Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone really getting 17mpg in the city. I do the best I can to coast to stop signs & red lights. I start so slow everyone passes me and gives me dirty looks. I still get on 12 1/2 miles to the gallon.
I notice that when I step on the gas pedal the engine seems to rev a lot faster then my accura getting up to speed. . Another difference is when I take my foot off the gas pedal it does not slow down right away. I try to coast to a stop sign a half block away, but always have to hit the break. Let me know if anyone is doing anything special to get better milage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pilotgal said:
Is anyone really getting 17mpg in the city. I do the best I can to coast to stop signs & red lights. I start so slow everyone passes me and gives me dirty looks. I still get on 12 1/2 miles to the gallon.
I notice that when I step on the gas pedal the engine seems to rev a lot faster then my accura getting up to speed. . Another difference is when I take my foot off the gas pedal it does not slow down right away. I try to coast to a stop sign a half block away, but always have to hit the break. Let me know if anyone is doing anything special to get better milage.
i always fill up when the warning indicator light lights up and find if only highway driving i get over 300 miles per tankful and if only city driving it goes down to less than 250 per.i also went from a small bmw to the pilot and noticed it took getting used to to stay a bit more behind cars and i had to use my brakes more to avoid hitting their rears.think the weight and size of the pilot gives it added momentum and makes it necessary to stay back more to avoid always hitting the brakes too much. also have to be quick on the accelerator when stopped on an uphill as it rolls backwards when the brake is released.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gas Milege

I thought that I was getting around 12mpg, but it turned out that the Pilot has la smaller tank than the specifications say. I can put in 17 gallons when the light first turns on. I usually have about 300 miles, and I do mostly street driving. I end up averageing about 17.8 mpg with my driving. I originally thought that the tank was 20 gallons, so I was doing the math wrong.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
beowulf777 said:
I live in Atlanta - all stop and go. I usually get between 16 to 18 mpg on every tank of gas.
Same here in metro D.C.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
How many miles?

Pilotgal, you didn't mention how many miles are on your Pilot. Sometimes it takes at least 3-5K miles before you start seeing any increase as the engine (and other components) get broke in. Also, check your tire pressures (COLD). While 30-32 my provide a real cushy ride, it will not yield the best mileage. I run 36-38 in mine and am very happy with the ride and mileage.

YMMV

Good luck!
:)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Gas Milege

snakeboy82 said:
I thought that I was getting around 12mpg, but it turned out that the Pilot has la smaller tank than the specifications say. I can put in 17 gallons when the light first turns on. I usually have about 300 miles, and I do mostly street driving. I end up averageing about 17.8 mpg with my driving. I originally thought that the tank was 20 gallons, so I was doing the math wrong.
snakeboy82: I'm confused... How are you doing your math calculations for the gas mileage? What difference does the tank size have to do with the calculations? :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
milage

The dealer told me that when the light comes on there are two gallons left in the tank. Which is right because I usually fill up about that time, and it takes about 17 gallons. The gas take is suppose to hold 19.2 gallons
I only have 900 miles on my pilot now, so maybe my milage will get better. I sure hope so.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: milage

Pilotgal said:
The dealer told me that when the light comes on there are two gallons left in the tank. Which is right because I usually fill up about that time, and it takes about 17 gallons. The gas take is suppose to hold 19.2 gallons
I only have 900 miles on my pilot now, so maybe my milage will get better. I sure hope so.
On the average (since there is variability between cars) the light will come on when there are 2 galons left till the "E" mark on the guage.
At the "E" mark there will be between 1 and 1 1/2 gallons left in the tank.

Hard starts, stops, corners and hills can make the light come on earlier.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: milage

N_Jay said:
On the average (since there is variability between cars) the light will come on when there are 2 galons left till the "E" mark on the guage.
At the "E" mark there will be between 1 and 1 1/2 gallons left in the tank.

Hard starts, stops, corners and hills can make the light come on earlier.
A guy at work told me its not a good idea to let the gas gauge get that low because it allows condensation to build up causing trouble.

Does anybody know anything about that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Re: Gas Milege

kemosabe said:
snakeboy82: I'm confused... How are you doing your math calculations for the gas mileage? What difference does the tank size have to do with the calculations? :confused:
I orginally divided my 300 miles per tank by 20, because I thought that the tank was 20 gallons. But when I realized that I was only filling up 17 gallons when the gas light went on I divided 300 by 17, and viola, ~17.5 mpg

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: milage

florida_guy said:
A guy at work told me its not a good idea to let the gas gauge get that low because it allows condensation to build up causing trouble.

Used to be true in the days of steel gas thans that were open vented.
I would not worry about it too much.
There is also a common belief that running you tank low caused burnt out gas pumps. As for as I know, with input froma Bosche engineer, this is also not true.
There is also a feeling that you will pick up the water and dirt in he bottom of the tank. This has been disproven.

It seems a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to convince others not to let their gas get too low. Go Figure? Maybe they don't have enough real things to worry about in their lives?
:2: :2:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: milage

florida_guy said:

IMO, in cold climates it is still important to not let your fuel tank get that low. This was discussed a bit here. Where you are at, I would never even give it a second thought.

YMMV

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Gas Milege

snakeboy82 said:
I orginally divided my 300 miles per tank by 20, because I thought that the tank was 20 gallons. But when I realized that I was only filling up 17 gallons when the gas light went on I divided 300 by 17, and viola, ~17.5 mpg
Hmmm... Okay, thanks for the update. I just usually reset the trip "A" meter and divide that total final number (say, 300 miles) at the next fill up by the number of gallons I pump in according to the gas pump readout (say, 16.345 gallons)... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my Pilot (EXL-Nav) a month ago and have a little over 1000 miles on it. I have averaged 14.7 mpg with a high of 16.1 and a low 0f 12.9 per fillup. Live in Texas so constant A/C, almost all city driving, with nothing done to save gas. In fact a lot of idling while waiting. Usually overdrive will let you coast for quite a while so it would be very normal to not slow to a stop by coasting, unless on a hill. I have noticed that the Pilot overdrive seems to be questionable. Maybe caused by the AWD but there is a definite difference between coasting in drive and neutral. Drive seems to result in some engine drag. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
altalk said:
Got my Pilot (EXL-Nav) a month ago and have a little over 1000 miles on it. I have averaged 14.7 mpg with a high of 16.1 and a low 0f 12.9 per fillup. Live in Texas so constant A/C, almost all city driving, with nothing done to save gas. In fact a lot of idling while waiting. Usually overdrive will let you coast for quite a while so it would be very normal to not slow to a stop by coasting, unless on a hill. I have noticed that the Pilot overdrive seems to be questionable. Maybe caused by the AWD but there is a definite difference between coasting in drive and neutral. Drive seems to result in some engine drag. Anyone else notice this?
Two Things altalk
1. What do you mean by overdrive? Are you talking about the AWD system, because using that all the time will ruin the system. The manual states that it should only be used when you are stuck.
2. What do you mean by engine drag?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Pilotgal, my Pilot took full 15,000KM (9,300miles) before I started seeing the kind of MPG Honda was claiming for the car. Before that, it was just horrible, getting only about 13-14MPG. Now, I'm getting right around 18MPG. So, may be give it some time. Hopefully, yours won't take as long as mine did before the MPG comes down, but until a car's fully broken in, it's not gonna get the kind of MPG that it's supposed to get.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
snakeboy82 said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Are you talking about the AWD system, because using that all the time will ruin the system. The manual states that it should only be used when you are stuck.

[ S N I P P E D ]

The overdrive system can't be the AWD system: the AWD system will shut off after your exceed (roughly) a speed of 18 miles per hour... :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: milage

colorider said:
IMO, in cold climates it is still important to not let your fuel tank get that low. This was discussed a bit here. Where you are at, I would never even give it a second thought.

YMMV
That's funny because the guy who told me it said it was more of a problem in Florida because of the humidity than in other climates. :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: milage

florida_guy said:
That's funny because the guy who told me it said it was more of a problem in Florida because of the humidity than in other climates. :confused:
Well, maybe its not an issue, and therefore those who continue to say it is just have to keep coming up with more "proof".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts