Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's on this site somewhere but my searches come up blank. A few weeks ago there were discussions on the new Garmin IQ 3600. What are the experiences with this new product if any?

·
Registered
407 Posts
4603pba said:
I know it's on this site somewhere but my searches come up blank. A few weeks ago there were discussions on the new Garmin IQ 3600. What are the experiences with this new product if any?
Hmmm? That's weird, I can't find it either. I tried to search for the thread, too. Anyways, you can find out a little info on the Garmin website....

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
A few people have played with it at trade shows but I've yet to see a detailed review. It is supposed to be available to the public soon.

The first places I would look for some good reviews would be www.brighthand.com and www.palminfocenter.com (not a Palm site but a site devoted to PDA (personal digital assistants) that use the Palm operating system (Garmin will have Palm OS5). Both sites have fora dedicated to this model so reviews posted elsewhere are likely to be "mentioned" there.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's a review of the iQue 3600 GPS/Palm combo in the NYT for those of you who are interested. Its generally very favourable :29:

NYT iQue Review

... still waiting for my unit...

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
There's a very detailed description of it's use, followed by Q&A over at pdastreet:

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22580

robrecht said:
The first places I would look for some good reviews would be www.brighthand.com and www.palminfocenter.com (not a Palm site but a site devoted to PDA (personal digital assistants) that use the Palm operating system (Garmin will have Palm OS5). Both sites have fora dedicated to this model so reviews posted elsewhere are likely to be "mentioned" there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I finally got my iQue 3600!

Finally, after a long wait, I got my iQue 3600 last night. :D

After charging it up, I've been playing with it today. So far, I've found the iQue to be great and here are some first day thoughts.

- The screen is bright and can be seen in the car in sunlight. The map details were crisp and sharp and refreshed very quickly.
- It auto-routes and the route recalculations should you go off-route were very quick. I quickly found directions to a near by airport and then to the office and the navigations were all spot on.
- The voice-prompts were a little soft, but that's without the auto-kit which has an additional speaker.
- I loaded up detailed maps onto the SD card and was amazed that it had the locations of a number of my favorite restaurants - plus a few that I didn't know about.
- I don't have the car-kit, so have to put it on the passenger seat - but even there, I have no problems acquiring satellites.
- Only downside for now is the weak battery life. However, that will be easily solved once I have the car-kit. :)

Will post pictures once I get the car kit and have it mounted on the Pilot!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome aboard ssaibal ! Glad you have joined. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
IQue 3600 vs. 2610

I'm very impressed with this unit also, based on the reviews only. But I'm also considering the Garmin 2610, which is due to be released mid of Sep. For one, I don't really need another PDA, and also, I always think a dedicated auto Nav. system will be more acurate/faster/reliable for its purpose. Anyone has any thoughts on that? Especially if you had used both the IQ 3600 and the old Street Pilot navigator. Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: IQue 3600 vs. 2610

newbie said:
I'm very impressed with this unit also, based on the reviews only. But I'm also considering the Garmin 2610, which is due to be released mid of Sep. For one, I don't really need another PDA, and also, I always think a dedicated auto Nav. system will be more acurate/faster/reliable for its purpose. Anyone has any thoughts on that? Especially if you had used both the IQ 3600 and the old Street Pilot navigator. Thanks.
But is the 2610 worth the extra cash? I have seen a neighborhood price of $780, It looks to me like you are paying more to get less ie. Palm Pilot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the definitive review of the Garmin IQ 3600. I was jazzed when I first got mine in December 2003. Then it started having about a dozen major problems, some which I've seen mentioned in other reviews, such as low battery life (20-40 minutes max, versus the two hours advertised!). It would even completely dump sometimes when you just picked it up, or touched it in your car. After a month I was so mad I almost returned it. After contacting Garmin (I had to wait ONE HOUR on hold on the IQ 3600 line, which means everyone else was having the same problems!!!).

The Garmin Rep told me all the problems, including the static electricity dump and reboot, were all software related (which didn't seem possible). He had me download a 5 MB patch from the internet (that's like open heart surgery for a PDA), do a hard erase and reboot (which the owner's manual says you will probably never have to do), and it's worked GREAT since. The reason the battery life was so low is that all the settings were set at MAX. The new software resets the settings at half (which is still sexy), and the battery life is now two hours (as advertised).

With the car kit (I have the one with the bean bag stand for the dash), you'll absolutely love this GPS!!!!! I've taken it to many major cities, and it gets me right to were I need to go. It even knows all the one-way streets. The bottom line is you'll love the IQ 3600 as long as you have software version 2!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts