Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had the tighten fuel cap warning and couldn’t get it to go away so I bought a new cap with the tether. When I swapped it out I broke the little attachment that goes on the door. Does anyone have a P/N for a replacement? Thanks In advance.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Hi, I had the tighten fuel cap warning and couldn’t get it to go away so I bought a new cap with the tether. When I swapped it out I broke the little attachment that goes on the door. Does anyone have a P/N for a replacement? Thanks In advance.
Nylon string?
I believe the cap and tether are all one part #.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m looking for the part that the tether end fits in that gets press fitted in the hole in the door

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
Like was posted earlier the tether and cap are all one piece.

How many times did you start/drive the vehicle after you tighten the cap? It takes a few starts before the warning clears. The system checks everything several time before it's satisfied the the problem is taken care of.

If you are talking about a part from the fuel door, I do believe your going to be buying a whole new door. You might check here to see for your year/model.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I think I'll go snap my tether off on purpose and use a piece of string to fix this issue, just so I can prove it can be done.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I think I'll go snap my tether off on purpose and use a piece of string to fix this issue, just so I can prove it can be done.
Thanks grandpa. Now you done gone and ruined a perfectly good vehicle just to prove you are still right every once in a while as an old man.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Thanks grandpa. Now you done gone and ruined a perfectly good vehicle just to prove you are still right every once in a while as an old man.
Well I may be getting up in age, but the ole noggin is spinning over this one. I'm just thinking about all the perfectly good gas caps that have been disposed of because of the tether. But ya, understandable if you have the gas cap code. Even then, I had the gas cap code on a Hyundai, I replaced the rubber O-ring instead of the whole cap and saved a few bucks.
👴👍

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
For me when I had the issue with the 2013 Pilot the fix was much simpler. Turn the cap until it clicks then turn it a full revolution or two more clicking all the way. Apparently the issue I had was just not getting the cap tight enough in the first place, even though it clicked. Took about 4-5 days for the warning to go away. Never had an issue after that though.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
You can keep turning and clicking it forever too. Once it clicks a few times- it's tight.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
You can keep turning and clicking it forever too. Once it clicks a few times- it's tight.
I thought that once you click it one time it should be closed. Got the advised to make an extra turn or two from the dealer and I never had the issue again. Hey if it works and I don't get the stupid loose gas cap warning I figure I only lost about 3 or 4 minutes of my life giving it an extra turn every time I filled up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's like an impact driver, each click progressively snugs the cap. Diminishing returns after 3.

A good DIY would figure out how to make a liberal glob of silicone adhesive or epoxy, or a 100watt soldering gun/plastic mangler, hold that tether in the door tab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts