Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Honda Pilot (160,000 miles) has the O2 code coming on occasionally and then goes away. This has been happening for about 3 months.

The odd thing is that I noticed that my gas mileage has gotten a lot better! I was only getting about 13 mpg for the past few years and now all of a sudden I am getting about 15 mpg for the last month. My driving habits are the same. I am driving about 7,000 miles per year and generally no more than ten city miles at a time. (I actually go by mileage was going about 235 miles on a tank of gas and now I am going about 275miles).

How is this possible? Does it make sense?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My 2006 Honda Pilot (160,000 miles) has the O2 code coming on occasionally and then goes away. This has been happening for about 3 months.

The odd thing is that I noticed that my gas mileage has gotten a lot better! I was only getting about 13 mpg for the past few years and now all of a sudden I am getting about 15 mpg for the last month. My driving habits are the same. I am driving about 7,000 miles per year and generally no more than ten city miles at a time. (I actually go by mileage was going about 235 miles on a tank of gas and now I am going about 275miles).

Maybe a stuck pcv or egr valve let loose....? Or you lost a lot of weight. Check to see if your spare tire is still back there.... I mean your car's spare tire.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

Hi Marty,
First of all- I doubt you're really reaching normal operating temps if you only go 10 miles max.
Where do you live? Must be nice LOL

Actually, if you divide the miles driven after your last fill up, divided by the gallons used since your last fill up- that's about as accurate as we can get with mpg. It's still not perfect though, if one time you use the auto clicker on the pump handle, and one time you 'top it off' - that will change it slightly.
The O2 sensor being off can affect the air/fuel ratio, and gas consumption though.

It's not accurate to use the 'tank of gas' thing- unless of course you are running out of gas all the way, on every tank.
Miles driven since the last fill up- reset a trip meter when you fill up.
Drive some- the closer to E, the more accurate.
Fill up again.
Divide the total miles since the last fill up by the gallons - like 17.4 as an example, - then you have an accurate MPG- more accurate than the one on the dash if you have one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
For mileage, use the trip odometer and try to use the exact pump each time you refill the tank and stop filling when the pump stops. Divide the gallons into your trip odometer reading. There will always be a discrepancy, but the more readings you get the more accurate the results.

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 4 of 4 Posts