Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a full size spare. I'd like one for trailering or if I get a flat while driving on the beach. Tire Rack doesn't offer a steel wheel yet. Has anyone priced a Honda wheel, steel or alloy, yet? Does the Honda option come with a Goodyear integrity mounted already?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess I hadn't thought of that myself. I trailer as well. Is the current spare one of those minis? Will a full spare fit in the same location?

Joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have called three dealers so far and no one knows. I asked Tim (HondacuraWorld.com) and he didn't know either. Logically it should fit since if you have a flat and remove the spare there needs to be room for the flat tire. One may not be able to put it inside if you are on a trip and fully loaded (that is the one advantage of having the spare under the compartment- no unloading necessary to get to it). Even a flat tire is still about the same size as its fully inflated counterpart.
My wife says she will call American Honda tomorrow morning. I need to get Tim the order so he can get it for me before I go away in 1 1/2 weeks.

White EXL it's on the Hondacura World pricesheet at $170. for an alloy and that includes shipping. You need to add a $2. handling charge. I think the thread is under Accessories. My wife is trying to talk me into buying a Michelin Cross Terrain Outlined Raised white letter spare in the hope that I'll buy another 4 after vacation. She loves the way ORWL tires look (she had them on her Subaru Outback) and has spent way too much time on the MDX board reading comparisons of the Goodyears tires vs the Michelins.

I'll post a followup when I hear from American Honda.

djs
#9131 SS EX RB<FOGS< HTCHw/coolers<FLAPS<TRAY and hopefully full size alloy spare and All season mats from Tim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock spare is a mini. A full size rim and tire will fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I saw a photo of a tricked out CRV on some other post, it had BFG all Terrains and white lettering, It looked awesome. I'm considering a second set of wheels and tires, 17". Debating the same issue. Convert the stock wheels to winter with decent snows? Get some 17" with MDX size tires ? Maybe a little better performance? White letters? Too many questions...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Make sure the spare is the same diameter as the new tires.
You don't want the 4wd thinking one wheel is always slipping.
The mini spare is the same diameter, just thinner width.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All set

I just ordered a Pilot LX steel wheel from Tim at hondacuraworld. It's 16"x6.5" and will accept the correct size GY Integrity tire. By the By, I ordered the trailer hitch from them, no PS & ATF cooler. I only trailer light loads 5 miles to the dump.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wife called American Honda this morning. A full size spare with either an Alloy or a steel rim will indeed fit in the compartment that now houses the space saver. She ordered an Alloy from Tim @hondacuraworld. I will look for an Integrity tire locally.

N_Jay this diameter thing also applies to worn tires. I don't want to think about changing the OEMs right now so much to my wife's chagrin there will be no Outlined Raised white letter tires on this Pilot right now.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe

Guess you could change the spare, and not rotate it with teh other four, till you feel that they are worn enough to justify (rationalize) dumping. Then you will have 5 the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
N_Jay that's a good idea but like you I realize that the diameter may be different on the Cross Terrains. If I need to use the spare sooner rather than later it could become an issue if the difference is substantial. On my Forester there is a fuse I can remove to disable the slip. I am not that far along in the owner's manual of the Pilot and this system is very different than the Subaru (5 speed /50-50 split all wheel drive). I would rather not mess with it.
Worst case when I replace the tires if the spare is new I'll just dismount it and sell it to a new Pilot owner for not too much money.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tire with hitch

My dealer said that you could install the full size spare even with the trailer hitch. I installed the Hidden Hitch and can confirm that there is clearance for a full size spare.

The alloy you ordered from Tim - is it the same as what's on the Pilot right now?

Just curious why you would spend money for an alloy to keep under the vehicle unless you plan on rotating it in with the maintence schedule.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1. Weight. If I need to use it it will be lighter that a steel rim. The tire probably weighs 20-25 lb. so we are not talking a lightweight setup to begin with.

2. Aesthetics. My wife would not tolerate a steel rim as the fourth wheel on her vehicle even for a short period of time.

3. Backup rim. If something cosmetic happens one of the other rims I now have another one ready to go.

4. No rotation. Knowing this is primarily a front wheel drive vehicle I don't expect these Integrity tires to wear particularly well.
The 97 Outback which the Pilot replaced had 61,000 miles on Michelin MXV4s and they were not even close to needing to be replaced. I expect 25000-30000 miles on the Integrity tires and will be looking to replace the set.

#09131 EX
PS yes the alloy I ordered is the clone to the ones that come on a Pilot.

·
Registered
664 Posts
djs
Since other people are thinking the same thing...What was the damage for the alloy? Any plans on extra protection since it will be sitting underneath the vehicle?

·
Registered
102 Posts
bannigjr it was $170. shipped. I will probably look for a nylon/type cover for it to keep it clean. I had an exterior cover on my last Wrangler and it did a good job of keeping the tire very clean. This should actually be easier I think. Time will tell.

·
Registered
236 Posts
djs

Thanks for the info.

Interesting on the tire wear. My Integra came with Michelins and I hated them in the snow. Replaced them with Goodyears and liked them much better.

I know we're comparing apples to oranges to an extent (car versus light truck tires), but I was the exact opposite on wear.

Let me know what you come up with on the cover for the spare. Sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bengelking,

Frankly my observation is based on what I have read on this and the sister MDX forum. The MDX board members have many more miles on their vehicles and I paid close attention because traction is important (not only in snow but on wet payment). The Outback I had would have probably loved almost any tire I put on it; it was a 5 speed which in Subaru speak it had 50 /50 all wheel drive all the time. It handled like a stock car. Because all four wheels were drive wheels tire wear was very even (rotated every 7500 miles). The Pilot outweighs the Outback by about 1200 lbs and is mostly front wheel drive and between these two things I think a good tire will last 50,000 miles tops. Traction is everything so when tires start to not stick effectively I like to replace them.

I have not driven the Pilot on wet pavement yet so I am in no position to give any assessment of their wet capability. Maybe someone on the board has some input here?

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
236 Posts
djs

You are correct.

No wet weather here in a very long time! Grass looks like hay - however, no mowing:4: !!

We're due for a big storm this afternoon so I'm hoping to test it out a little bit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We were in the same boat a few months back. Then June came and saved our skins.
Those poor folks in Texas are literally drowning.

Hope you get some rain soon.

#09131 SS EX

1 - 18 of 18 Posts