Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do ya’ll get for gas mileage? Working on some problems and trying to figure out about what I should be getting for mileage

I have an 08 pilot with 144k on it and I am only averaging like 12 in the city and 17 highway. The highway mileage seems about right, but the city mileage seems shitty especially considering I baby the thing and accelerate slowly on what are almost entirely flat roads. I’m in the midst of trying to diagnose a problem that occasionally causes errant (!) traction control activation on bumpy roads and always in city driving speeds (likely a mis-seated wheel sensor or some shit?). Was hoping to figure out what I should be getting.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
128 Posts
What do ya’ll get for gas mileage? Working on some problems and trying to figure out about what I should be getting for mileage

I have an 08 pilot with 144k on it and I am only averaging like 12 in the city and 17 highway. The highway mileage seems about right, but the city mileage seems shitty especially considering I baby the thing and accelerate slowly on what are almost entirely flat roads. I’m in the midst of trying to diagnose a problem that occasionally causes errant (!) traction control activation on bumpy roads and always in city driving speeds (likely a mis-seated wheel sensor or some shit?). Was hoping to figure out what I should be getting.
I get about the same 15 in the city but I use 93 but remember it’s AWD and it’s a heavier vehicle

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
62 Posts
I have put about 45K miles on my 2008 since I bought it used 4+ years ago. My overall average is 17.7, but I live in a rural area, so not much pure city driving. This spring it needed some work done and the mechanic ended up cleaning out the EGR passages as part of that work. This summer I have been getting a bit better MPG's than in previous years doing mostly the same kind of driving. Not a lot better, but noticeable. We have a getaway spot that I frequent in the summer that is just under two hours away, mostly by highway, and I've been able to get several tanks over 20MPG making that run.

Here's a link to my Fuelly mileage chart:
https://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/pilot/2008/cc102bob/754435/fuelchart

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happy to report I'm averaging 20-22mpg. I'm in a remote area in upper Michigan, I drive 94 miles per day. I'm in a campground and I leave daily to visit my mom in a nursing home it's probably 40 miles before I see a stop sign. Peg her at 57 mph (lots of wildlife crossing road!). Keep up on maintenance as best as my abilities allow...new plugs (the right ones) air filter, fluids of course. I had been averaging 18-21 in ND, I'm mostly a distance driver, highway there is 70-75 mph. I once got 28 mpg rolling northbound I35 north TX/OK. Thought my fuel gauge had fried. 35mph tailwind most beneficial!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think our 05 is rated 17 city 22 highway - last time I checked it over a tank it was about 18.5 with mixed driving (but that's a single datapoint, so lots of uncertainty) - were you getting better mileage and it has fallen off, or is this the first time taking a good look? 12 city seems pretty low unless you are driving it like you stole it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
12 does seem quite low for city, in my 2005 Pilot I get about 15 and I live in NYC where stop and go is pretty much every day here for me. I cannot compare for highway as I do not really use my Pilot for highway trips. My 2002 Pathfinder I previously owned was getting 10-12 MPG , so 15 is an improvement!

·
Registered
109 Posts

I once tried to see how good of mileage I could get. I topped off my tank so I got about 25 gallons of premium and then I drive mostly highway miles but fully loaded delivering lost luggage all over the state. I basically avoided the engine engaging Vtec by making it shift at or below 4,000 rpm and I managed to get 500 miles!
I use the best spark plugs and change them every 70,000 miles (so almost every year) I also use BG44K fuel treatment every 30,000 miles (about twice a year) and always run premium fuel and Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic with K&N oil Filter. The car does have a 3 inch diameter short ram intake

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have always averaged 17 mph local and highway. I, too, accelerate slowly and prepare to brake early. After 17 years, I have come to accept the poor mileage. Patty Pilot has been a trooper through dozens of trips to the dump, HD, Lowe's and been a great transporter of kids and dogs. I am glad my husband has a Fusion Hybrid for longer trips.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I average 21 on the highway and about 15-17 in town I think.
Same here. I got the valve adjusted,plugs and the timing belt service and it helped so much. recently I noticed performance was lagging so i popped the aair cleaner cap and dang it was dirty. 14K. I put an OEM on and it's back to normal. 237K. Mostly city/highway use.

·
Registered
76 Posts
15-18 mpg. Long trips used to average 21-22. 180k miles. Today, long trips are taken in a newer Outback we bought in '18, so I think Howard The Pilot is destined to low gas mileage. Good thing it only gets driven about 4k miles a year-

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I think that surfin bird hit it on the head. Put in a new air filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts