Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Pilot, had issues with catalytic converter on firewall side. Had it replaced. No check engine lights. Runs and drives fine. However, I use nearly half a tank of gas to drive 60 miles!! 65mph constant. Could the in-line cat be clogged? What would cause this?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
2006 Pilot, had issues with catalytic converter on firewall side. Had it replaced. No check engine lights. Runs and drives fine. However, I use nearly half a tank of gas to drive 60 miles!! 65mph constant. Could the in-line cat be clogged? What would cause this?
well for starters ..how many miles on your ride ? Have you changed / replaced anything yet? if so kindly list what you have done so far .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well for starters ..how many miles on your ride ? Have you changed / replaced anything yet? if so kindly list what you have done so far .
196k miles. Replaced at 120k: radiator, timing chain, serpentine belt, rear main seal, spark plugs, shocks, rack and pinion, tie rods, upstream o2 at radiator. Replaced at 194k: alternator, ac compressor, cat at firewall, o2 sensors for that cat.

Cat was failing for 2 years before replacing. Have replaced rubber boot from air box to throttle body three times. Keeps splitting at throttle body.

Was hoping replacing cat would fix low mpg. It did not.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Any diagnostic trouble codes being reported?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Disconcerting is the air hose replacements. Means something is going on, as those should longer than a few years. I wonder if you are running hot. If that is the case, your exhaust valves are getting baked and clearance is growing at the valve seats. No codes are thrown for poor compression. So get a compression and leakdown test, I bet you have poor results. That would have caused the cat to fail too, as they can't handle all that unburnt fuel. Is your exhaust pipe really sooty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Air intake always tore at the TB clamp.

It doesn't run hot according to the temp gauge, but it did get hot enough to ruin the paint on the hood. If it is the exhaust valves, what type of repair would be in order? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get it fixed or sell the thing and get something else.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The temp gauge is way too approximate to trust. You should read the temperatures with an OBDII scanner if your engine is so hot that it baked the paint. You are certainly overheating.

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
Disconcerting is the air hose replacements. Means something is going on, as those should longer than a few years. I wonder if you are running hot. If that is the case, your exhaust valves are getting baked and clearance is growing at the valve seats. No codes are thrown for poor compression. So get a compression and leakdown test, I bet you have poor results. That would have caused the cat to fail too, as they can't handle all that unburnt fuel. Is your exhaust pipe really sooty?

Lots of great info here.

Clogged cats can cause major overheating in the affected cylinders resulting in damage-or it did to a buddy's Ford.
Compression test and looking at the plugs will tell you a lot about the engine's condition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok, overheating, extremely poor fuel economy, but no codes!
the temp gauge reads water temp, not your block temp so yes you can be running hot in one spot and not be shown on the gauge as too hot.

the burnt paint and intake hoses are symptoms of your head getting way too hot. if you have been driving this for a while, your head gasket is surely toast. hence low compression and terrible fuel consumption and still no codes.

possibilities:

blocked coolant passage.
kinked coolant/throttlebody hose.
blown/cooked head gasket
failed waterpump

some harsh reality here, an old pilot with an overheated engine is not worth much. add in the damaged hood, and it gets lower in value.

to make this roadworthy again:
find what failed or is clogged
plus

change both head gaskets
coolant and all hoses changed.
change all the vacuum hoses under hood.
you will still need to chase down bad wires (they get brittle too)
maybe change power steering hoses and ac hoses.
a lot depends on how cooked it all got.

my .02, while you have done lots, and it was a good effort, its time to move on. unless you do all the work yourself, the diagnostics and repairs will certainly exceed the cars value. if you do all the work yourself this will never be a car in which you have confidence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I took it to a local mechanic. He scoped it and ran a diagnostic. The split air tube to the TB was causing a surplus of air to run through the engine. The computer was forcing the injectors to dump in more gas to compensate. Air tube replaced. Everything seems to be working well again. I have driven 70 miles so far after filling up the tank and the gas needle has barely moved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts