Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you non-Navi Piloteers ever used this hand held GPS?

Amazon has them on sale, and it's tempting. I'm just not very familiar with the performance of these units. How detailed are the maps?

·
Registered
328 Posts
In the last couple of weeks, we just bought (thanks to Threadhead's introducing us to Geocaching! :D ) 2 GPS units. We were trying to find 1 Garmin which would be terrific in and out of the car. I had been drooling over everyone else's Navi on this site.

Well, we couldn't find one that did it all, and we looked REAL hard. We got the Street Pilot III Deluxe for driving. Either her pleasant voice tells you to turn left in 400 feet or it's very easy to see while driving. Then we got the Garmin GPSMap 76S. We were looking at the Legend, but this is a better unit al around. It's not so great while driving, but terrific for hiking. Go to Geocaching.com or the MDX.org site for info & good discussions on these for driving, hiking, what have you!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 2GreenCars! We'd use it for hiking and driving. When driving, my wife would me the one reading it and telling me where to go. .....Um, yeah!:)

·
Registered
747 Posts
a2pilot

There are something you want to consider.

1, not all gps has street map. Most basic models, at best, hold major US highways only. To store detail maps for large area, you need memory space. Street pilot III delux has 128M, pretty big but I don't think it will be good for hiking.

2, not all Gps Navi has voice turn by turn prompt. This happen to be most useful feature while driving.

3, you want to consider screen size, resolution

Base on these I searched, and ordered Garmin iQue 3600 PDA. 32MB built in, voice prompt, 360x480 color screen, very smart s/w and cost less than $500. This can also be used as hand hold, not sure about battery life though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
timchen said:
a2pilot

1, not all gps has street map. Most basic models, at best, hold major US highways only. To store detail maps for large area, you need memory space. Street pilot III delux has 128M, pretty big but I don't think it will be good for hiking.

2, not all Gps Navi has voice turn by turn prompt. This happen to be most useful feature while driving.

Base on these I searched, and ordered Garmin iQue 3600 PDA. 32MB built in, voice prompt, 360x480 color screen, very smart s/w and cost less than $500. This can also be used as hand hold, not sure about battery life though.

Where did you find the best price to order the iQue 3600? I've never owned a GPS but I think this is the one I will get.

·
Registered
72 Posts
eTrex Vista

I've have an Vista and it works fine in the Pilot. The limitation are that you have to anticipate the routes you will take, generate them on your computer at home (or where ever), and upload them into the gps unit. Oh, and you have to buy Mapsource software for the maps and routing capability.

As far as the navigation goes, it's visual. You can use the map view but it's sort of small and distracting, better to have a navigator handle it, or you can use the navigate view which is a big arrow that points the way to your next waypoint on your route. It's speed sensitive so the faster you go, the more lead time you get before your next turn. Of course you can skip the expensive software and just have it point to your destination, that's actually a really big help since it doesn't let you get turned around.

The downside with using route navigation is that if you go off course, you can really be out of luck. On the fly, this puppy only knows the direct path to your next point, but has no concept of streets (that's why you need to generate routes on your computer).

I've gotten really lost with my Vista, but always know within reasonable radius exactly where I was :)

The iQue, if and when it's released, will be able to think on the fly, yea! You'll still have to upload the basemaps into the unit, but you'll only have to do it occasionally (whenever you wander out of the city or two that should fit in its memory).

Good luck.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: $454

timchen said:

wow! you beat my price. I ordered mine at gpssignal.com

Now they are all pre-order, coming end of this month
Congrats on earning your fourth star for this your 200th message. :29:

·
Registered
429 Posts
FWIW Wal-Mart.com says 7/10/03. I have no idea if accurate in the slightest.
I really would like one to but I want something for my trip 1st part of July.:mad:

Matt:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
timchen said:
a2pilot

Definitely get the turn by turn prompting. Otherwise, a map is MUCH cheaper and pretty much as good! When we downloaded our mapsource city navigator onto our GPSMAP76S - it was pretty useless compared to how it was on the StreetPilot III. And it hogged up the memory.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love my eTrex, but not for driving...

...well not regular driving at least. I mostly got it for wardriving and mountain bike rides.

It is great unit. Accurate, compact, affordable, but NOT useful for driving directions. It is too much hassel to anticipate your route ahead of time.

The true Navigation systems are MUCH more expensive...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought some more paper maps..............:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
GPS navigation tells you how to get to you destination, turn by turn. It won't ask you turn into a wrong way against one way traffic (if your eMap is recent enough). This is very useful when driving in city. Paper maps can't do that. And most of time, when you need your map(Lost?), you have to spend like 3 minutes to figure out where you are and which direction you are heading. Of course, that won't be a problem if you are retired and have a lot of time to kill.

·
Registered
328 Posts
timchen said:
GPS navigation tells you how to get to you destination, turn by turn. It won't ask you turn into a wrong way against one way traffic (if your eMap is recent enough). This is very useful when driving in city. Paper maps can't do that.
Only some GPS will do this for you. In addition, I've heard that StreetPilot III sometimes sends you the wrong way down a one-way street. Haven't tried it yet. Our StreetPilot III is very patient with us but we still go "off-route" ALL the time!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

Only some GPS will do this for you. In addition, I've heard that StreetPilot III sometimes sends you the wrong way down a one-way street. Haven't tried it yet. Our StreetPilot III is very patient with us but we still go "off-route" ALL the time!
By "off-route", do you mean wrong way?

If you do go the wrong way, does the Streetpilot III get you back in the right direction?

·
Registered
328 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

By "off-route", do you mean wrong way?

If you do go the wrong way, does the Streetpilot III get you back in the right direction?
By off-route, I mean I frequently decide that "her route" is a silly one and I take a different street. I can only do this when I know my way around (basically we are just trying her out in town to get to know how she works). She is oh so patient and merely says "off-route. recalculating." She then tells us a new route which will get us to the destination we have requested. She never loses her temper with us and always finds a new route to wherever we're going.

We've not tried her downtown or in Phx to see if she sends us the wrong way down one-way streets.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Many GPS take one-way street into consider. However, it depends a lot on your eMap. If last year, your city decided to make a street one way street, chances are, your eMap doesn't have the information. eMap often are more than 3 years old (too bad).

But I know paper map doesn't mark one way traffic at all.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
timchen said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

But I know paper map doesn't mark one way traffic at all.
Not completely true... I had two maps, one of D.C. and one of New York City, and both of them showed the one-way streets and those detailed maps came in handy when I was driving in those two cities -- can't remember if I got both of them from my local AAA office or what...??? :8:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts