Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I did grocery shopping and got home. A few minutes later I see a big pool of dark oil oozes out under the car. It turns out the fumoto valve is half way open and the plastic clap is loose. I turned it off and filled in 5 quarts of oil.

Before I bought fumoto valve a year ago, I searched on internet and didn’t find any convincing case of valve opened unexpectedly. Well now I have one. I will switch back to the boring bolt.

Also, any one know how I can reset the oil meter to 100%? Edited: I think I know where the reset button is. I just somehow assume it only resets when a service is due.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had one of these valves on my Subaru for 10 years never had one issue. maybe something hit the valve on the road and caused it to open. even then i would be shocked, i raced my suby for yeas and never once had this issue. i have a 2017 pilot and from the looks of the under tray, i would not use the F valve, its too exposed IMO. the pilot does not have good under tray coverings, like my suby did, to protect the valve. i will keep the factory oil drain bolt on this car.

the oil reset is in the menu, under settings, then at the bottom , maintenance, then hit reset. at least that how i get to it in my 2017 pilot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had one of these valves on my Subaru for 10 years never had one issue. maybe something hit the valve on the road and caused it to open. even then i would be shocked, i raced my suby for yeas and never once had this issue. i have a 2017 pilot and from the looks of the under tray, i would not use the F valve, its too exposed IMO. the pilot does not have good under tray coverings, like my suby did, to protect the valve. i will keep the factory oil drain bolt on this car.

the oil reset is in the menu, under settings, then at the bottom , maintenance, then hit reset. at least that how i get to it in my 2017 pilot.

I was shocked as well. Yes I saw the reset button under maintenance reset but since it shows “No item” , I thought it means there’s no item to be reset. Maybe you are right. The reset button may reset the maintenance reminder before any service code show up. Btw, I saw your post about the messy oil change. See how messed can it really be....... IMG_1304.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC if you reset the MM early then it may prompt you to do other future services ahead of schedule. I'd leave it as is.

Thanks for the information. But the reminder thought the oil Change is due in 3000miles. Maybe I will do an early change when the light is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
what a mess, that sucks. that looks like my friends garage after jiffy lube forgot to put his oil drain plug back in after they changed it... :-(

·
Registered
34 Posts
A freak thing but no way would i ever run a fumoto on my vehicles..Period. Its not needed and just a waste of money for what..three minutes of time saved and a pair of $.20 rubber gloves every 5k miles.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A freak thing but no way would i ever run a fumoto on my vehicles..Period. Its not needed and just a waste of money for what..three minutes of time saved and a pair of $.20 rubber gloves every 5k miles.
Agreed ...

·
Registered
231 Posts
The point is not that.... The point is after about 70 oil changes, I promise your oil pan will strip. I plan to run this car over 300k miles.... that is the point, not the time savings.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i've had a fumoto on 4 cars total (rsx-s, cube, tsx, pilot), so far no issues with any. the rsx, tsx, and cube have no clip, the pilot one has the blue plastic clip. hoping to not have an issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The point is not that.... The point is after about 70 oil changes, I promise your oil pan will strip. I plan to run this car over 300k miles.... that is the point, not the time savings.
Ok. Wife and i only drive about 10 k per year on both our vehicles and iv been changing my own oil for 25 years and iv never stripped a pan and that is with 5 vehicles total.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i got to say, im +1 for the Fumoto valve. ive had them on other cars and it makes changing oil real easy. used them for years. never have to worry about crush washers, or stripping the pan. just put a catch container under the valve and open it up. easy oil drain. so cool. they never leaked on me and never once opened up by accident. great product....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok. Wife and i only drive about 10 k per year on both our vehicles and iv been changing my own oil for 25 years and iv never stripped a pan and that is with 5 vehicles total.
My Acura TL 2002 has 350k.... I am just saying I am in it for the long haul. If you do it right it won't open, no need to worry about torque etc. Its so well hidden it won't scrape off.... But to each their own.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I first got Fumoto on my Toyota Sequoia they had a spring "hose clamp" security option. I'm not sure the size but it rested in the opening when the lever was locked. I never ordered the plastic clip version to try. A pair of pliers was all that was needed to remove that clamp and it was definitely secure. Maybe ask about that option instead of plastic. I did the valve on both my cars for same reason of stripped plugs.

I had to get one of the oversized self tap versions for my son's '04 CRV he was gifted from father-in-law. Mostly dealer, some local mechanic oil changes until he got it. Pan was definitely getting stripped but it did have 220k at that point. Now it is gentle torque with new crush washer each time probably not as tight as it should be.

I just traded the Sequoia for a '19 EX-L so need to see what is under there. Does it need the adapter with the valve.

Was the leak with F106SX and does it swivel? How easy or hard if it does?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The F106SX does swivel but the recessed plug area doesn't let it swivel up high enough for me. You need to use the extension adapter to get it to mount a little higher up. Without the adapter looks to be an easy target for road debris to hit it.

However, I may be pulling these off my Pilot and Ridgeline. Got a Mityvac to suck the oil out. Just stick a plastic tube down the oil dip stick tube. Used it once so far, worked better than I expected. Virtually no oil drained out after the vacuum process. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_1/132-5883901-5971663?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002SR7TC&pd_rd_r=f1caa91c-e86d-11e8-ac33-170c9d662742&pd_rd_w=EUfAP&pd_rd_wg=LAvd4&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=6WPNBW91PCY29ACPVPJG&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6WPNBW91PCY29ACPVPJG

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't trust the vacuum process to pull out any suspended solids that have settled near the drain plug and flow out when the drain is opened.

I have installed the Fumoto on the Pilot and our Traverse and absolutely love the convenience of it. Honestly, my favorite part is how little mess exists now.

I check the vehicles for any signs of dripping every couple weeks when I check tire pressures, I've checked the clips each time and nothing has been loose.

I've showed my wife which lights on the dash are immediate pull over and shut the engine off lights, low oil pressure being one of them. There is enough residual in the engine (especially with a high quality oil's film strength) that I trust in the rare case the one of these valves opens and the oil drains out no damage will be done if pulled over as soon as the oil pressure light comes on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts