Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, anyone tried to fit full-size Spare wheel and tire under the trunk where spare usually resides? Any issues?

What about size +1. I have 30.6 tire and would like to Carry a spare. Is there enough room?

Hitch carrier for spare seems unpractical and so does the roof rack. Fitting inside seems like the only alternative.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Many Piloteers have full size spare tires underneath. Aftermarket hitches have proved to be a problem for some.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Added the factory 20" wheel and tire to replace the temporary small spare under the car. No problem with it fitting. I don't have a tow hitch but as stated above, those with a factory hitch have had no problems. Aftermarket hitches may not allow it to fit.

Not sure what a "30.6" tire is unless that's the circumference? My factory 245 X 50 X 20 is showing as 29.6 inches. I don't recall how much extra room there is to allow a larger size since I haven't been under the car and had the tire down since this fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to follow up this thread to see if anyone has been able to fit a 30.5" tire under the Pilot in the spare tire storage area? If so was this done with or without the OEM trailer hitch? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
33 Posts
Not sure I know what a 30.5" tire equates to, but I have a full size 20-in alloy spare with a 245/50R20 on it, In the standard location with the OEM towing hitch on my 2018.

Unless you need to insert something that passes all the way through the receiver and intrudes into the spare storage area, it works fine - I think you don't have even an inch of space between the hitch receiver and the spare, however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From tiresize.com the 245/50/R20 size is 29.6" and 30.5" tire would have .9" larger diameter. It seems that it might be a tight squeeze or not even fit. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-AWD, 6 Speed,Sapphire, S-VCM, Factory tow with extra cooling
22 Posts
From tiresize.com the 245/50/R20 size is 29.6" and 30.5" tire would have .9" larger diameter. It seems that it might be a tight squeeze or not even fit. Thanks for the info
I have the factory size 18” tire on a full size rim it is of course 29.6” diameter and I have the factory hitch. I measured today after changing rear end fluid , I used a 1/4” board and it just fits between the tire and the back of the hitch receiver since that is the tightest place. So a 1/2” bigger diameter tire will fit easy ,meaning 30.1 diameter . If you let air out I’ve seen people fit bigger tires. Pictures below. 2020 Pilot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts