step easy on the gas during this break-in period. Never took it above 60MPH. Hope the second tank will give better mileage like yours. Cheers, JK:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Re: stop and go mileage: 17.3mpg

I am lazy. What's the break-in period ? 600 mi or 1000 mi ?

johnnyk said:
I noticed that the low fuel warning light worked well this morning. Here in SoCal, even highway traffic is still stop and go during rush hour. The first tank of fuel yielded 330 miles about 17.3mpg. I tried my best step easy on the gas during this break-in period. Never took it above 60MPH. Hope the second tank will give better mileage like yours. Cheers, JK:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
1500 miles break-in period

On the 97 CRV, and 91 Previa I did 1000 miles stop/go never above 60MPH before driving on freeway (above 60MPH). On 97 Lexus LS400, my wife put in 300 miles or so. The dealer told her that she shouldn't even bother with break-in on Lexus. On the Pilot, we will try to baby it to 1500 miles before racing it on CA freeway, chasing those X5 boats. Cheers, :cool: JK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Well remeber until the engine is broke in you will have variations in the mileage. I woudl say about 1500 miles you should see a steady rate on your mileage.
Later,
Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the thought occurred to me that I counted the miles already on the odometer, when in reality the gas may have been topped off when it was prepped prior to my driving the Pilot off the lot. YMMV!

dntsne1 said:
Well remeber until the engine is broke in you will have variations in the mileage. I woudl say about 1500 miles you should see a steady rate on your mileage.
Later,
Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Got 21

I just did my first mileage test --refilled the tank and figured out that I averaged 21 miles per gallon (that was abou a half a tank interstate driving ... didn't go above 60 mph)... and half a tank's worth of in-city short hauls.)

I thought that was pretty good!

My Pilot (who turn 2 weeks tomorrow) now has 1200 miles on it. I have stopped babying and took it up to 75 mph briefly on the interstate yesterday. Sounded good.

I'll see what the next tank brings (this trip meter is handy, isn't it?) I also like the external temp read-out...

Diane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Temp. Read-Out

I've read elsewhere of folks complaining that the outside temp. read-out has been "off" by quite a bit (generally low). I haven't tracked this too close, but my experience has been that it's pretty accurate (I think).

Congrats on the 2-week Pilot birthday, Diane! ;)

TopMomm said:
I also like the external temp read-out...

Diane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Re: Temp. Read-Out

External temp read-out has been fairly accurate here in the Bay Area. I have seen it vary from 67 to 87 in the last week or so.

pjl56 said:
I've read elsewhere of folks complaining that the outside temp. read-out has been "off" by quite a bit (generally low). I haven't tracked this too close, but my experience has been that it's pretty accurate (I think).

Congrats on the 2-week Pilot birthday, Diane! ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Breakin miles

I have seen people posted from 500, 600, 1000 and 1500 miles. What is the recommend, if you will, for the breakin miles?

What is the technical reason for keep the speed up to 60 mph and not over druing the breakin period?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Breakin miles

The Pilot manual itself says 600.

nhantcao said:
I have seen people posted from 500, 600, 1000 and 1500 miles. What is the recommend, if you will, for the breakin miles?

What is the technical reason for keep the speed up to 60 mph and not over druing the breakin period?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Re: Re: Breakin miles

What happened to you pjl ? You actually checked the manual :D

Thanks for the 600 info though. I feel better that I don't have to worry keeping my speed in check for too long. Felt weird when everybody and their brother was overtaking here in SF. They must be thinking - what is this guy nuts - driving an SUV at or under 60 mph.

pjl56 said:
The Pilot manual itself says 600.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: Breakin miles

I think the "key" during the break-in period is being extra-gentle getting up to speed and not staying at one speed for too long (i.e., cruise at 60mph for 30 minutes at a time). With all the power under the hood, I took it up to 70mph within the first 600 miles and it barely seem to test the engine. At 70, I believe the rpm's were still ~ 2000. My Jeep would be spitting out >3000 revolutions at that speed.

03pilot said:
What happened to you pjl ? You actually checked the manual :D

Thanks for the 600 info though. I feel better that I don't have to worry keeping my speed in check for too long. Felt weird when everybody and their brother was overtaking here in SF. They must be thinking - what is this guy nuts - driving an SUV at or under 60 mph.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Mileage?

No idea what my mileage is yet. I've only filled my tank up once so far. But what a shock....I put in over $24. I'm used to $12-$14 for my Civic EX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
18.6 in city

OK, just did another mileage test. I'd gotten 21 mpg in a mix of interstate and city driving (half and half), but most latest tank averaged just 18.6. This was totally short drives around town -- so I'm happy. It's about what I was expecting/hoping for.

Am just over 1500 miles now....

Diane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
SOCAL Mileage

Using mine for commuting - 25 miles at 80 MPH; then 10 miles at 40 MPH each way (about 70 miles a day) gives me 19.8 MPG for my first 1000 miles. No big road trips yet, so mileage should be a little better then. Got about 24 for my CR-V for same commute.
Great accelleration and so quiet compared to the 99 CR-V I had last.

BTW, can't imagine anyone trying to stay at 60 on a CA freeway. Seems like we have either total clog and 5 MPH or bumper-to-bumper 80 MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Poor mileage

Got 14.9 on first two tankfuls, babying it through break-in in town. A tank lasted 3 to 4 days. I'm used to 21.3mpg in town and 7-10 days between fill-ups with my 93 Accord. This is a real shocker.
 
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Top