• DW-1

• Something Else

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a poll for this.
This poll is for 5 or 6-speed transmission owners.
If you can swear by the quality of another fluid, tell us what and why.
Be nice. Enjoy.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
You need to fix the poll so that it's possible to vote for DW-1 AND Something Else.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,403 Posts
A combination of over 800k miles on Honda vehicles with only DW-1 being used (and formerly whatever the older fluid was). Only one transmission failure and the vehicle had 225,000 miles on it and had NEVER had the fluid changed.

Sure Valvoline MaxLife is cheaper and easier to get, but I'm happy going to my dealer and spending a few extra dollars to maintain my transmission. We drive our cars hard in a lot of stop and go traffic. The fluid has been reasonably clean every time I've done a drain and fill. If I determine DW-1 is not doing an adequate job protecting my transmission, I would consider switching over. But I'm just not there yet.

It's great that there is an alternative to DW-1, and I'm sure if I used it in my 2 Pilots it would be fine, but again...I'm not interested in changing what seems to be working well.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to fix the poll so that it's possible to vote for DW-1 AND Something Else.
I don't want to scew the poll with ones who are not solidly for one ATF.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What if that Something Else isn't another ATF?
They can click something else and explain why they put whale oil in their transmission.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
They can click something else and explain why they put whale oil in their transmission.
The local Honda dealer performs a BG PXT2 Performance transmission fluid exchange using Honda DW-1 ATF, plus BG Quick Clean and BG ATC Plus transmission fluid conditioner.
Can't say if those products contain whale oil, or not.

BG PXT®2 Performance Exchange® for Transmissions | BG Products, Inc.
BG Quick Clean for Transmissions | BG Products, Inc.
BG ATC Plus® Automatic Transmission Conditioner | BG Products, Inc.

·
Registered
505 Posts
DW-1. The guy who replaced mine does lots of Hondas. His advice was "run low until you can get more DW-1 instead of putting in something else".

No data behind that, and my experience is limited, but even obscenely expensive DW-1 is cheap enough for me to use it "because he said so".

Full disclosure: I use MaxLife in other cars. The Honda 5-speed is special, I suppose.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
here's my vote
Idemitsu type H-Plus

recently did a drain & fill on my 2007 Pilot awd automatic after having previously done a dw-1 drain-fill last summer and I think after neglect by the previous owner it is finally starting to shift better again !

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've been using Maxlife. Works well, easy to get, known quality product. I would like a bottle of Wolf's Head as a decoration on my shelf though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
done Maxlife X 2 so far and car shifts better than it did with the Honda Fluid it came with. Next time MM tells me to do it it will get a 3rd Maxlife and be 100% or close to 100% new Maxlife. It's good fluid. I run Mobile one in the engine and I get 10-15K miles between MM changes. I run Honda fluid in the rear diff because I have not found any other with the right or same spec. I work in the trucking industry and have oil industry contacts. We buy direct from refineries and they can tell me when and if the label matters. A LOT of oils and fluids are just re-branded identical fluids. Some are not.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,403 Posts
So do most people chose MaxLife due to cost and ease of getting it? Because if that's the only reason, I can't imagine why you would want to cheap out on something so important as your car's transmission.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So do most people chose MaxLife due to cost and ease of getting it? Because if that's the only reason, I can't imagine why you would want to cheap out on something so important as your car's transmission.
It's a known quality product. And Honda 5 and 6 speeds have proven to like it.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't do it for cost cutting. I do it becuase it's = to or even better than DW-1. Honda doesn't make DW-1, they have a refinery do it. The Maxlife is made in the same place and has the same basic ingrediants with a few that make it better. Honda charges a premium for their fluids and sometimes you have to pay it but with the Maxlife you get a fluid that is as good or better for a better price, it's not cheap = lesser quality, it's just not marked up, look at what they charge for oil at the dealer and what walmart does for the same shit. I would love for someone to produce a less expensive but same version of the rear end fluid but it hasn't happened yet that I have been able to find so I bend over and take it at the dealer for that.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use MaxLife ATF because of my personal experience with the long term use of DW-1. It tends to gum up, where using Valvoline MaxLife makes for a cleaner, trouble free transmission and is less susceptible to breaking down due to heat. The convenience of picking it up at Wal-Mart for under $18 a gallon sweetens the deal. Even more when having 2 jugs shipped for free!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some forum members have a synthetic fluid fetish.
True but for good reason. We have commercial trucks that used to need oil changes every 20K miles, we switched them to full synthetic oil from a recommendation from our Shell oil rep and now we get 80-100K miles between changes. Cost is double for the product but huge savings in labor and taking the trucks of a lane 1/4-1/5 of the time we were. They have a new formula coming we may get 160K between changes. This is all done with sample testing sent to their labs to tell us if the oil still meets the manufacturers spec, and they do. We've had no failures caused by not changing the oil at 20K.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
True but for good reason. We have commercial trucks that used to need oil changes every 20K miles, we switched them to full synthetic oil from a recommendation from our Shell oil rep and now we get 80-100K miles between changes. Cost is double for the product but huge savings in labor and taking the trucks of a lane 1/4-1/5 of the time we were. They have a new formula coming we may get 160K between changes. This is all done with sample testing sent to their labs to tell us if the oil still meets the manufacturers spec, and they do. We've had no failures caused by not changing the oil at 20K.
Does the oil filter get changed during the 80-100K interval of usage for the oil, or does the filter last that long, too?

·
Registered
301 Posts
FIlters are designed to last with the oil and they do as the synthetic oil doesn't break down and get dirty as fast as conventional and the engines run cleaner all over. There is some topup needed though as Diesels will use oil but it's not a huge amount. For reference I use Mobile 1 5W20 in my Yaris it's guaranteed to last 20K miles if you use their filter. So I do and I change my oil once a year as I do about 18-22K miles in that car. Been doing that for last 5 years and it saves me soo much time and money and I have to add about 1 quart over the year to keep the level between the dipstick lines. The oil still looks as good as when I put it in when I change it and the Car has 231K miles and counting on it. I am contemplating doing the same 20K interval on the Pilot but the MM tracks more than oil and so I kind of just use it and it gets about 2 changes a year so not too big of extra cost. I like not having to write down on a sticker and track miles between services. I just get the MM light and do what it says and that's been working well.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some forum members have a synthetic fluid fetish.
I wouldn't call it a fetish. I'd call it a higher standard over conventional. DW-1 is made with Dino Oil.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts