Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Just got back from the camping trip from Hell.......rain, muddy toddler and more rain. After the car was totally packed up (earlier than we planned), I blew a sidewall on one of my Integrity's when accidentially hit a concrete drainage structure (no other damage was done).

So now I have one new Michelin Cross-Terrain (no integrities to be found out there in the boonies) with three Integrities that have only about 5,000 miles on them. I want to keep all the tires the same - so my first thought was to get a full size rim from a junkyard and use the cross terrain as a full size spare. To my surprise, I can't seem to get it to fit under the car. I have a Draw-Tite hitch installed, and it seems as if the full size tire won't fit by a BIG margin.

Should it fit? I've seen others with a full size spare while using the OEM hitch......and it would seem that the hidden hitch would work as well......

I actually like the Cross Terrain more than the integrity (who wouldn't - but I guess that's a matter for debate)

Ugh.....I guess I may just keep the Cross terrain in the shed until I'm ready for a full set.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hmmm...I was a CT mounted on a steel wheel as a spare and do not have any problems mounting it underneath the car. However, I have a Honda hitch, not the Draw-Tite.

Odd-

·
Registered
620 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Hmmm...I was a CT mounted on a steel wheel as a spare and do not have any problems mounting it underneath the car. However, I have a Honda hitch, not the Draw-Tite.

Odd-
What?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You may already know this but the spare doesn't actually fit in what looks like a well for it. instead part of the tire rests on a kind of lip toward the front (very close to the center suspension bolts) of the Pilot and at an angle, not at all flush with the floor. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Just curious

idloveaguinness said:
... - so my first thought was to get a full size rim from a junkyard and use the cross terrain as a full size spare. To my surprise, I can't seem to get it to fit under the car. ...
Does the rim you bought fit on the car ? I thought there was something unique about the Honda rims (i.e., you can't just use any ol' rim).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't actually get the junk rim yet......I tried to get the C-T up into the spare area on the regular rim. Glad I tried first.........

I'll try again using davedude's shots as inspiration. If that works, I'll investigate a rim.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the prognosis - A full size spare will NOT fit if you have the draw-tite hitch. For me, this is less of an issue, as I will not actually be towing anything - just bikes and a carrier back there - so the donut will be O.K. if I am ever to need it.

FYI - there is only about 1" of clearance with the donut - so a full size just aint gonna fit - and by a large margin.

Oh well......

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Here's the prognosis - A full size spare will NOT fit if you have the draw-tite hitch. For me, this is less of an issue, as I will not actually be towing anything - just bikes and a carrier back there - so the donut will be O.K. if I am ever to need it.

FYI - there is only about 1" of clearance with the donut - so a full size just aint gonna fit - and by a large margin.

Oh well......
I'm looking at buying a hitch right now. My fleet sales guy referred me to a place that sells draw tite. The guy there is calling to find out if they have a hitch that will allow a full size spare to fit.

Are you saying that the full size spare won't fit EVEN with the Honda OEM version??

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
florida_guy said:

Are you saying that the full size spare won't fit EVEN with the Honda OEM version??
The full size spare fits just fine with the Honda hitch.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
N_Jay said:

The full size spare fits just fine with the Honda hitch.
Thanks. I've been reading all the threads and there is some confusing info.

Is the Honda hitch the only one that allows the full size spare to fit?

Can I get just the Honda hitch without the coolers if I don't do it myself?

How much is just the hitch and wiring harness. I couldn't find it on the Honda site.

I simply would not be comfortable doing this myself.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

Thanks. I've been reading all the threads and there is some confusing info.

Is the Honda hitch the only one that allows the full size spare to fit?

Can I get just the Honda hitch without the coolers if I don't do it myself?

How much is just the hitch and wiring harness. I couldn't find it on the Honda site.

I simply would not be comfortable doing this myself.
The hitch is $199 at hondacuraworld, and even I would feel comfortable doing that install myself. The harness is $37.70, but I wouldn't try to install it myself.

Look at http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...D&Product_Code=08L92-S9V-100&Category_Code=HP

and

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...D&Product_Code=08L92-S9V-100&Category_Code=HP

Hitch install instructions: https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/pilot/trailerhitch.pdf

Harness install instructions:
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/pilot/trailerhitchharness.pdf

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:

The hitch is $199 at hondacuraworld, and even I would feel comfortable doing that install myself. The harness is $37.70, but I wouldn't try to install it myself.
The wire harness is EASIER than the Hitch.

Any shop that does hitches can do the the Honda hitch, just take it with you.

Actually any mechanic you like can install both.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jay said:
Thanks for the links! The aftermarket guy says that the "Curt" hitch he has in stock is designed for the spare that the car comes with from the factory.... i.e. they don't guarantee the full size will fit.

I called my fleet sales guy and he said the hitch alone was $493.96 at his cost. When I told him about $199 on the Internet he said he would check into it and get back to me.

The aftermarket guy said he would install the hitch for $40 and the harness for $30 so that is one option. I need this hitch by Tuesday morning or I will have to rent a U-Haul truck. I wonder what the fastest way to get a hitch would be at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
florida_guy said:

Thanks for the links! The aftermarket guy says that the "Curt" hitch he has in stock is designed for the spare that the car comes with from the factory.... i.e. they don't guarantee the full size will fit.

I called my fleet sales guy and he said the hitch alone was $493.96 at his cost. When I told him about $199 on the Internet he said he would check into it and get back to me.

The aftermarket guy said he would install the hitch for $40 and the harness for $30 so that is one option. I need this hitch by Tuesday morning or I will have to rent a U-Haul truck. I wonder what the fastest way to get a hitch would be at a reasonable price.
This is what I sent you before:
Florida_guy, here is the data on the Honda hitch I bought back in January. Total install time was less than 1 1/2 hours:
%<
The following order has been received from Cheap Honda Parts

1 x Trailer Hitch, Trailer Hitch (08L92-S9V-100)
@ Dollar 186.25 each (+ Dollar 0 tax)

1 x Trailer Hitch Harness, Trailer Hitch Harness (08L91-S9V-100)
@ Dollar 36.25 each (+ Dollar 0 tax)

Order Value (ex tax) = Dollar 222.50
Tax = Dollar 0.00
Shipping Choice = Dollar

Total (inc tax & shipping) = Dollar 222.50
>%

Prices have changed some since then, but I would have a hard time believing more than 10%.

IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TO INSTALL THIS YOURSELF! Even if you are a numb-nuts!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
florida_guy said:

If you can get your hands on a hitch, the $70 install is not terrible.

The trick will be getting a local Honda dealer down to HAW's price.

There are a few Honda dealers in CA that sell on the internet. Many will match price. One might let you do a "will call".

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well, I priced it out... from HondaAcuraWorld.com I get
Hitch $199, Wiring Harness $37.70, 2" Ball $11.70, S/H $3.95 for a total of $252.35. I can have the aftermarket guy install it for $70 or find someone to help me do it.

I know that I'll be sorry if I get an aftermarket one and end up not being able to fit a full size tire underneath the car.

Don't know if I'll be able to get this done by Tuesday morning when I need to pick up the office furniture that I lucked into for free.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
colorider said:

This is what I sent you before:
Florida_guy, here is the data on the Honda hitch I bought back in January. Total install time was less than 1 1/2 hours:
%<
The following order has been received from Cheap Honda Parts

IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TO INSTALL THIS YOURSELF! Even if you are a numb-nuts!!!! :eek:
? I must have missed it. Sorry. Was this recently?

I guess I can try installing it myself or try to get a friend to help me. If it doesn't work out I can pay the $70 to have it done.

You really have no idea how much trouble I have with stuff like this though. :bonk:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
N_Jay said:

yada yada yada......
Honda dealers in CA . . . . yada yada
Silly me, what was I thinking:bonk:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts