Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this doesnt really solve it more most... but it does for me..

well as you know, the pilot has 2 seperate air conditioning systems.. one for the front and one for the rear..

everytime the car is turned off then started again... the rear ac manual button is deactivated... 95% of the time there is no one in the rear of my car so there is no need for it to be on... I didnt notice that it turned itself off everytime...

anyways, the point is be sure to turn on the RR AC MANUAL button everytime... this boosted my gas mileage to about 20 mphs every tank...

sorry if this is a repost.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm not understanding this....In my car the AC for the back operates at the same temperature as the front via the climate control. If I turn on the button, then the kids can make the back colder, or hotter than the temperature I set in the front. But, I've never seen a way to actually turn off the system. My children would get MORE air if I pushed the rear button. If turned it on and turned their dial the 3 set points hotter, it would defeat any savings because the heat from the back would transfer to the front, forcing the AC to work harder.

Am I getting this wrong??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air is not pushed more/less one way or another..

there are two totally indedpendant HVAC systems....

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
my3kids said:
I'm not understanding this....In my car the AC for the back operates at the same temperature as the front via the climate control. If I turn on the button, then the kids can make the back colder, or hotter than the temperature I set in the front. But, I've never seen a way to actually turn off the system. My children would get MORE air if I pushed the rear button. If turned it on and turned their dial the 3 set points hotter, it would defeat any savings because the heat from the back would transfer to the front, forcing the AC to work harder.

On the rear A/C the straight up center position on the dial is marked OFF.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Looking at the manual, I am guessing that philthis is suggesting the following:

When the climate control system is set at full auto, the front and rear AC units can be activated if conditioned air needs to be added to the outside air.

The rear AC unit can be turned OFF by enabling the rear seat passenger's control of the rear AC as follows:

(1) press the rear AC button on the climate control unit.

(2) the rear AC passenger control dial should be straight up (neither cooling nor heating).

I think the best way to kill the rear AC is to kill all the AC, namely press the AC button so that control screen reads A/C off.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
my3kids said:

Once you give rear passengers control by turning on the rear A/C button, putting the dial in the off position turns it off and kills the air flow to the rear only, as I just confirmed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Pressing the "RR A/C Manual button does allow the rear passenger to select a temperture hotter or colder than the front (or select "off"), but there is not two HVAC systems. The rear system doesn't even have a separate forced air fan.

The air flow through the rear vents is controlled by the fan speed in the front. The vent selection in the rear always match the vent selection in use in the front.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
tim.s said:
Pressing the "RR A/C Manual button does allow the rear passenger to select a temperture hotter or colder than the front (or select "off"), but there is not two HVAC systems. The rear system doesn't even have a separate forced air fan.

The air flow through the rear vents is controlled by the fan speed in the front. The vent selection in the rear always match the vent selection in use in the front.
The airflow STOPPED when I put it in the OFF position and took the picture shown above, after I pushed the dash button to give the rear control. Maybe your Pilot needs the rear A/C TSB done on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
philthis said:
ok, this doesnt really solve it more most... but it does for me..

well as you know, the pilot has 2 seperate air conditioning systems.. one for the front and one for the rear..
Not quite. There are 2 evaporators, 1 in front and one in the back. There is only one compressor, and that's what causes the gas mileage decrease. As long as the A/C compressor cycles, you'll be burning a bit more gas. The contribution from the rear evaporator is not that major a factor in cycling frequency of the compressor. The fan does contribute a tiny bit by causing the alternator to run a mite harder, but it's < 10 amps at low speed, so the drag is negligible.

every time the car is turned off then started again... the rear ac manual button is deactivated... 95% of the time there is no one in the rear of my car so there is no need for it to be on... I didnt notice that it turned itself off every time...

anyways, the point is be sure to turn on the RR AC MANUAL button every time... this boosted my gas mileage to about 20 mphs every tank...

sorry if this is a repost.
I would doubt more than a 'placebo and fall weather' impact on fuel consumption; the lower air temps do improve the A/C efficiency by improving the temp drop across condenser, and the compressor may cycle a bit less, but whether only one of the fans is running, or both are running isn't going to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
jay said:
The airflow STOPPED when I put it in the OFF position and took the picture shown above, after I pushed the dash button to give the rear control. Maybe your Pilot needs the rear A/C TSB done on it.
Nope, mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this was posted by MKELL on the "did you know" thread..

2003 Honda Pilot
The Ultimate Family Adventure Vehicle
INTRODUCTION

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Pilot engineers targeted best-in-class heating and cooling capability to provide maximum comfort and safety for all occupants. In addition to the primary HVAC system, the Pilot utilizes a second heater, fan motor and evaporator unit packaged in the vehicle’s centre console. Separate heat and air conditioning vents along with temperature and fan speed controls in the rear portion of the centre console provide rear seat occupants with improved heating and cooling performance and control. With the automatic climate control engaged, the system links the front and rear HVAC systems for improved performance, yet can be separated by the “RR A/C Manual” button diverting environmental controls to the rear HVAC unit. Testing indicates a 17-percent reduction in cool down time when the two systems are linked.

and whoever said it might be the fall weather... you might have a point... i'm not taking any placebo though.. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I tried that a few months ago and did it for a month. I posted somewhere on here, but can't find it right now. I did not have any increase in MPG by shutting off the rear A/C. I was hoping that I could save some MPG that way, as I usually drive by myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts