Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
2017 EX-L- 18 Inch wheels.

I sourced a 18 inch Acura Wheel to replace by 17 inch doughnut temporary spare.

I recently replaced my disappointing OEM Bridgestone Duelers at ~26K miles. I kept the best looking Dueler and recently sourced a 18 inch Acura wheel that will fit and had the Bridgestone mounted for a spare.

My Problem, I lowered the space-saver spare that is held in with the familiar steel cord that has a black fiber "T" kind of set-up to thread through the hole in the middle of the space-saver steel wheel,.......Well, My Acura wheel does NOT have a hole in the middle to thread the black fiber "T" that is attached to the steel cord that will allow me to life the spare into place.

How can I attach the Acura wheel to allow me to hoist the full sized spare into place?

I hope I've been descriptive enough. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
There is no removeable center cap on the acura wheel?

Interestingly enough, my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab XLT, yadda yadda- came with 5 full size Mag wheels!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Does the Acura wheel have a removable center cap? The center cap should push out and not in
oh, you're dead, I beat you to the draw! LOL
He'll get back to us

I should have said you have to knock it out with the back of a big screwdriver or something like that.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been stressed out being on the road with an ailing relative,.....It's no excuse but the ACURA ceter cap popped right off and I'll have no trouble hoisting the full sized spare into place now.'

'Thank you,

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm sorry to hear/read about your sick relative.
Glad you got it figured out! Glad to help!
Stay safe Pilot Brother!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Well at least you've tested your spare tire lowering assembly unlike some member on here that has never touched it in 16 years..... :unsure:
Hope all is well with the relative
Taking down my spare to D&F the rear end easier on our 15, I know that one is working right now. Took me a minute to figure out the wrench that went over the pulley gear post. Then I got a socket and wratchet to make it easier in my garage.
Come to think of it, I odn't remember when the last time the 08 came down.
NOw it will be soon.

I read those posts about the mechanism freezing up with rust and becoming unoperational too!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Taking down my spare to D&F the rear end easier on our 15, I know that one is working right now. Took me a minute to figure out the wrench that went over the pulley gear post. Then I got a socket and wratchet to make it easier in my garage.
Come to think of it, I odn't remember when the last time the 08 came down.
NOw it will be soon.

I read those posts about the mechanism freezing up with rust and becoming unoperational too!
I will test that deluxe feature one day soon and post my findings of faulty or inoperable mechanisms. Been quite lucky for a long long time (16+)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes indeed I have tested my spare tire assembly operation,....And it works well.

Friday I'll drive, again, Las Vegas Nevada to Portland, Oregon,.......1171 miles from my Dad's home to mine. I'm good for about 700-800 miles, after that it's real tough for me. I don't want to go to a hotel barbecue my immune system is compromised so I pull off in rest stops for cat naps when I can't take the fatigue.

You guys are the best, thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
642 Posts
I will test that deluxe feature one day soon and post my findings of faulty or inoperable mechanisms. Been quite lucky for a long long time (16+)
When was the last time you checked the air pressure on the spare? The donut on my '17 Accord had never been checked. It was down to 24 psi, should be 60 psi. Luckily I haven't needed one in many years but I have helped others and really $uck$ when you r spare is flat when you put it on.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
When was the last time you checked the air pressure on the spare? The donut on my '17 Accord had never been checked. It was down to 24 psi, should be 60 psi. Luckily I haven't needed one in many years but I have helped others and really $uck$ when you r spare is flat when you put it on.
Honestly, never after 125K...but it's time and I will post that psi and pics too. I have kept an air pump, tire plugs, straps, LED light, jumper cables, lug wrench and tools. I'm probably on my third set of tires OEM Dueler>BFG T/A Tour>Bridgestone Alenza

·
Registered
642 Posts
Honestly, never after 125K...but it's time and I will post that psi and pics too. I have kept an air pump, tire plugs, straps, LED light, jumper cables, lug wrench and tools. I'm probably on my third set of tires OEM Dueler>BFG T/A Tour>Bridgestone Alenza
You might want to consider checking the date code also. If it does hold air still AND you need to use it, put it on the rear and don't drive fast. It might look good but might be ready to blow out as soon as it starts rolling.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
How stale are your OEM donuts after all these years?

Probably only useful for a kiddie swing hanging from a branch in the backyard at this point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Pilot EX-L was sold new in Nov. of 2017 and as expected the donut spare is in top shape. (When I replaced it) (And my donut spare is a 17 inch wheel and my EX-L came with 18 inch wheels.)

Knowing that the donut is actually fairly expensive to replace, (with another donut) and a full sized spare fits in it's place, it difficult to understand why they don't just provide a full sized spare,....

·
Registered
642 Posts
My Pilot EX-L was sold new in Nov. of 2017 and as expected the donut spare is in top shape. (When I replaced it) (And my donut spare is a 17 inch wheel and my EX-L came with 18 inch wheels.)

Knowing that the donut is actually fairly expensive to replace, (with another donut) and a full sized spare fits in it's place, it difficult to understand why they don't just provide a full sized spare,....
weight and cost of steel 17" vs. alloy 18" plus tire cost.

Your thinking like an owner not a Honda bean counter. My new to me '17 Accord LX (base model) doesn't even have the small bulb in the window switches to see them at night. Just the one drivers window switch, never mind heated mirrors or common wiring with higher models for adding or upgrading radio or anything else.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Well at least you've tested your spare tire lowering assembly unlike some member on here that has never touched it in 16 years..... :unsure:
Hope all is well with the relative
You realize that under the Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, the 5th to be exact, you do have the right to not self incriminate.

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

You have the right to talk an attorney and to have an attorney present during questioning.

If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you.

If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You realize that under the Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, the 5th to be exact, you do have the right to not self incriminate.

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

You have the right to talk an attorney and to have an attorney present during questioning.

If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you.

If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.
I know people that have heard those words recited to them up close and multiple times :rolleyes: .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts