Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2020 Pilot EX-L to my dealer because my Chrome strip above the grille and headlights was loose on one side and I had a real issue with a chrome strip not being fastened down. The dealer ordered a new piece and then replaced the chrome piece. After replacement, the chrome strip was very loose on both ends. I informed the dealership I was not happy with the situation and so the had me bring it in several times and finally got it a little bit tighter. They informed me it was a quality control issue and there was nothing else they could do with it. I checked the complete new car inventory at the dealership and some were very loose and some were quite tight. I have an issue because if you can tighten on side then what is the issue with tightening both sided. I also was not happy the people in the Service Department tried to make me feel if I was the problem for wanting my car fixed properly. I then contacted Honda and they give me a Case #. I was told someone would contact me in two working days to discuss my issue. After several weeks and me emailing them again I finally received a call but I was not home. I was asked to return the call which I did for a week before someone finally called me again. At that point, this lady informed me that Honda engineered and manufactured this car with the Chrome piece intentionally being loose. Needless to say I was not a very happy customer and I informed this lady. If this is how Honda has lowered their standards I am not sure what other things they have lowered their standards on as well. I am concerned if any other Pilot owners have experienced the same problem that I have tried to deal with. Thank you for your time.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

I am sorry you have having an issue with the trim piece on you new vehicle. Hopefully someone will have an idea for you on how you could possibly tighten it. Not that you should have too, but it sounds like Honda has no answers for the issue.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
813 Posts
What do you mean by loose? Are you talking about that little piece of chrome that overlaps on top of the headlight? A pic or video would be nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by loose? Are you talking about that little piece of chrome that overlaps on top of the headlight? A pic or video would be nice.
There is a large piece of plastic Chrome that goes completely above the grille and is fastened in the center but the ends are somehow attached to the headlight lenses I believe. both ends of this piece of Chrome are loose. Some cars are looser than others but I think Honda did a horrible job with this piece and failed miserably in securing it at the outside edge on both sides. I am attaching a picture of the complete piece and then I took a picture on both sides and place and arrow to show you where it is loose. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Hood Headlamp Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Grille Automotive design

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is a large piece of plastic Chrome that goes completely above the grille and is fastened in the center but the ends are somehow attached to the headlight lenses I believe. both ends of this piece of Chrome are loose. Some cars are looser than others but I think Honda did a horrible job with this piece and failed miserably in securing it at the outside edge on both sides. I am attaching a picture of the complete piece and then I took a picture on both sides and place and arrow to show you where it is loose. View attachment 140499 View attachment 140500 View attachment 140501
Does it go in a little bit when you push it? Mine has that issue on the passenger side, but I've noticed it isn't as bad as it was from when it was new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it go in a little bit when you push it? Mine has that issue on the passenger side, but I've noticed it isn't as bad as it was from when it was new.
When mine was new in March 2020 the drivers side was tight and the passengers side was quite loose. The dealership decided to replace the part and did so. After the replacement part was installed both sides were very loose and the service man said it was a quality control issue. After a total of 5 trips to the dealership both sides are tighter than they were, but are still both moving in and out some. My question to the dealership and to Honda was why are some of them on the new cars tight and some are loose. Do they have a part issue or is it how they attach it to the car. I am just surprised Honda has lowered its standards that much and put cars out the door in such a shoddy manner. I think people who purchase a $40,000 vehicle should at the least be able to expect the Chrome pieces to be firmly attached.

·
Registered
813 Posts
When mine was new in March 2020 the drivers side was tight and the passengers side was quite loose. The dealership decided to replace the part and did so. After the replacement part was installed both sides were very loose and the service man said it was a quality control issue. After a total of 5 trips to the dealership both sides are tighter than they were, but are still both moving in and out some. My question to the dealership and to Honda was why are some of them on the new cars tight and some are loose. Do they have a part issue or is it how they attach it to the car. I am just surprised Honda has lowered its standards that much and put cars out the door in such a shoddy manner. I think people who purchase a $40,000 vehicle should at the least be able to expect the Chrome pieces to be firmly attached.
I totally agree with that. I guess Honda was just expecting Pilot owners to treat the car as if it was an appliance and just drive instead of many of us who look at the details. I remember a while ago in the dealer parking lot there was a CR-V with this same issue but a little worse. Only thing I can think of is to tape that part of the grill on the headlight if it really bothers you. I just left it as is because it's not a huge issue, and it seems to be getting better with time as I said before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally agree with that. I guess Honda was just expecting Pilot owners to treat the car as if it was an appliance and just drive instead of many of us who look at the details. I remember a while ago in the dealer parking lot there was a CR-V with this same issue but a little worse. Only thing I can think of is to tape that part of the grill on the headlight if it really bothers you. I just left it as is because it's not a huge issue, and it seems to be getting better with time as I said before.
Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure what I will do. I think I will look and see what they have attaching it to the headlight and see if I can secure it a little better. This is my 4th Pilot since 2003 and I am quite disappointed that Honda does not have more concern for their customers and the products they manufacture. I left GM years ago for the same type of issue and I am prepared to leave Honda if I need to.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure what I will do. I think I will look and see what they have attaching it to the headlight and see if I can secure it a little better. This is my 4th Pilot since 2003 and I am quite disappointed that Honda does not have more concern for their customers and the products they manufacture. I left GM years ago for the same type of issue and I am prepared to leave Honda if I need to.
Sad days now that Honda is being compared with GM in terms of quality. The Pilot hopefully shouldn't be as bad as a GM car in the long run. As long as you take care of the car, it'll be trouble free. Hope you enjoy your Pilot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts