Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am planning on replacing my donut with a full sized spare. The question I have it whether or not there is an advantage to buying a matching factory wheel vs. another wheel of the same size? The best pricing I have seen on a used OEM wheel on Ebay is around $250. Doing some quick searching on TireRack there are several options around the $150 mark. I am trying to determine if it is best to just go with an OEM wheel or perhaps save myself some money and go with an aftermarket wheel?

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
IMO unless you plan to do 5-tire rotations try avoid spending 250+150. Used wheel and tire should be decent replacement for the donut.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO unless you plan to do 5-tire rotations try avoid spending 250+150. Used wheel and tire should be decent replacement for the donut.
Thanks! I have the tire already - ran over some rebar with a tire that had 5K miles on it so I replaced the pair. Kept the second for just this. Just trying to figure out the wheel situation at this point.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
33 Posts
Not sure if this influences your decision, but my nearby Honda dealer was pretty resistant to doing the five-wheel rotation during a (not covered by maintenance plan) 30k service. it was pretty clear they weren't going to do it and if I wanted to do the five wheel rotation, I would need to do it on my own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if this influences your decision, but my nearby Honda dealer was pretty resistant to doing the five-wheel rotation during a (not covered by maintenance plan) 30k service. it was pretty clear they weren't going to do it and if I wanted to do the five wheel rotation, I would need to do it on my own.
Thanks! No plans for the rotation - just want to get rid of that donut!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Not sure what year or trim level you have?

I purchased a take off wheel from a dealer in Nevada via eBay for my 2019 Touring with the 20 inch rim size. I was able to find a used matching brand and model tire which was almost brand new and also purchased a new TPMS sensor for the wheel. All in with shipping, tax, and then having it mounted and balanced locally I was around $300.00

I wanted the security of having a full size spare since we do a lot of driving vacations, sometimes 4000 or 5000 miles per trip. I also wanted a matching wheel just in case I were to curb rash one of the ones on there now. I would then place the curb rashed one as the spare and install the like new one in it's place.

Not planning on a 5 tire rotation, just wanted something to match if I had to put it on, and have an extra in case of wheel damage to any of the others.

Try looking on this linked site also for a used wheel, sometimes you can find nice ones for a low cost. Or check the classified on this forum also.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
33 Posts
I got the full size spare with matching tire when we knew we would be towing a travel trailer. In my opinion, that makes a donut spare a deal breaker.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - I have a 2019 Touring w/ the 20 inch wheels as well. All good points. Seems like best bet is to go with a Honda OEM wheel. Just need to find one for less than the dealers would like for me to spend!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here's one from car-part.com which includes the TPMS sensor for 205.00 Just need to see what they would be willing to ship it for, I believe this one is in Wisconsin

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here's one from car-part.com which includes the TPMS sensor for 205.00 Just need to see what they would be willing to ship it for, I believe this one is in Wisconsin

View attachment 141093
Replaced mine thanks to the help/referral from @ls973800 early last year from getting curb rash at In-n-out. Try to contact the seller to see if they’ll throw in the tpms sensor. They did for me!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Replaced mine thanks to the help/referral from @ls973800 early last year from getting curb rash at In-n-out. Try to contact the seller to see if they’ll throw in the tpms sensor. They did for me!
If it was at an In-n-Out it was almost worth it then!!!! 🍔🍟🍨

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
884 Posts
Looks like there is a $100 core charge? Is that normal??
NO it is not. Core charges are usually on items which can be refurbished such as alternators, radiators, some electronic items, brake calipers, etc.

Some places which redo wheels do charge a core fee or an exchange for another wheel. Most salvage yards don't though.

Did you contact them and speak to them, or is this something you saw in their postings?

Here is a link from eBay to the seller where I purchased my wheel back in 2019. He provided free shipping on a wheel which was like new. This one posted is used and over $90.00 shipping!
You could contact them as I spoke to them when I purchased and they were extremely friendly and helpful.

20 Inch Touring Wheel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NO it is not. Core charges are usually on items which can be refurbished such as alternators, radiators, some electronic items, brake calipers, etc.

Some places which redo wheels do charge a core fee or an exchange for another wheel. Most salvage yards don't though.

Did you contact them and speak to them, or is this something you saw in their postings?

Here is a link from eBay to the seller where I purchased my wheel back in 2019. He provided free shipping on a wheel which was like new. This one posted is used and over $90.00 shipping!
You could contact them as I spoke to them when I purchased and they were extremely friendly and helpful.

20 Inch Touring Wheel
Thanks for the help! Saw it in their posting this evening, will try and reach out to them tomorrow. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ended up getting one from Pam's Auto w/ TPMS for $250 shipped. Was a bit more than I wanted to spend but am glad to have found an OEM wheel and having TPMS is a bonus. I have the tire already. It will make me feel much better on our multi thousand mile road trips having the full size spare! Thanks for all of the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts