Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether a full size spare will fit in place of the OEM spare tire. Is the dealer where you would buy the additional full size tire? Thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
okii said:
Does anyone know whether a full size spare will fit in place of the OEM spare tire. Is the dealer where you would buy the additional full size tire? Thanks
If the full size tire did not fit there where would you put it when the spare is on? :confused:

I would get a factory alloy from another person here, or off ebay, or go with a steel wheel from Tirerack.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
okii said:
It will fit I've been told. there is another thread on this subject, its in classified i believe.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Will fit, a little visible from behind. Someone posted a picture a while back.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We've got a full size Michilin X Terrain spare. It is BARELY visible from the back. Only a TINY bit on the left. You have to look real hard (just went out and checked). We got the wheel from Discount Tires who bought it from s/one on ebay. It matches our other EX wheels.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There's also a thread that discusses the fit of a full size spare with the trailer hitch installed.

But, I agree with N_Jay, if you had a flat and had to use the space saver spare, where would you put the flat tire? From time to time, forum members will post wheels or wheel/tire combos for sale (once they have upgraded). That's how I picked up an LX wheel for use as my full size spare.

·
Registered
328 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

But, I agree with N_Jay, if you had a flat and had to use the space saver spare, where would you put the flat tire? From time to time, forum members will post wheels or wheel/tire combos for sale (once they have upgraded). That's how I picked up an LX wheel for use as my full size spare.
Wouldn't you put the flat tire where the spare had been, ie. underneath the car? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

Wouldn't you put the flat tire where the spare had been, ie. underneath the car? :confused:
Yes, that is what I meant, sorry if the sarcasm was misunderstood:2:

·
Registered
483 Posts
2GREENCARS said:
We've got a full size Michilin X Terrain spare. It is BARELY visible from the back. Only a TINY bit on the left. You have to look real hard (just went out and checked). We got the wheel from Discount Tires who bought it from s/one on ebay. It matches our other EX wheels.
If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just to close the loop, I finally bought the tire for my full size spare. Replaced the space saving spare. Everything looks okay - in fact, there seems to be plenty of room for the full size spare tire.

·
Registered
328 Posts
tonyrwc said:
If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you?
Sure, no porblem. It was TOO expensive and like everything else, we SHOULD HAVE SHOPPED AROUND. I think it was like $185 which was EXACTLY what Honda would have charged us (my memory is so full of figures that I could be completely wrong!). We debated what to do and realized if we had a flat, we'd like to just swap over the tires/wheels and then replace the tire on the flat rather than having to switch over again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

Sure, no porblem. It was TOO expensive and like everything else, we SHOULD HAVE SHOPPED AROUND. I think it was like $185 which was EXACTLY what Honda would have charged us (my memory is so full of figures that I could be completely wrong!). We debated what to do and realized if we had a flat, we'd like to just swap over the tires/wheels and then replace the tire on the flat rather than having to switch over again.
Thank you 2GREENCARS, I was just trying to make sure I wasnt going to pay to much for my full size spare. :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here is my FS spare...Michelin XT mounted on a LX-styled steel wheel from The Tire Rack...

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
timchen said:
Will fit, a little visible from behind. Someone posted a picture a while back.
Well I finally found a full size spare, it is a EX wheel and tire. Actually a little more of the tire shows than I was expecting from reading some of the posts. It is visible from the back of the vehicle, about an inch shows while standing behind the vehicle from around 20 feet. Ground clearance wont be a problem since the rear suspension hangs lower.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sadly the logic of the flat tire having to fit where the spare was is flawed! There are many vehicles where the full size flat won't fit:(
Fortunately in the Pilot's case it will:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Busted tire after flat....

Hey guys,

If I had the room I believe that I would put it in the cargo area.

That way I have to see it until I get it fixed. Especially of you have a matching rim and tire.

I know if I put it under the vehicle I might forget about it....

I guess with the donut spare you would get so sick of looking at it and not being able to driver far / fast , you would fix it fast.....

;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
AlH said:
Sadly the logic of the flat tire having to fit where the spare was is flawed! There are many vehicles where the full size flat won't fit
Yes, such as the Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This will sound stupid I know, and dont remind me o.k., but for those that have the full size spare thats an alloy, did you mount it with the finished side facing up or down?

I installed mine with the finished side facing up, my thought was this way the finish wouldnt get nicks and chips from rocks while driving if I mounted it this way.

The reason I am asking this, was as I stated earlier , my tire shows a little more than what I expected from reading some of the other posts from our members. I didnt even bother to see how it would look if I mounted it with the finished side facing down. I dont think it would matter though since the tire seems to bottom out on the under side of the vehicle. :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts